Books about Stitches - longish list

Old August 3rd 03, 01:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Books about Stitches - longish list

Ooooh, there's a few on this list I would like to add . . . but only a
few. You're a counted stitcher, and your list exemplifies it. huge grin

I would second your nominations for Carolyn Ambuter's "The Open Canvas",
McNeils "Pulled Thread"; Montano's ribbon embroidery; Coats & Clark's
100 Stitches;

On a desert island - with choice of only one - I'd choose Dillmont. If
I could sneak one more in, I'd choose Thomas's 1934 edition.

My list includes:

Fernau's Schwalm;
several of the Lacis reprints of needlelace, net lace, Mountmellick,
drawn thread
Almquist "Mountmellick"
Metrofanis "Casalguidi"
Agnes Bryston's "Ayrsire Embroidery"
Sheila Paine's "Chikan Embroidery"
Royal School of Needlework's new compedium on embroidery techniques
Chung's "Painting with a Needle"
Margaret Pierce's 4 books on hand sewing and embroidery/cutwork.
Hollis & Bell's wonderful book on 19th century American hand sewing -
this is one highly researched book.
Dillmont's "Encyclopedia" - the definitive reference in my opinion,
because once you have some skills, you can really use this book. It's
not beginner stuff.
"A to Z of Embroidery" - Country Bumpkins's exquisite dictionary that
takes you in a lot of directions - perfect for "beginners".
The Lace Guild's new booklet for creating needlelace - "punto aria" style.

Dianne

Linn Skinner wrote:
Our recent chat about stitches got me to putting my stitch books in order
and making sure they were all listed in my database and making a
bibliography list of them. These are not a definitive list of stitch books
by any means and I only included those books that were in the 90% of stitch
instructions. Many general embroidery books have a lot of good information
about stitches as well.

I have to say - if I was on a desert island and could only have 1 stitch
book it would be hard to choose amongst several I use frequently including
Mary Thomas and Jan Eaton's fine revision; Eileen Bennett's books but I
probably would have to plump - push come to shove for Constance Howard.

How about everyone else? Favorites and why?

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com

BIBLIOGRAPHY, STITCHES

Ambuter, Carolyn, Carolyn Ambuter's Complete Book of Needlepoint, Thomas Y.
Crowell Co., 1972
Ambuter, Carolyn, The Open Canvas, Workman Publishing, 1982
Bennett, Eileen, A Note Book of Pulled Thread Stitches, The Sampler House,
1999
Bennett, Eileen, A Note Book of Sampler Stitches, The Sampler House, 1993
Bennett, Eileen, A Note Book of Sampler Stitches Book Two, The Sampler
House, 1999
Bradshaw, Rebecca, Needlecraft Magazine Book of Embroidery Stitches, Future
Pub. 1994
Campbell, Marion W., Embroidery Stitches Book No. 2, Needlework Development
Scheme
Carroll, Amy (Ed.), The Pattern Library, Embroidery, Ballantine Books, 1981
Christie, Grace Samplers and Stitches, (3d Ed) B. T. Batsford, 1934
Coats and Clark Inc., 100 Embroidery Stitches, Coats & Clark, Inc. 1964
Coats Patons Crafts, 32 Embroidery Stitches for Counted Thread Embroidery 2,
J.P. Coats Ltd., 1993
Coats Patons Crafts, 32 Embroidery Stitches 1, J.P. Coats Ltd., 1993
Coats Sewing Group, 100 Embroidery Stitches, J.P. Coats (U.K.) Ltd., 1967
Dreesmann, Cecile, Embroidery, MacMillan Company, 1971
Earnshaw, Pat, Needlelace, Merehurst, 1992
Eaton, Jan, The Complete Stitch Encyclopedia, Barron's, 1993
Eaton, Jan, Mary Thomas's Diceionary of Embroidery Stitches (New Edition),
Hodder & Stoughton, 1993
Enthoven, Jacqueline, The Stitches of Creative Embroidery, Van Nostrand
Reinhold Co., 1964
Fry, Gladys Windsor, Embroidery and Needlework (4th Ed), Sir Isaac Pitman &
Sons, 1950
Fry, Mary, Pulled Thread Workbook, American Crewel & Canvas Studio, 1978
Goldberg, Rhoda Ochser, The New Dictionary of Needlepoint & Canvas Stitches,
Crown Pub., 1994
Harlow, Eve, The New Anchor Book of Counted Thread Embroidery Stitches,
David & Charles, 1987
Harlow, Eve, The New Anchor Book of Crewel Stitches and Patterns, David &
Charles, 1989
Harlow, Eve, The Anchor Book of Canvas Embroidery Stitches, David & Charles,
1997
Harlow, Eve, The Anchor Book of Free-Style Embroidery Stitches, David &
Charles, 1997
Howard, Constance, The Constance Howard Book of Stitches, Batsford, 1991
McNeill, Moyra, Pulled Thread Embroidery, Dover Publications, 1993
Montano, Judith Baker, Elegant Stitches, C&T Publishing, 1995
Nordfors, Jill, Needle Lace & Needleweaving, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1974
O'Steen, Darlene, The Proper Stitch, Symbol of Excellence, 1994
Paternayan, Stitch Techniques Booklet, JCA Inc., 1992
Pesel, Louisa, Stitches From Old English Embroideries, Percy Lund Humphries
Petersen, Grete, Stitches and Decorative Seams, Von Nostrand Reinhold Co.,
1983
Snook, Barbara, Embroidery Stitches, St. Martin's Press, 1985
Stockett, Mary Bartley (Ed.), Decorative Stitches, Graphworks International
1993
Thomas, Mary, Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches, Hodder & Stoughton, 1934

Old August 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
Boohoo1971

Linn, what a fantastic list of books!!!!! Thank you. I intend to go on a
search for several of them. I do not have a favorite book because I have yet
to find a book that includes a lot of stitches and uniformly good instructions
for each stitch. Thank you again, and in case someone here missed the list, I
am including it here. Boo

Old August 3rd 03, 06:25 PM
Linn Skinner

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Ooooh, there's a few on this list I would like to add . . . but only a
few. You're a counted stitcher, and your list exemplifies it. huge grin

Well actually I'm more of a surface or free embroidery stitcher but there
are very few books dedicated to surface embroidery stitches (as opposed to
technique books which present the stitches for that particular surface
technique and projects using them).

On a desert island - with choice of only one - I'd choose Dillmont.

Excellent choice. If taking a compendium to an island I might also put
forth Erica Wilson's "Embroidery Book" as an option or a little known
choice "Needlework School" ISBN 0 89009 785 2

Fernau's Schwalm;
several of the Lacis reprints of needlelace, net lace, Mountmellick,
drawn thread
Almquist "Mountmellick"
Metrofanis "Casalguidi"
Agnes Bryston's "Ayrsire Embroidery"

Great technique choices

Sheila Paine's "Chikan Embroidery"

May I suggest you read in tandem with this book Clare M. Wilkinson-Weber's
"Embroidering Lives, Women's Work and Skill in the Lucknow Embroidery
Industry" ISBN 0 7914 4088 5

Margaret Pierce's 4 books on hand sewing and embroidery/cutwork.

Hollis & Bell's wonderful book on 19th century American hand sewing -
this is one highly researched book.

Some for my list.
"A to Z of Embroidery" - Country Bumpkins's exquisite dictionary that
takes you in a lot of directions - perfect for "beginners".

I keep saying "I need to buy thisG"

I missed two more books that turned up after I posted the list:

Another Coats publication - this time from South Africa published by Delos
"50 Counted Thread Embroidery Stitches" 1990

And - how could I miss:

Lantz, Sherlee and Lane, Maggie "A Pageant of Pattern for Needlepoint
Canvas" , Atheneum 1973

Thanks for some new titles for my 'wish list"

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com

Old August 3rd 03, 07:40 PM
Marie C

Here's a couple of books that I like:

Embroideries and Patterns from 19th Century Vienna- Raffealla Serena
Glorious Color for Needlepoint and Knitting -Kaffe Fassett
Glorious Needlepoint - Kaffe Fassett
The Glorifilia Needlepoint Collection - Berman and Lazarus
Needlework Masterpieces from Winterthur - Hollis Greer Minor
The Art of William Morris in Cross Stitch - Beth Russell
William Morris Needlepoint - Beth Russell
The Ehrman Needlepoint Book - Hugh Ehrman
Romantic Needlepoint - Candace Bahout
Flowers, Birds and Unicorns - Cnadace Bahouth
Decorative Needlpoint - Julia Hickman
Needlework Animals - Elzabeth Bradley
The Emroiderers Story - Thomasina Beck
The Embroiderers Garden - Thomasina Beck
Readers Digest Complete Book of Embroidery
English Countrside Embroidery - Stafford Whittaker
BH&G 101 Best Loved Designs

and of course:
An Elizabethan Alphabet
A Elizabethan Christmas
Elizabethan Nedlwork Accessories
Festive Elizabethan Creations
Exploring Elizabethan Embroidery

Marie C.

Old August 3rd 03, 07:50 PM
Linn Skinner

All great books and most of them in my "General Collection" Do you have any
books dedicated to just stitches? I'm always looking for moreG

Linn

Old August 3rd 03, 08:34 PM
Susie Jordan

Linn,
I have just ordered Darlene O'Steen's book "The Proper Stitch." I
paid an arm and a leg for it. PLEASE tell me if it is going to be
worth it.

BTW, I do have some of the books you list and love them, and I plan on
keeping your list as a reference.

Susie Jordan

Old August 3rd 03, 08:52 PM
Linn Skinner

Susie:

Re Proper Stitch - I find it very helpful in some ways. I have an extra
copy of it I'm going to put on the market one of these days now that it has
increased in value. I might opt for the CD if I hadn't bought them at $30+
several years ago. It all depends on if you want it to hold in the hand. I
have paid the price Proper Stitch is going for for older out of print books
and have never regretted the purchases. The book that stays by my computer
is Arthur Lotz' "Modelbucher" and I turn to it almost daily. Well worth the
$200 or so I paid for it. One of the books I crave is Mrs. Christie's
Medieval Embroidery (seldom on the market at going at $2,000 or so a copy)

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com

om...

Old August 4th 03, 03:31 AM
Linn Skinner

That's one of my favorite canvaswork books although it doesn't fit into my
category of "stitches books" I usually pop it on my history list.

Linn
"FKBABB" wrote in message
Do you have any
books dedicated to just stitches? I'm always looking for more

The canvas stitch book I keep going back to is "Needlepoint" by Hope

Hanley
(1964). No designs/charts here, and only about 75% of the pages devoted

charts, the rest info on techniques, a lot of which is outdated these

days, and
historical examples of the technique, still relevant.
The stitch instructions are still state of the art, and I particularly

like the
fact that she also gives yarn yardage requirements for each stitch/stitch
method.

Annie

Old August 4th 03, 03:35 AM
Linn Skinner

The Proper Stitch has the BEST instructions on how to turn corners using
long-arm cross stitch IMHO. I do have some reprint vintage books scheduled
to come out on CD but only because they simply are too expensive to
reproduce on paper.

Come back and tell us the very best things you enjoy about this classic
book.

Linn Skinner

BTW: I have more than a passing interest in Cherokee culture as my Great
Grandfather was appointed to a federal position overseeing division of some
of the Oklahoma tribal lands and deeding them to individual tribe members in
the early 20th Century.

"Susie Jordan" wrote in message
om...
Thank you Linn,
You make me feel much better about my purchase. I prefer "book in
hand" to CD's or ebooks, etc. It's been suggested that I put my books
on CD (about Cherokee Indians - not needlecraft)but I just can't bring
myself to do that.

I am so looking forward to receiving "Proper Stitch"

Susie

Old August 4th 03, 08:04 AM
Susie Jordan

Oh, how I would love to have been a child at his feet as he told
stories. I'm sure he had some really great ones to tell. We should
talk some time.

I will let everyone know about the best things of the book when I
receive it. It may take 3 weeks before I get it. I will be sitting
on pins and needles.

Susie