Silver sheet?

Old December 23rd 04, 04:22 AM
C. Gates

vj wrote:

]So use a decent mask.

what IS a decent mask? i know it's probably been mentioned somewhere
before, but i seldom have time to search newsgroups.

right now, every mask i try to wear means i end up with foggy glasses
and can't see [in addition to being uncomfortable enough to be
completely distracting!] i seem to need to wear SOMETHING, because i
come home from the shop every night with my nose full of silver dust.
i wear a face shield at the torch/centrifuge, but i'd really like to
find something relatively effective/comfortable to wear at the bench.

Peter was referring to the use of a mask when grinding shell. I spend
hours and hours wet-grinding shell to make wampum, and I use a
respirator that's EPA approved
for hazardous environments. It has an air compressor, a long hose, and a
hood you put over your head. Available through Grainger. But that's
overkill (excuse the pun) for benchwork. The shell grinding is done
under a hood with a strong air flow -- for extra protection. Made that
from a big centrifical fan from an old forced hot air furnace.

Don't know what you use for suction at your buffing station, but this
should be a major part of your system for not breathing dust and lint.
In fact, a good vacuum cleaner setup should get most of the stuff. Then,
you can get away with using a less troublesome mask.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:11 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "C. Gates"
:

]Don't know what you use for suction at your buffing station, but this
]should be a major part of your system for not breathing dust and lint.
]In fact, a good vacuum cleaner setup should get most of the stuff. Then,
]you can get away with using a less troublesome mask.

the grinders have suction systems.
but at my bench, i'm talking about the dust from the hand-held
tools/drills, etc on the Foredom.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
Old December 24th 04, 02:45 AM
C Ryman

I found a dust mask somewhere that I really like. It has a plastic body and
a cotton cloth that filters and covers the plastic where it touches your
face. It fits snugly to my face and my glasses don't fog up. I think the
cloth is washable or replaceable. I can't remember if it is from an army
surplus store or a Harbor Freight store.
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

"

Old December 24th 04, 02:45 AM
C. Gates

vj wrote:

the grinders have suction systems.
but at my bench, i'm talking about the dust from the hand-held
tools/drills, etc on the Foredom.

Oh, okay. Guess that leaves you two options:

1) Send your handkerchiefs to the refiner with the rest of your
sweepings. ;-)

2) Build/buy a small hood for where you do the Foredom work. Could be
as simple as a shop vac from Home Depot (or wherever) and a cardboard
box, or even the end of a large funnel, maybe one of the attachments
that come with the vac. These units have a lot of pull, are inexpensive,
and true, this will take up some valuable bench space, but it may be one
of the most valuable tools there.

Old December 24th 04, 02:46 AM
Neil Marsh

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:11:28 GMT, vj wrote:

the grinders have suction systems.
but at my bench, i'm talking about the dust from the hand-held
tools/drills, etc on the Foredom.

Having used both pressure breathing masks (air crew duty in
the military) and demand masks (the paying job in emergency services),
I'm here to tell ya; fitting 'em can be a pain in the patooshka. Most
are designed for a male with "average" facial dimentions. If the
thing's fogging up your specs it's not making a good seal between the
bridge of your nose and that area under your eyes.

Let your fingers do the walking and call a few industrial
supply places in your area. Tell them that you're having trouble
finding a respirator that fits well, then go get fitted when you find
one that carrys multiple sizes. You may have to spend a few $$ but
it's worth it. Metal dust in the lungs can be grim in later years.

See http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/respiratory...ion/index.html for more
than you really wanted to know.

Cheers!
Neil
Old December 25th 04, 07:04 PM
C Ryman

food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
˝ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
˝ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil.
Add a little water, season, then add the carcass.
Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick.
Remove the carcass and add

Old December 25th 04, 07:21 PM
C. Gates

if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit.
Add some lemon juice and some zest, then de-glaze with stock.
Add a little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) to the sauce.
You are just about there, Pour the sauce over the cutlets,
top with parsley, lemon slices and cracked pepper.
Serve with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
˝ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
then mix each of the other ingredi

Old December 25th 04, 09:07 PM
Neil Marsh

as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil.
Add a little water, season, then add the carcass.
Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick.
Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock,
so that it remains boiling the whole time.
Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender
(2 hours approximately).
Continue seasoning to taste.
Before serving, add butter and pasta,
serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat
(of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp).
Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with
a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue,
as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the
morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a
drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup bean sprouts
5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
5 cloves minced garlic
4-6 ounces bamboo shoots
Sherry
chicken broth
oil for deep frying (1 gallon)
Salt
pepper
soy & teriyaki
minced ginger, etc.
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing:
Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces
then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
Stir-fry the vegetables.
Put the meat back into th

Old December 27th 04, 05:47 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "C. Gates"
:

]2) Build/buy a small hood for where you do the Foredom work. Could be
]as simple as a shop vac from Home Depot (or wherever) and a cardboard
]box, or even the end of a large funnel, maybe one of the attachments
]that come with the vac. These units have a lot of pull, are inexpensive,
]and true, this will take up some valuable bench space, but it may be one
]of the most valuable tools there.

that's most likely what i NEED.
whether there is going to be room for it is something else again!

http://www.vickijean.com/the_lab.html

Old December 27th 04, 05:47 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Neil Marsh
:

] Let your fingers do the walking and call a few industrial
]supply places in your area. Tell them that you're having trouble
]finding a respirator that fits well, then go get fitted when you find
]one that carrys multiple sizes. You may have to spend a few $$ but
]it's worth it. Metal dust in the lungs can be grim in later years.

i REALLY don't want to go the route of an entire respirator if i can
help it. everything i've ever seen would make me so uncomfortable i'd
never be able to work at all - and i'd have to give up metalsmithing
entirely. that's why i was trying to find a mask i could wear. even
they aren't comfortable, but it would at least keep the 'particle
inhalation' down.