A Test: Political & Social Compass

Old January 14th 04, 08:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side or
the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-) When I

True, but you miss the point that a person, parent can work, and still feel
their children/family is the top priority. Work to live, not live to work.
What is common perception here, is that all working parents have the same
attitude, unless they're "poor & have to"

Ellice, did you take the test?
Dianne

Old January 15th 04, 02:36 AM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side or
the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-) When I
lived in Illinois, a neighbor did just that: Dad stayed home, PhD mom
brought home the bacon. Somebody has to raise the children. Day Care, in
the main, isn't teaching child basic manners and civil behaviors.
Unless, of course, you make a zillion dollars and can afford the type of
Day Care that does this responsibly and has sufficient staff to do it
responsibly.

The question as you relayed it here was NOT gender neutral. You said
that one cannot be a good mother without being a homemaker. I disagree.
Even if you make it gender neutral by saying one cannot be a good
parent without being a homemaker, it still doesn't hold. Some parents
work, even in dual parent households (duh). The working parent is not
automatically a lesser parent.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old January 15th 04, 07:18 AM
Ellice

On 1/14/04 2:36 PM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side or
the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-) When I

True, but you miss the point that a person, parent can work, and still feel
their children/family is the top priority. Work to live, not live to work.
What is common perception here, is that all working parents have the same
attitude, unless they're "poor & have to"

Ellice, did you take the test?

Yup. Amazingly - I'm evidently right about the same as the Dalai Lama -
alhtough I don't know what that really says about anything. Left of center,
south of authoritarian. Almost dead center of the Lower Left. But what I was
referring to above was your conversation with Elizabeth (IIRC) which was
more open to the whole idea of the working mother, parent - although it
stemmed from the question in the test.

And, FWIW, the question about the homemaker was specific to women, as in "A
mother's primary job is to be a homemaker" - or close to it.

I just haven't felt like jumping in much on this - but I think the questions
were written clearly with some bias. The first, what you felt interesting,
is that they force you to choose a response, and don't allow the "no
opinion" option. The wording on some of the questions is clearly designed to
make you think about which way it's being presented. In statistics, when you
design a test, there is an art to the presentation of a "null hypothesis" -
frequently a problem is stated so that in essence you prove by
contradiction, or set up your basic hypothesis to be what you actually don't
want to show as true. And people who design questionnaires work hard at the
wording - sometimes to put a positive thought first, or to try and bias for
a desired result. It can be very subtle. Even the scales that you use for
your answers have different qualities - the order - do they go from negative
to positive, is it a number, is it a scale, etc.

Honestly, for me - there was no great surprise - I know that I'm a strong
believer in civil liberties, but also somewhat "pragmatic" with regard to
how the world, politics work, and what I feel may be necessary in the course
of protecting the right to live as luxuriously, frivolously, as we do - i.e.
Being able to have nice roads, clean public facilities, schools, sports,
time to do needlework, free time for entertainment. So, in many opinions
that may make me somewhat conservative (not my word) with regard to defense,
the need for it, and where I place my skepticism. Since I know people who
abuse the system - in uniform and out, and in the media - I just share it
all around ;^)

ellice

Old January 15th 04, 07:20 AM
Ellice

On 1/14/04 8:36 PM,"Dr. Brat" posted:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
[...]

Exactly - well said, Elizabeth. IME - some of our working parent friends
seem to be truly good parents - of course, that is to the point that they
are perpetually tired. OTOH, some non-working parents I know are pretty
crappy (as in self-centered, and yelling a lot) parents. One circumstance of
life doesn't necessarily dictate the other in this particular example - at
least in my opinion.

Ellice

Old January 15th 04, 05:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I know. I retracted the "gender neutral" part in a later post. g
But one has to be careful, in our current society, to make sweeping
statements either way. Working parents are not necessarily the
"lesser", but they're not necessarily the "equal", either. It's a
case-by-case situation. Judging by public information ads,
documentaries I've seen, articles I've read, we're pretty mixed up about
parenting these days.
Dianne

Dr. Brat wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side
or the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-)
When I lived in Illinois, a neighbor did just that: Dad stayed home,

Old January 18th 04, 01:39 PM
Cryn

Dr. Brat wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

[...]

The way I read that question was that if your children are your priority,
all your life decisions will incorporate that. Whether or not you have to
work, you still do your best by them. The opposite end of the scale would
be the parent pursuing personal happiness as a priority and the children
fitting in (or not).

Thanks for the link, Dianne. I feel better about not being 'successful'
when I am in company with Nelson Mandela and Ghandi!!!

Carolyn
U.K.

Old January 18th 04, 05:21 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Cryn wrote:

The way I read that question was that if your children are your priority,
all your life decisions will incorporate that. Whether or not you have to
work, you still do your best by them. The opposite end of the scale would
be the parent pursuing personal happiness as a priority and the children
fitting in (or not).

Thanks for the link, Dianne. I feel better about not being 'successful'
when I am in company with Nelson Mandela and Ghandi!!!

Boy, that's at least four times this morning I've read posts that have
said what I wanted to say and failed miserably. Thank you!! That's how
*I* read that question. It certainly raised a LOT of emotional
reaction. And it did for me when I first read the darn question. I had
to think long and hard before I answered it.

Dianne

compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 04:06 PM
Test post Paulette I. Beads 2 August 14th 04 08:05 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM