Academic research

Old June 27th 08, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Academic research

On Jun 27, 6:52*am, Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
I was not interested in volunteering "...10-15
min.." of my valuable time to a first-time poster
asking
for 'our' help with its commercial(?) project. *YMMV
Well, I was curious enough to see what the focus of
the survey was.
Different strokes for different folks.. ;-)

I always run a search on an unknown-to-me poster's nym
to see if they have contributed *anything* previously
*to*
the group. *If they haven't I ignore them.

Beverly

Then how did you happen to see that other post with a
link was to an eBay page? *:-)

I "see" them, I just (usually) don't respond *to* them. *In
the case of the eBay shill, I was just a tiny bit intrigued
by the subject line, and wanted to see what it was about.
However, it just proved the veracity of my usual rule. *;-}

Beverly

Ooookay.......

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.comhttp://members.tripod..com/~bernardschopen/

I'll try to reply all the things he

@Samanth Hill,
There are of course some MTM pattern software out-there including the
newly released Bernina's MyLabel. However, these software are
negligible if you consider the 'usual' companies.

@BEI Design,
Not commercial. The survey is anonymous and no publicity/ spamming/
soliciting is done there.

@Pogonip,
Link to e-bay?! I've linked to my online portfolio and to a post in
Fashion-Incubator. Those links are there so people who don't know me -
as most of the world probably doesn't – that my interest in this
subject is there for several years now.

You can find me posting mostly in Fashion-Incubator and PatternReview.
I agree it wasn't very groups-friendly of me to write the first post
and 'run' but since I plan to publish the survey findings, I thought
it would be interesting enough for the community.
Old June 27th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

wrote:
snip
I'll try to reply all the things he

@Samanth Hill,
There are of course some MTM pattern software out-there
including the
newly released Bernina's MyLabel. However, these software
are
negligible if you consider the 'usual' companies.

Ever heard of Pattern Master Boutique?
http://www.wildginger.com/products/patternmaster.htm

@BEI Design,
Not commercial. The survey is anonymous and no publicity/
spamming/
soliciting is done there.

Riiight, and you'll be giving away the results of your
research?

@Pogonip,
Link to e-bay?!

Another thread on another group. Joanne and I know what she
was referring to.

I've linked to my online portfolio and to
a post in
Fashion-Incubator. Those links are there so people who
don't know me -
as most of the world probably doesn't – that my
interest in this
subject is there for several years now.

You can find me posting mostly in Fashion-Incubator and
PatternReview.
I agree it wasn't very groups-friendly of me to write the
first post
and 'run' but since I plan to publish the survey
findings, I thought
it would be interesting enough for the community.

Will the published results be given away free? No? Then,
it *is* a "commercial" endeavor.

Beverly

Old June 27th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply[_2_]

wrote:

@Samanth Hill,
There are of course some MTM pattern software out-there including the
newly released Bernina's MyLabel. However, these software are
negligible if you consider the 'usual' companies.

I am glad to see you came back! Hang around for a while and get to know us!

Your survey still failed to include the possiblity of people already
using pattern-drafting software, whether it's software that lets you
design your own patterns or software that has one or more specific
patterns that you can print in your own size. It would really be to
your benefit to factor that into your survey or else to exclude those
people who primarily use pattern-drafting software of some sort,
otherwise your results will be based on false premises.

If you have done your homework and know for sure that usage of
pattern-drafting software is negligible, then in order to obtain truly
useful information, you need to exclude those people. If you haven't,
then you ought to provide an option for them to indicate that they
already use what you are trying to research.

There are a large number of people on this list who use pattern-drafting
software and/or more independent designers and very few Big 3 pattern
companies. For such as person, answering your survey is a confusing
process with all the questions that don't really apply and will make
your survey results somewhat inaccurate because of the necessity of
using "best guess" method to choose the "least incorrect" answer instead
of choosing the "most correct" answer.
Old June 27th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

On Jun 27, 4:57 pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

[...]

Beverly,
Yes, I am going to publish - free of charge - the results. I'm a true
believer in the open-source concept. My plan is to close the poll on 1-
SEP. but if you still find it hard to believe, I'd be happy to share
the current results with you - that simple

Samantha,
I must agree with you. Thanks for explaining your point - I've added
this option in the survey (the longer version). I think my mistake is
that I assumed people coming to the survey will not be aware enough to
the MTM options. In a way this mistake is coming from the fact that I
used to work in OptiTex for many years, and even pattern makers were
not aware pf the MTM concept. The whole idea of the work is coming
from this experience - from the question are people really ready to
except the technologies?

Thanks for the invitation to stay - I think I'll accept it
Old June 27th 08, 04:47 PM
kathleen fasanella kathleen fasanella is offline
Junior Member

Location: Las Cruces NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEI Design View Post
Will the published results be given away free? No? Then, it *is* a "commercial" endeavor.
Amitai, I'm wondering if your confusion is related to cultural or language differences but this is considered to be market research. Iow, no, you're not charging a fee but you intend to use the results of discovery for profit minded purposes. Sure, your project may benefit people who may choose to take advantage of it but this is a place people come to enjoy their hobbies and past times so it is considered to be very inappropriate. People are fatigued with marketing so in an enthusiast environment, people will resent it. It's nothing personal.

As Beverly mentioned, there are other options for custom drafted patterns. There is also a service similar to one you hope to start (after collecting your market data). I reviewed one service called String Codes http://pattern.stringcodes.com/index.html . I wasn't very pleased with it. I include the link to the third part of my review which contains links to the first two parts.
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/...codes_pt3.html

Lastly Amitai, I agree that some of the questions need to be reworked. Other than the self-selecting bias someone else mentioned, some questions force choices that would return a result contrary to the respondent's intent. I don't know the best place to post about your survey, I only know it's not here. Probably the Marketplace section is better.
Old June 27th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Amitaibu

On Jun 27, 6:44*pm, (Sew Boyz) wrote:
Sew Boyz had written this in response tohttp://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-Academic-research-3757-.htm*:

wrote:
Samantha,
I must agree with you. Thanks for explaining your point - I've added
this option in the survey (the longer version). I think my mistake is
that I assumed people coming to the survey will not be aware enough to
the MTM options. In a way this mistake is coming from the fact that I
used to work in OptiTex for many years, and even pattern makers were
not aware pf the MTM concept. The whole idea of the work is coming
from this experience - from the question are people really ready to
except the technologies?

How trustworthy is your "academic research" going to be if you don't know
the difference between "accept" and "except"?

sb

Delivered via *http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3534 messages and counting!

Well, English isn't my first language - Hebrew is. Don't you agree
there is a difference between writing a post and writing a work?
Old June 27th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sew Boyz

sew boyz had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-...arch-3759-.htm :

Amitaibu wrote:

On Jun 27, 6:44=A0pm, (Sew Boyz) wrote:

How trustworthy is your "academic research" going to be
if you don't know
the difference between "accept" and "except"?

sb

Well, English isn't my first language - Hebrew is. Don't you agree
there is a difference between writing a post and writing a work?

My apologies, I didn't realize you were not an English speaker. Had you
posted from your own ISP ) instead of google-groups-gmail it
might have alerted me to your location.

sb

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3536 messages and counting!
Old June 27th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Amitaibu

On Jun 27, 8:09*pm, (sew boyz) wrote:
sew boyz had written this in response tohttp://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-Academic-research-3759-.htm*:

Amitaibu wrote:
On Jun 27, 6:44=A0pm, (Sew Boyz) wrote:

How trustworthy is your "academic research" going to be
if you don't know
the difference between "accept" and "except"?

sb

Well, English isn't my first language - Hebrew is. Don't you agree
there is a difference between writing a post and writing a work?

My apologies, I didn't realize you were not an English speaker. *Had you
posted from your own ISP ) instead of google-groups-gmail it
might have alerted me to your location.

sb

Delivered via *http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3536 messages and counting!

SB,
No problem
Old June 27th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

sew boyz wrote:
My apologies, I didn't realize you were not an English speaker. Had you
posted from your own ISP ) instead of google-groups-gmail it
might have alerted me to your location.

sb

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3536 messages and counting!

Excuse me, but SB, you are posting through a web-based access yourself!
What's the difference between Google.com and sewgirls.com other than
that Google offers a lot more?