Smart idea for ashtrays

Old March 15th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Smart idea for ashtrays

A friend has these things in metal, but I will be making some for me in
clay.

They are simply a little tube that sits inside the ashtray. The hole is just
slightly larger diameter than a cigarette is. Instead of smushing the
cigarette to put it out, you just plonk it ember end first into the tube.
The cigarette goes out almost instantly and is put out so well, you need not
wait long until you can empty the ashtray. Also, since you aren't smooshing
the cigarette into the bottom of the ashtray, you don't get those lumps of
ash that don't rinse away by themselves, so cleaning the ashtray is much
simpler.

The only requisite is that you have a tube-shaped hole in the middle. Other
than that, you can make them any shape and width, though the height should
be about the height of the filter on the cigarette.

Just an idea I thought some of you might like to play with. I know I will
be! :-)

Have a great day, everyone!

Marianne

Old March 15th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Bubbles wrote:
A friend has these things in metal, but I will be making some for me in
clay.

They are simply a little tube that sits inside the ashtray. The hole is just
slightly larger diameter than a cigarette is. Instead of smushing the
cigarette to put it out, you just plonk it ember end first into the tube.
The cigarette goes out almost instantly and is put out so well, you need not
wait long until you can empty the ashtray. Also, since you aren't smooshing
the cigarette into the bottom of the ashtray, you don't get those lumps of
ash that don't rinse away by themselves, so cleaning the ashtray is much
simpler.

another smart idea for an ashtray, especially now, that summer will come
(hopefully! we still have snow on the ground!)and people will sit
outside, is something in the shape of a flowerpot, with a whole in the
bottom, reversed on a plate with a rather high side, almost like a low
bowl. Is ideal for a garden ashtray, you dampen out the cigarette on the
bottom of the flowerpot and throw it into the hole. No wind will blow
the ashes around. I sold many of them, people were intrigued by the idea.

Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/MSKeramik
if you wish to write me a mail, remove the number from my user name
Old March 15th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Bubbles" wrote in message
[...]

I'm astounded - Smoking in public place about a year ago even in bars became
illegal, but even before that smoking in NZ definately was socially
unacceptable. I wouldn't dream of making an ashtray - yeah I'm a reformed
smoker ) It just surprised me that it is still obviously acceptable in
other countries. Most smokers I know now are a bit ashamed.

Old March 16th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Annemarie" wrote in message
news
I'm astounded - Smoking in public place about a year ago even in bars
became
illegal, but even before that smoking in NZ definately was socially
unacceptable. I wouldn't dream of making an ashtray - yeah I'm a reformed
smoker ) It just surprised me that it is still obviously acceptable in
other countries. Most smokers I know now are a bit ashamed.

Thank God, there are still some places where people who became addicted 30
years before "the non-smoking-fad" kicked in are still able to enjoy good
food and good company without being glared at. They do exist, but are few
and far between.

I am a smoker, and I won't become a non-smoker until I am a match-weight.
Some people have been smoking for 50 years or more. To exclude them from any
indoor activities and make them feel like outcasts because they fell for the
tobacco propaganda way back is NOT what I call kind treatment. If countries
make cigarettes perscription wares and make CERTAIN that each year means a
year OLDER for the total smoking population - ie. make CERTAIN youths don't
start smoking - then's the place where I might just cheer for a bandwagon.

Ok - that's my 20 bits worth. This "discussion" is WAY O.T.

Suffice to say - there is still a need for ashtrays and the gadget I
mentioned can be a fun and useful addition to those that are made by people
on this group.

Marianne

Old March 16th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Bubbles" wrote in message

"Annemarie" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lol I didn't mean to start something, I was genuinely surprised. Smokers
are welcome anywhere here, just not their smoke. When the law was passed
many of the pubs etc screamed and said they would go bust, but it has not
happened, if anything bars are busier than before because people are not put
off by the smokey atmosphere. The idea of presciption smokes for those
addicted is not bad, then you get no youngsters starting.
I apologise and I will not carry this on further, I reacted, I watched my
sister dieing of a smoking related cancer smoke imaginary cigs on her death
bed - yeah I reacted - sorry.

Old March 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Ashtrays and smart are two words which do not go together!!

I'm going to add to this and I will probably offend most smokers. Firstly,
I am not personally attacking anyone or pointing the finger; I am just
making a comment regarding the subject - so I dont want any messages back of
personalised slagging - please!

This is a subject very close to my heart....I am ashamed to say I tried it
at school - but got wise!!

Luckily my kids won't even try a cigarette as they have seen the effects
that smoking can have - my dad was a 40-a-day man. He's 62 and cant walk,
he had a heart attack when he was in his early 50's and has pipes and tubes
sticking out of most orifices. Nice....not!! What sort of life does he
have now? I've got to visit him in hospital in an hour...

My step dad died of throat cancer about 10 years ago, and it took him over 3
weeks of complete zombied pain before he died. I wouldn't wish that on
anyone.

How anyone can condone smoking is beyond me - and you certainly wont find me
making anything which could be used as an ashtray.

Regards banning smoking in public - personally I say "Hooray it's about
time!"

I once heard a 'joke' (if u can call it that) about smoking in public - I
can't remember exactly how it goes but "Your pleasure is smoking - the
residue of smoking putrifys the air, makes my clothes stink and gets into my
lungs" punchline "Well my pleasure is drinking - and the residue of that is
urine - is it ok for me to urinate all over you?".

Smoking is a totally selfish act that affects the people around you - your
family, friends and public. When the effects of smoking hit (healthwise)
its your family and friends who have to cope with it - why do you care? -
you're long gone by that time!

The only smoke I like to see comes from the exciting moment of seeing your
pots in a sawdust bin after a raku fire.

Sorry folks - I hope you sympathise and see my view - lets stick to the
ceramic type of pot....and dont waste life.

Old March 18th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article , JM
writes
Ashtrays and smart are two words which do not go together!!

I am 69.
I smoked until 14 years ago.
I have Emphysema, luckily not badly, but it's not nice to have!
My Grandson's other Grandpa has it much worse than me; he sounds like a
grumbling Volcano most of the time and has real problems breathing.

Go to:
http//www.lung.ca/copd/anatomy/emphysema.html
And please Read it.

Steve

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old March 18th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

I was biting my tongue and going to let this pass but this was the straw
that broke the camel's back.

I too began smoking back when it was advertised on TV, when doctors said
'this is GOOD for you', when it was a sign of being 'grown-up'. I was 12
years old. By the time I was 21, I was smoking 3 packs a day of Camels.
That was when I first tried quitting. It took me 9 years to make it solid
but I finally did. By the time I had my first child it was known how bad it
was for the fetus and for children in general and yet it was still totally
unacceptable to ask people not to smoke where you were because you were
pregnant.

I have absolutely no problem with people using drugs. What I do have a
serious problem with is my being forced to do so. If someone walked by your
table in a restraurant and put one drop of - lets say urine - in your
drinking water, you would be highly offended but you would still have the
choice to not drink that water. That urine would be less dangerous than the
nicotine/tar and the other chemicals added to cigarettes that are all put
into the air which both smokers and nonsmokers must breathe.

Both of my children are asthmatic. Before they banned smoking in
restaurants in NY we could not go out to eat. When they passed this law
restraurant owners cried how it would ruin their business. It didn't. In
fact more people ate out because not only did smokers still go out to eat
but those like our family could now eat out as well.

By the way, as a potter your risk for lung cancer, other cancers and heart
disease increase dramatically if you smoke. There is an non-additive effect
of smoking and other chemicals that are inhaled as a potter.

"Bubbles" wrote in message

news

Old March 21st 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Yup, yup, yup... but back to the subject of making an ashtray, after
all, we make wares to sell, they can use 'em for whatever floats their
boat. But I have a sentimental liking to ashtrays as they were the
first thing I made. Heck, most all my failures became ashtrays or
cutting boards. Then I'd proudly declare that I meant to do that. This
is the new millenium, unless you've been living under a rock, we all
know the "evils" of smoking, sheesh. Everybody knows somebody who got
bit, like the 6 steps to Kevin Bacon. But that doesn't mean we should
deprive those who indulge a manner in which to neatly dispose of that
little cancerous monster. Make it sound like sex toy manufaturers have
to stick it up their what for in order to be able to justify their
goods. Some people smoke, they've already been kicked to the curb,
thats why I think we should make a pocket ashtray. I like the idea of
placing dry clay remnants in your pocket, dorp that butt in and slap the
side of your pants till it goes out. This makes it enjoyable for all
concerned, the smoker has theirs and we get to watch 'em dance. And its
recyclable too. I call that a win/win situation. Yup, I'm a non smoker
who quit some 25 years ago but I don't go all phobic ballistic about it.
Life's full of risks, I ride a motorcycle with no seat belt or airbags,
okay, well that depends on who's riding on the back. Point is, we make
stuff to sell, really neat stuff, that ashtray sounds really neat. Now
that some many potters are paranoid about making them, I bet there's a
far market for them. Make a bunch of 'em cause from what I'm reading,
smokers are dying off, it'll become an instant collectable.

Old March 21st 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article , Kees
Kroozr writes
[...]

Nicely put KK

--
Steve Mills
Bath

Need Feedback - charity pattern idea Lazygirl Quilting 21 March 17th 05 07:13 PM
crazy idea Johanna Koski Beads 3 March 16th 05 05:04 PM
Christmas gift idea -- Christian men spampot Yarn 1 November 25th 04 03:26 PM
Sooz's Challenge idea.... Challenge angela Beads 10 August 17th 03 07:04 AM
An Idea Jalynne Beads 30 July 31st 03 05:15 AM