How to disinfect a yellow gold diamond ring I inherited

Old October 11th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default How to disinfect a yellow gold diamond ring I inherited

Suzie wrote:

I've even wondered if I am
overreacting to this totally.

You are!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 18th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Nelly

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Suzie wrote:

I've even wondered if I am
overreacting to this totally.

You are!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

I don't know if she was, or wasn't - but I for one choose peace of mind.

Last time I bought a pre-owned ring from non-jeweler I ran it through the
dishwasher. For that matter, that's how I regularly clean one ring which has
no good access to the pavilion facets, and doesn't respond well to my
ultrasonic cleaner. Strategically clamped & placed over jet holes (making
sure shank clears the washer arm), voila. Sparkly clean every time. And safe
to eat off too.

I do this probably at least once a week to this ring. The setting is secure,
the stones (diamond in this case) are nothing someone would ever balk at
putting in any other type of cleaner. Opinions?

Old October 18th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:07:40 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Nelly"
wrote:

Last time I bought a pre-owned ring from non-jeweler I ran it through the
dishwasher. For that matter, that's how I regularly clean one ring which has
no good access to the pavilion facets, and doesn't respond well to my
ultrasonic cleaner. Strategically clamped & placed over jet holes (making
sure shank clears the washer arm), voila. Sparkly clean every time. And safe
to eat off too.

I do this probably at least once a week to this ring. The setting is secure,
the stones (diamond in this case) are nothing someone would ever balk at
putting in any other type of cleaner. Opinions?

First thought.

Geez, I wish my new dishwasher worked that well. Just bought a portable GE
dishwasher from Home Depot. It's a piece of junk. They sent a repair guy to
take a look, which he did, and pronounced it working fine (just listened to it
run, opened the door to see the wash arms moving, and that was enough for
him...) I'm trying to get Home Depot to take it back, but you wouldn't believe
the hassles. So much for their happy customer claims in their so called return
policy.. The darn thing won't even get a load of dishes clean when I pretty
much prewash them... And I'm certain it wouldn't get even a bit of lotion off
a ring's shank. So I'm jealous...

But anyway. That's off topic, but I couldn't resist. And I'm the moderator,
so...

But for your situation, the main things that occur to me are that some
dishwashing detergents contain what amounts to a bit of bleach (sodium
hypochlorite) or similar chlorine compounds. If your's does, this is very bad
for gold alloys, especially white gold ones. It can cause stress cracking that
can lead to prongs breaking off and stones being lost. This same chemistry is
why you're not supposed to put sterling silver in the dishwasher. The
detergents can be too harsh. Not all of them, but some, and it's hard to know
whether your's does or not.

Second, while you say the settings are secure, it's a risk. If a stone falls
out in your ultrasonic cleaner, it stays in the tank and you can find it. If it
falls out in your dishwasher, I suspect it would remain in the innards of the
machine's filter, never likely to be seen again without major disassembly of the
machine. Are you proficient enough as a goldsmith or jeweler to be certain the
stones are safe? Even if prongs look OK, are you sure? It can be deceptive
sometimes.

And a comment, do you actually have an ultrasonic cleaner, or is it just one of
the "sonic" ones that merely vibrate the solution with audible frequencies
(usually something near the 60 hz of line current. There's a big difference,
both in cleaning efficiency and in cost. Most ultrasonic cleaners cost over a
hundred dollars to start, and good ones are several hundred. The reason I say
this is that it would be surprising if an actual ultrasonic cleaner had trouble
cleaning your ring while the dishwasher managed it. If that's the case, then
either something is wrong with your ultrasonic, or you're not using a proper
cleaning solution for the job. The water in an ultrasonic cleaner should be
(just like your dishwasher) hot in order to do the job well. Better ultrasonics
have a heater for just this reason. If yours does not, heat the solution first
(microwave it, if you like). The cleaning solution needs to be a decently
strong detergent, or a cleaning solution specifically made to clean jewelry in
an ultrasonic. You can do the same for less money with decent strong kitchen
liquid detergents such as Mr. Clean or Top Job, to which, if they don't already
have it, you add a bit of ammonia. Do that, and your ultrasonic should be able
to do anything your dishwasher does, or better. Also, give the ultrasonic
enough time to work. less expensive ones can take ten or fifteen minutes to do
a good job. The simple "sonic" cleaners that are not ultrasonic types will
need longer. Even they are not so bad, if the right cleaning agents are used,
and the water is hot, and you give it time.

Hope that helps.

Peter Rowe
moderator
Old October 19th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Nelly

wrote:

[...]

Having once had to put up with a totally lame (new) dishwasher, I'm amazed
any manufacturer would still produce something that's gotten so many
complaints.

But anyway. That's off topic, but I couldn't resist. And I'm the
moderator,
so...

But for your situation, the main things that occur to me are that some
dishwashing detergents contain what amounts to a bit of bleach (sodium
hypochlorite) or similar chlorine compounds. If your's does, this is very
bad for gold alloys, especially white gold ones. It can cause stress cracking
that can lead to prongs breaking off and stones being lost. This same
chemistry is why you're not supposed to put sterling silver in the dishwasher. The
detergents can be too harsh. Not all of them, but some, and it's hard to
know whether your's does or not.

Sounds like the thinness of the metal in prongs puts them at particular
risk. So now I have to ask about long term effects of chlorine in tapwater.
My mother's water, for instance, makes her kitchen smell like a swimming
pool after the faucet's been turned on. (And I wouldn't wear gold in a pool,
either.)
Would a new white gold ring, with rhodium layer intact be harmed? (The
question's purely academic since I don't own any white gold, plated or
otherwise.)

Second, while you say the settings are secure, it's a risk. If a stone
falls out in your ultrasonic cleaner, it stays in the tank and you can find it.
If it falls out in your dishwasher, I suspect it would remain in the innards of
the machine's filter, never likely to be seen again without major disassembly
of the machine. Are you proficient enough as a goldsmith or jeweler to be
certain the stones are safe? Even if prongs look OK, are you sure? It can be
deceptive sometimes.

You're right of course. And I'm no jeweler but I do take the ring in about
every 3 months to have prongs checked & retightened. And sooner if anything
starts getting the least bit "catchy."

[...]

I did mean to enquote "ultrasonic," sorry. Yes it is the cheap vibrating
kind. It's probably the first time I used the thing in 15 years, since for
everything else I've found that a little dental brush pick works nicely. I
left the ring in there for more than an hour using softened, very warm water
(120°F or so) with the prescribed cleaning powder. I suppose if I had been
willing to to pay retail price for the ring (the only ring I wear anymore) I
couldt justify getting a better unit to clean it with.

Hope that helps.

As always.

Peter Rowe
moderator

Old October 19th 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:20:23 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Nelly"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Geez, I wish my new dishwasher worked that well. Just bought a portable
GE dishwasher from Home Depot. It's a piece of junk. ...

Having once had to put up with a totally lame (new) dishwasher, I'm amazed
any manufacturer would still produce something that's gotten so many
complaints.

Agreed. You'd think that if GE can build good jet engines (they do), they'd be
able to figure out a dishwasher. Maybe this is a faulty unit and the repair guy
just wasn't in a position to do more than look and decide whether to have it
replaced or not... Interestingly, today I got an email from Home Depot
corporate office responding to a somewhat bitchy response I sent them along with
a "review" of the dishwasher (they rejected the review, though. Seems I wasn't
supposed to mention Sears name (sears doesn't charge that restocking fee...) But
the email sounds like at least someone there is going to try and make me happy.
And even the response is a pleasant surprise. We'll see how it turns out.

Sounds like the thinness of the metal in prongs puts them at particular
risk. So now I have to ask about long term effects of chlorine in tapwater.
My mother's water, for instance, makes her kitchen smell like a swimming
pool after the faucet's been turned on. (And I wouldn't wear gold in a pool,
either.)

The thinness of the metal in prongs is a bit consideration even if there are no
issues with chlorine or stress corrosion. People wear a ring for years, and it
looks the same, day to day, so they don't realize just how much metal has been
worn off. When the metal gets too thin, it no longer has the strength to resist
being peeled back if for some reason, something catches or knocks the edge of
the stone, so then stones can loosen or be lost. That, of course, can be
serviced, especially with diamonds. Any decent jeweler, if the prongs are too
worn, can build them up or replace them if needed.

As to your mom's tap water, if ti smells like a chlorinated pool, I'd suggest
getting a home water filter of some sort. That sounds nasty. Chlorine in the
water is important to keep it from harboring various nasty things, but by the
time you drink it, it would be best to not have so much there. Chlorine, after
all, is hardly an essential nutrient... (grin) As to the ring, yes, over time,
that can be a problem if it's that strong. The classic situation where chlorine
causes problems with jewelry is with people who use swimming pools or spas
regularly, so the jewelry gets repeated and sometimes extended exposure. The
damage takes time to occur, but you don't see it happening until the metal
cracks and fails. If her tap water is a strong as a swimming pool (I sure hope
it isn't, though), then it would be just as capable of causing damage. But I'm
guessing that though you may smell chlorine in an enclosed kitchen, you probably
don't have as much as a swimming pool. Still, household tap water really
shouldn't have that sort of smell in most cases. Might be worth a phone call to
the water/utility company ti find out if this is normal. Strong smells in the
water can be caused by other things too, which a plumber might be able to fix.

Would a new white gold ring, with rhodium layer intact be harmed? (The
question's purely academic since I don't own any white gold, plated or
otherwise.)

Yes. Rhodium helps, but does not totally seal a surface from all attack. If it
is really heavy, then maybe it would, but given the cost of rhodium metal and
plating solution, few manufacturers use more than needed.

You're right of course. And I'm no jeweler but I do take the ring in about
every 3 months to have prongs checked & retightened. And sooner if anything
starts getting the least bit "catchy."

You're to be commended. That's far more attentiveness to the welfare of the
jewelry than most people show. Many let it go for years without a thought. Kind
of like not visiting a dentist until you've got a toothache... Regular
checkups will allow a sense of security since the ring gets a professional
examination. Given that the store would like to be able to sell you a needed
service, they seldom miss obvious needs for repair (It helps a lot if the
person who's doing the checking is actually a competent goldsmith rather than
just one of the sales people, by the way. Sales people range from well educated
and qualified to work with jewelry, to those who look nice, talk friendly, can
sell you your own mother if they want, but don't actually know anything about
jewelry...

I did mean to enquote "ultrasonic," sorry. Yes it is the cheap vibrating
kind. It's probably the first time I used the thing in 15 years, since for
everything else I've found that a little dental brush pick works nicely. I
left the ring in there for more than an hour using softened, very warm water
(120°F or so) with the prescribed cleaning powder. I suppose if I had been
willing to to pay retail price for the ring (the only ring I wear anymore) I
couldt justify getting a better unit to clean it with.

One of the things about those little vibrating units is that they are sold with
no knowledge on the part of the manufacturer or seller as to what you're going
to put in there. Some jewelry is much more fragile chemically (like pearls, for
example), so the cleaning powders they supply are very gentle detergents,
nothing more. That means they won't harm most types of jewelry, but it also
means they won't harm more stubborn dirt and grime. With gold or platinum, and
diamonds and some other durable stones, you can use considerably more aggressive
means to clean the jewelry.

As I described before, the same sort of liquid kitchen detergents you might use
to clean the wax off that kitchens tile floor, such as Mr. Clean, Top Job, Ajax
liquid, or others, mixed to a pretty strong solution and with, if it's not
already there, a bit of ammonia added... That sort of cleaning solution will do
a lot more than those simple powders they supply with the cleaners. Next, is
temperature. Again, not all jewelry can withstand this treatment, but most of
it can. Don't just gently warm it. Boil it. Put a saucepan of that cleaning
solution on the stove and simmer to just below boiling (you don't want it
boiling over, after all). Unfold a paper clip to a hook so you can hang the
ring on that hook over the side of the saucepan. Let is simmer for a while (15
minutes or so should do the trick). That level of heating will cause most of
the stuff that gets gunked into a ring, to melt (it's grease, wax, dried lotion,
etc), which lets the solution get it off much better. Then rinse and/or brush
off with an old toothbrush or the like.

Prior to the invention of ultrasonic cleaners, goldsmiths were faced with the
same problem they now have after buffing and polishing the jewelry. It's packed
full of the polishing compounds, which are also wax or grease based (the
binders, at least, for the polishing agent). So an aggtessive cleaning method
is needed as part of normal jewelry making and repair. Before ultrasonics, most
jewelers would use what was called a "boil out pot". That amounts to the same
setup I just described, though often, the cleaning agent used would be even
stronger (like straight lye, sometimes... Nasty stuff) Jewelers got along with
that set up for a long time without ultrasonics, and we still use such a method
when cleaning things that cannot withstand the high energy of an ultrasonic.

The main thing, though, is that this is for gold and platinum and harder gems.
Don't do this to pearls, amber, turqoise, lapis, malachite, coral, glass
foilbacks, costume jewelry, anything with stones that are glued in, etc. And be
careful with cleaning silver. Some of the stronger cleaning agents can tarnish
it. Above all, don't ever add bleach to the cleaning solution. Ammonia yes,
bleach no.

Cheers

Peter
Old October 21st 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:

[...]

Weve had the same dish washer for some 40 yrs, it does all the
glassess, then the plates then sausepans all in that order,
This type of washer is hard to find , there rare especially here in the uk.
Ours is also self propelled, ie it will use its radar to locate other
left over items , and automatically add them to the process.
It has 2 grippers on its front as well, which it uses to wipe down any
worktops near its reach.
Its very economical on water, and doesnt use much wash up liquid. It
rinses the glasses as well.
All it needs to get it going is a couple of glasses of wine poured into
the right opening in the front.
For instance it has been known to respond to thecommand of wash the
car!! it indicates on its lcd screen it needs 4 glasses of wine and a
roast chicken to undertake that large washing up job.
Keep looking, they are about!!
The only down side to these machines is they want 2 weeks holiday away
from work every year.
dont know whats got into them.

Old November 6th 10, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:32:15 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:
Suzie wrote:
Hi everyone

I inherited a beautiful diamond ring from my mother last year who
passed away from various things. However the one thing that really
worries me is the MRSA staph infection she had at time of her
passing. She wore the ring right up to the time of her death.

Can anyone tell me how to keep this beautiful ring as gorgeous as it
is but yet give it a good sterilizing so I can feel good about
touching it?

I've wondered about just using boiling water and dish detergent?
Boiling water kills anything, right?

Thanks so much!

Suzie

The 2 previous replies ae useful, however thers a lot you can do yourself.
Certainly boiling water is a first step forward, use a spoon to pick
it up to put into the water. Put a little salt in it as well before
bringing to the boil as well as the spoon of course!!. . tho Id suggest
the following.
It depends on the setting of the diamonds, the area difficult to clean
is under the stone, so a tooth brush and tooth paste is a good way to go.
Rinse well of course.
Then theres the baby feeding bottle sterilising tablets. there sodium
hypochlorite and one tablet in a glass of water overnite will sterilise
the ring after you have toothpasted it as above.
Your skin has a natural resistance to bacteria but do wash you hands
well with soap, after handling the ring,.
If i did the 3 steps above, Id be happy to wear the ring.
Ted.
dorset
UK.

Ted,

Once again as I have requested before, please stick with the things you
actually know something about. Toothbrush and toothpaste to clean
jewelry is a big no no! Both the brush as well as toothpaste are
abrasive and will remove any polish on jewelry.

Sodium Hypochlorite?!? Are you out of your f***ing mind? That's
bleach! Dude, you are crazy, and ignorant! Please do not post about
things you so obviously know nothing about!

Suzie,

I'm a gem cutter, and what I use to clean jewelry is Super Glue
Solvent. But if the ring has been worn for a long time, then it's best
to just have the stone removed from the setting and cleaned using the
SG Solvent and a paper towel. I cleaned one diamond ring for a woman
by doing exactly that. When she first gave me the ring to clean, she
didn't want the diamond any longer before it looked really bad. After
it was cleaned though, she changed her mind rather quickly.

Dan Starr
Old November 6th 10, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 02:01:13 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
wrote:

Suzie,

I'm a gem cutter, and what I use to clean jewelry is Super Glue
Solvent. But if the ring has been worn for a long time, then it's best
to just have the stone removed from the setting and cleaned using the
SG Solvent and a paper towel. I cleaned one diamond ring for a woman
by doing exactly that. When she first gave me the ring to clean, she
didn't want the diamond any longer before it looked really bad. After
it was cleaned though, she changed her mind rather quickly.

Dan Starr

Super glue solvent is essentially acetone. That's a great grease cutter if that
is the sort of thing one needs to clean. But not as effective on things like
the gunked up mix of dead skin, oils, soaps, lotions, and whatever else gets
packed under the stones in a ring.

Also, be aware that acetone, as with many organic solvents, presents
carcinogenic risks. Use only with good ventillation.

Remove the stone from the ring to clean it? Are you nuts? Totally unnecessary.
In 36 years as a commercial goldsmith and jeweler, I cannot recall ever having
to remove a stone just for cleaning purposes unless it was in a totally sealed
bezel which had allowed something underneath. And I can remember only two of
those, both antique rose cuts where the visible metal behind them needed
polishing as well as cleaning.. Normally though, too much work,and can damage
the mounting causing more headache when it's time to reset the stone. Almost
any jeweler who's capable of competently removing and resetting a stone likely
also has access to an ultrasonic cleaner and/or steam cleaner, which make
extreme measures even less needed. But even without those, it's simply not
required. Acetone is great for precleaning a stone or metal to get it clean
enough for really good glue joints, or for removing light grease, oils, nail
polish, etc. But normally, it simply isn't the best way to clean a ring or a
stone if it's got more than a bit of skin oils on it. It does have one other
very good use that one sometimes encounters. Some ladies use products like hair
spray, which amount to a lacquer like product. If that gets on the back of a
stone or into a ring, it's hard to remove via normal cleaning methods. For
that, or to clean up old super glue or nail polish or some paints, Acetone is a
very good choice. But for normal diamond jewelry cleaning, Use a good strong
detergent (something like Mr. Clean or Top Job liquid cleaners) with a bit of
ammonia, in hot or boiling water, as discussed in other posts in this thread,
and you can get virtually anything clean that any ring will pick up in use. You
really don't need to remove the stones to do it.

Peter Rowe