Where to buy Prince Rupert's Drop

Old August 30th 03, 09:44 PM
Keith Patrick

Default Where to buy Prince Rupert's Drop

Does anyone know where to buy a Prince Rupert's Drop online? I looked for
one years ago as a gift to no avail, and was reminded of my search recently.

Old August 31st 03, 02:59 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Keith Patrick wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy a Prince Rupert's Drop online? I looked for
one years ago as a gift to no avail, and was reminded of my search recently.

I'd like to see just how often one forms, so I might try making some.
If I get more than one, what kind of price are you offering? It sounds
like small is more likely to work than large....

Regards,

Mike
Old August 31st 03, 09:43 AM
Keith Patrick

That's the thing...I can't find this thing anywhere on the net, so I have
absolutely no idea how much they generally cost.

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith Patrick

Old August 31st 03, 06:14 PM
Mike Firth

Once one gets the trick of making them, they are fairly easy to make.
One needs to build up a hot blob of glass that will drop free of the pipe
or rod of glass and as it
starts to fall into a container of water, pull/jerk the hand up to pull the
tail clear of the falling blob so there
is no long thin thread.
Small ones - 1/8-1/4" - are easier in the torch, larger - up to 1"- easier
from a pipe. If you don't do it right, you end up with spinnerettes of
glass in the water, so you are picking the drops out of threads of glass
after letting them cool down (especially the larger) in the water. Small
ones should be broken wrapped in cloth, large ones double wrapped and
tightly held - otherwise tiny fragments of glass are flying all over instead
of making a small forceful whomp. When demostrating how strong the head is
(hitting it with a hammer) hold the tail carefully and have some eye
protection.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
"Keith Patrick" wrote in message
. ..
That's the thing...I can't find this thing anywhere on the net, so I have
absolutely no idea how much they generally cost.

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith Patrick

Old August 31st 03, 07:23 PM
C Ryman

What is a Prince Rupert's Drop and what are they for?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio
"Mike Firth" wrote in message
[...]

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith Patrick

Old August 31st 03, 07:48 PM
Keith Patrick

They look like a tadpole of glass. Basically, the rapid cooling puts a
tremendous amount of pressure on the inside of the glass due to the surface
cooling (and shrinking) more quickly than the interior. As a result of the
stress, the bead is extremely strong and can withstand hard strikes with a
hammer. However, if the tail is broken, the pressure is relieved, causing
the drop to explode into a powder.

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
[...]

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith

Patrick

Old August 31st 03, 08:45 PM
Michele Blank

is this the same thing a s a Russian tear drop? sounds similar in shape but
i never tried hitting one with a hammer! If so , i have a few i can part
with. michele

news

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
[...]

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith

Patrick

Old August 31st 03, 11:27 PM
Mike Firth

Probably not. The few returns I get on Russian tear drops that are not
references to songs are obviously decorative tear shapes which are carefully
annealed. Like the icicles that have become popular the last few years.
A Prince Rupert's Drop is a scientific curiosity created by violating all
the normal rules of working with glass. Other than hitting it with a hammer
to show strength and destroying it to show failure method, they are useless.

--

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
[...]

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Keith

Patrick

Old September 1st 03, 05:31 AM
Steve J. Noll

Here's a place: http://www.geocities.com/globalmagicshop/Effects.html
They're also called Prince Ruperts tears.
Their creation is described in the old Hammesfahr & Stong "Creative
glass blowing" book.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:44:21 GMT, "Keith Patrick"
wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy a Prince Rupert's Drop online? I looked for
one years ago as a gift to no avail, and was reminded of my search recently.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old September 4th 03, 06:28 AM
Randy

I can make them for you, along with " Baloney tubes" They are similar to PR
droppings, only they are a hollow tube. I would demonstrate them by driving
a spike in a block of would using the Baloney tube as a hammer. I then drop
a micro piece of silicon carbide down the tube to make it explode, and I
mean EXPLODE. You do this while it is inside a Zip lock bag to contain the
shards.

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
San Diego, CA

"Keith Patrick" wrote in message
Does anyone know where to buy a Prince Rupert's Drop online? I looked for
one years ago as a gift to no avail, and was reminded of my search

recently.

Needed desperately...red glass drop beads Jalynne Beads 7 October 15th 04 07:45 PM
AD: Prince of Thieves starlia Beads 8 October 1st 04 09:25 PM
Pendant with Lined Silk in Cocoa Leaf Pattern with Smoked Topaz Drop JL Amerson Beads 16 January 18th 04 04:04 PM
ISO round drop beads Deborah Beads 0 October 25th 03 01:19 AM