Irons, again...

Old April 5th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall

Default Irons, again...

Today I bought a new iron to replace the 1 month-old one that
malfunctioned. My new iron is the Westinghouse Thermocolor - What
fun! When you first plug it in the water tank glows blue, then it
changes to green, purple, then red as it warms up to the hottest
setting. I think I finally found a perfect iron for me. This iron is
not for sissies, it is a big heavy iron and gets even heavier when you
fill up the enormous water tank. And, compared to my other irons this
one gets very hot for 1400 watts. Though there is only 2 steam
settings (high and low) the lower one seems to do just fine. The only
complaint I have so far is the filling hole in the watertank should
have a stopper in it - it will splash out a bit when completely full
and I'm in a hurry LOL Fingers crossed that this one will last a
looooong time!

No afiliation, just a satisfied customer ;o)
Mickie

Old April 5th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

I color code everything - sound like the iron for me! What fun to see the
color changing. Hope it works well for you.

Alice
"Do what you like, like what you do"

:

Old April 6th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Keep us posted, I am always on the lookout for good gear that works!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old April 6th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Mickie,

How quickly does it heat up again after the automatic shutoff? I guess I'm
impatient - the last automatic shut off I had (which I took back because it
didn't begin to get very hot) took awhile to warm up again.

Donna in (SW) Idaho

Old April 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall

It stays on for a full 15 minutes idle in an upright position, 30
seconds lying down, before shutting off. It doesn't take long to heat
up again, maybe 30 seconds. It only takes about a minute or two from
a cold start to heat up to the hottest setting. The colors change
when the temperature drops while ironing, but it seems to still be hot
throughout. I do know that when I unplug it, it takes a looooong
time to cool down. My DH tells me the ceramic soleplate (not metal)
holds the heat longer.

Silly me, I'm going back today to go get another one to keep in stock
in case this ever breaks down. I got it at Linen n' Things, $39.99,
on sale $10 off, less another $8 for the 20% coupon, so with tax it
was only around $25 and that's a bargain. I called the store to find
out this model was discontinued in last January and they have no more
in the warehouse, though they can order me one from another store.
That's even more reason for me to get another - it's one of those laws
that manufacturers discontinue the good stuff! LOL I did find a few
online, the cheapest one is at Fingerhut.---
http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGrou...52&ref=feature

Now, how is it that this iron been around for two years and none of us
has discovered it?

Mickie

Old April 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I looked on Amazon. One of the irons said Westinghouse made by Salton, the
others said made by Westinghouse. Seems like most brands are made by
someone else now. A sewing machine dealer told us the other day that there
are only about 3 sewing machine manufacturers and that they make the
machines for everyone!

I have an older Rowenta Sew 'n' Press (not one of the heavy, heavy ones)
that works fine until the water level gets really low and then it starts
spitting all over the place. I've had it long enough that it is probably
going to die one of these days. The water tank in it is pretty small and
has to be refilled much too often.

I bought an Oliso (along with two friends - we took all three irons back).
The Olisos don't get hot enough and they don't put out nearly enough steam.
Oliso replaced mine - the replacement wasn't any better than the original
one. Most recent was the one I bought at Penneys that didn't get hot at
all. So, I'm back using the old Rowenta, but keep looking for something
else.

Donna in (SW) Idaho

Old April 6th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall

Default Irons, again... & scissors

Donna, I recommend this iron highly. Take that from a very picky
consumer!

I've had the $1 scissors for a couple years now and with almost daily
use are still going strong. I use them to cut paper, freezer paper,
plastic templates, cardboard, and they still cut fabric like they did
when they were new. I bought these for $1 from the Dollar Tree and
liked them so well that I went back and bought a bag full of them,
thinking they only cost a dollar, how long can they last? I'm still
using the original ones.

Mickie

Old April 6th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall

I hope you like it as much as I do! Be sure and report back to us
when you get it, okay? Meanwhile I'm going to figure out how to make
a suitable stopper for the water filling hole. LOL ....Either that or
I'll have to slow my ironing motions down a bit....

Mickie

Old April 6th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Just ordered one from ebay. $30 including shipping and insurance. Since
that iron has been discontinued some of the stores listed don't hve it
anymore.

Donna in (SW) Idaho

Cordless Irons Betty in Wi Quilting 11 September 2nd 06 03:19 PM
Dead irons Darlene Quilting 4 June 15th 06 02:08 PM
On the subject of irons Debra Quilting 25 September 25th 05 05:40 PM
irons joysjane Quilting 17 October 26th 04 02:57 AM