OT Gingerbread

Old November 26th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Gingerbread

OK, I find I have more "standard" gingerbread recipes than I thought.
It depends on what I have to work with. I suppose I never thought about
it, however it seems my household has been paying a LOT more attention to
the matter than I ever imagined! I scrounged up my notebooks to dig out
my proportions and was told which recipe to give out by everybody, and
none of them told me the same one! This is the simplest one:

Gingerbread

1 cup molasses
1 cup sour milk
2 heaped cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 heaping teaspoons ginger
half a teaspoon salt
half a cup melted butter or shortening
1 beaten egg

Mix the molasses with the milk.
Sift the dry stuff together and add to the molasses.
Beat in the egg and butter until it is all creamy.
Pour into a greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350F for about a half hour or
until it is done.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old November 26th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I have everything except the sour milk.
Often my recipe will add in some raisins, or cinnamon

Ginger in CA
gonna make some to take in to work on Monday!

Old November 26th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Do you ever use honey instead of molasses? How does it work out?
Roberta in D

Old November 26th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Honey is not a drop in replacement for molasses.
Honey is a 1:1 replacement for sugar
Molasses is a 2:1 replacement.

Nor does honey react with soda like molasses.

So when you want to use one for the other you have adjust accordingly,
and don't forget to adjust the amount of liquid up or down.

Here you would need half as much honey as molasses or it will be overly
sweet.
I would also go with sweet milk instead of sour, and powder instead of
soda.
I would try 1 1/4 cups of milk and a teaspoon of baking powder to start
off with, and adjust according to how it comes out.
I'd toss in a smidge of cinnamon as well, a half teaspoon to a teaspoon.
Just because it brings out the honey so well. Some people prefer cloves
with honey. You can see that I used both in the honey gingerbread cookie
recipe I posted.

NightMist

Old November 27th 11, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Thanks! It's really hard to find molasses where I live. Maybe not
impossible, who knows? But we have loads of honey. I'm thinking the
very dark forest honey would be interesting in gingerbread.

I hardly ever bother making gingerbread cookies, this is after all the
land of Lebkuchen. But I do like a good gingerbread in a cake version.
Roberta in D

Old November 27th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I hope it will work with black strap molasses, it's the only type I
buy! I know what I'll be making this afternoon. First the regular and
then the apple type! Thanks for posting these recipes ;-)
Bonnie
NJ

Old November 30th 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Lebkuchen! OT Gingerbread

Howdy!

I was just thinking, Roberta, "why do you need gingerbread when you
live in The Land of Lebkuchen?!?!" g

I make good gingerbread, from an old Crisco recipe book (tho' I don't
use Crisco g). Super gingerbread cookies, too.

But I'd rather have Lebkuchen.
http://www.rondofoods.com/EOttoSchmidt.htm

And this is NOT off topic: every quilter needs a favorite snack or 4;
Lebkuchen's on my list!

http://ww2.lebkuchen-schmidt.com/

R/Sandy - smacking lips ;-P

Old November 30th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Dang, I wish I was quilting with you so I could eat some of the good
stuff! Yumm! While quilting with the local gals today I had some
good eats. Golly quilters are good cooks.
While at thanksgiving celebration the ds gal's family was talking
about lefse. Anyone have any tips on making those? They sure
sound good.
Taria

Old November 30th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Well, they are not interchangeable. And the one with apples sounds
just delicious!

DH found a local supermarket selling one of his 2 favorite lebkuchen
brands,(the one we normally have to go to Nuremberg to get) so he went
over and bought all 15 packages they had on the shelf. I haven't seen
any more in there, which makes me feel just slightly guilty.
Roberta in D

Old November 30th 11, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/norwegian-lefse/
When I lived in DK, we used to think of these as edible Handiwipes
(Kidding! sort of! Brought to you by the country that invented
lutefisk!) But they are pretty good if fresh with butter and cinnamon
sugar.
Roberta in D

gingerbread house Millie James Yarn 1 December 24th 07 04:15 PM
Gingerbread men Bernadette Yarn 9 August 2nd 07 08:38 PM
Gingerbread Man Carol V. General Crafting 1 December 31st 05 12:28 AM
OT Gingerbread Technology NightMist Quilting 44 December 20th 03 10:45 PM
OT Gingerbread recipes (long) NightMist Quilting 21 December 17th 03 10:57 AM