[Ganoksin] [March 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old March 8th 04, 02:55 PM
Kandice Seeber

Default [Ganoksin] [March 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Love you guys but please don't forget the AD in the subject line when
posting this in rec.crafts.beads!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Ganoksin is run by a group of people who believe in and love what
they're doing. If you enjoy our efforts, then please feel free to
show your support!

Put an Orchid On Your Bench.... Get the official Orchid Pin

http://www.ganoksin.com/shop

In This Edition:

1. Crocheting in Gold - an examination of applied technique
2. Behind The Design - "Reflecting Pond Necklace"
3. Behind The Design - "Waterfall Necklace"
4. Evolution of a design - Featured Designer, Diana Couture
5. Enamel Preparation
6. Copper Mesh Plique a Jour
7. Platinum Finishing
8. A Low-Cost Press Forming Technique
9. Maximizing Refining Returns for Platinum Alloys
10. Beryl, Red Beryl and Synthetic Red Beryl
11. Green, Yellow-Green, and Brownish-Yellow-Green Beryls
12. Goshenite Beryl
13. Morganite - Pink Beryl
14. The 4C's of Effective Communication
15. BenchExchange

Dr. Sumner Silverman; A master sculpture of wax and gold repousse,
offers ten exquisite orchid pins / pendents, recreated in perfect
detail. Sumner's recent travels to Brazil, offered a real life look
at exotic and rarely seen species. He is on the faculty of Metalwerx
and a regular contributor to the Orchid Forum.

Sumner's exotic orchids are "epiphyts", which exist by clinging to
branches and trunks of host trees. They thrive on the humidity
rising from the jungle floor and on the meager nourishment
obtainable from old leaves and other debris collected in the
branches of the trees.

Wear it proudly, proclaim your support and membership in our global
community of committed jewelers and metal artists.

All the profits for these items goes right to support the Ganoksin
projects ongoing costs and development.

Put an Orchid On Your Bench.... Get the official Orchid Pins and
Pendents....

http://www.ganoksin.com/shop

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

Join us at St. Petersburg Orchid Dinner
Coinciding with the annual SNAG Conference.
Friday, March 19th, 8.30 PM
The Columbia Restaurant
800 2nd Ave. N.E.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 8212-8000

http://www.ganoksin.com/events/snag-dinner-04.htm

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

1. Crocheting in Gold - an examination of applied technique

Crochet involves working interlocking loops of our material into a
seamless chain by means of a needle. Although crochet work in the
textile application generally implies manipulating the material with
a crochet hook, for our crochet project in gold it will be
accomplished utilizing a needle which is made specifically for this
purpose....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ng_in_gold.htm

2. Behind The Design - "Reflecting Pond Necklace"

With the quartz as the central focal point of the 'Reflecting Pond
Necklace,' Sturlin had to design a chain that could support its
weight. He started crocheting 18k red gold wire 75 feet of it to be
exact to create a two-strand chain....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ectingPond.htm

3. Behind The Design - "Waterfall Necklace"

This crocheted necklace is created by weaving interlocking loops of
18k gold wire into a chain, using a needle. Because the chain is
built loop by loop, it is a time consuming process: It can take up
to three hours to crochet one inch.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...l-Necklace.htm

4. Evolution of A Design - Featured Designer, Diana Couture

In a speech recently delivered at the Platinum Day Symposium,
entitled Evolution of a Design, Ms. Evans detailed her affinity for
Platinum, her varied creative inspirations, and the design process
involved in the launch of her exciting new Diana Couture Collection
for Fall 1999....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena..._of_design.htm

5. Enamel Preparation

The traditional method of enamel preparation was described by
Cunynghame and Chapin. Large chunks of enamel were wrapped in a
piece of cloth and broken with a hammer. The cloth was to prevent
the particles from flying about, getting into one's eye or being
lost. When the enamel had been broken into pieces about the size of
a pea, they were washed to remove any lint....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...reparation.htm

6. Copper Mesh Plique a Jour

Interested in illuminating my work and using experimental
techniques, I came across copper mesh. There are many kinds of mesh,
but only a few are easily obtained without buying in bulk from
industrial suppliers. I have been using the 'Impressions' mesh, from
American Art Clay Co., with transparent enamels for making plique a
jour pieces. The mesh can be purchased from a local craft store or
online. There are three varieties available, ranging from dense
cloth like mesh , to 1/8 to 1/4 inches diamond shaped expanded
mesh....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/gom-mesh.htm

7. Platinum Finishing

Opinions differ considerably when discussing the ease or difficulty
of polishing platinum, but most agree that when a piece is well
polished it tends to stay that way. Herein I will be covering the
main points regarding platinum finishing, and I may possibly be able
to offer some obscure shortcuts.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...-finishing.htm

8. A Low-Cost Press Forming Technique

I first saw this technique in a work-shop held at West Dean College,
Cich-ester, Great Britain, presented by Louise O'Neill and Bonnie
Macintosh. I was immediately filled with enthusiasm by this
technology, but the high cost for the press disturbed me. I only
occasionally do such work. When back at home I began to experiment
with less expensive tools and came up with a 'low cost' press
forming technique....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...st-forming.htm

9. Maximizing Refining Returns for Platinum Alloys

Platinum jewelry manufacturing presents some very different concerns
when discussing the collection of materials for refining purposes.
The assumption that methods used for gold and silver collection and
recovery can be used for platinum can lead to real problems and
problems of perception....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...num_alloys.htm

10. Beryl, Red Beryl and Synthetic Red Beryl

The varieties of beryl found worldwide include one of the most prized
and one of the lesser valued of gemstones. The now exhausted mines
south of Koseir in Egypt provided Cleopatra with precious emeralds,
including, reportedly, one engraved with her portrait. Goshen,
Massachusetts is a source of the little known and relatively
inexpensive namesake, the colorless 'white' or 'lucid' beryl called
goshenite. Aquamarine, heliodor, morganite, and the color designated
varieties of beryl, that include yellow, golden, yellow-green, green,
and red beryl (bixbite) compose the other members of this group....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/red-beryl.htm

11. Green, Yellow-Green, and Brownish-Yellow-Green Beryls

Yellow-green beryl has achieved 'desired gem' status with consumers
just within the last few years. Museums were eager to acquire
spectacular specimens, while connoisseurs sought it for their
collections. However, fashion trendsetters ignored it. As in
aquamarine, the iron incorporated into its chemical structure is
responsible for the color.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/green-beryl.htm

12. Goshenite Beryl

Goshenite is the transparent, colorless, alkali-bearing pure beryl
that was discovered in Goshen, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. The
Lily Pond mine in a pegmatite near a small lake was the source of
crystals accompanied by other pale greenish-blue, bluish-green,
yellowish, pink, and white beryl crystals....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...nite_beryl.htm

13. Morganite - Pink Beryl

Richly colored morganite gems are among the more valuable of the
secondary gemstones. The value of morganite has increased with the
expanding knowledge of the gem-buying public. The more informed
consumers become about gemstones, the more it fuels the growing
demand for colored gems. Freeform gems, carvings, and new faceted
designs join the popular and traditional step-cut rectangle with
truncated corners and are appearing in displays more frequently.
Beryl's combination of desirable physical properties and its many
color choices make the variety of morganite a gem suitable for all
types of jewelry.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/morganite.htm

14. The 4C's of Effective Communication

Peter Drucker claims that 60% of all business problems result from
faulty communication. The percentage is even higher in our jewelry
repair shops. The major problems attributed to the shop are the
result of miscommunication - Miscommunication between the customer,
the salesperson, and the bench jeweler....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...munication.htm

15. BenchExchange

More spaces, workplaces, benches, faces and hideaways at The Orchid
BenchExchange program:

93. Michael Berger - Germany
94. Silvina Montaner - Spain
95. Doug Napier - USA
96. Oya Borahan - Turkey
97. Jeff Woodruff - USA
98. Christina Gebhard - USA

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/Bench...r-bench-12.htm

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

Enjoy
Hanuman

-----------------[ G a n o k s i n . C o m ]-------------------

We are here to build a strong pool of information for the benefit of
Web's jewelers and craftsmen - and those interested in jewelry and
gemstones.

-----------------------------[ E n d ]-----------------------

Old March 8th 04, 07:46 PM
roxan

Ganoksin is not an AD, it is a great site for so much information on the
jewelry trade. It is totally free and a wonderful place to met people in the
trade.
Roxan

Old March 9th 04, 02:10 AM
Kandice Seeber

Any time one wants to promote their website, we ask that they put AD in the
subject line. Ganoskin is wonderful, but the newsletter is an advertisement
to visit their web site, and possibly to buy their orchid pins. Some people
like to filter out this kind of thing, so that's why the newsgroup generally
asks for AD in the subject line. It's a courtesy.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 9th 04, 03:34 AM
Christina Peterson

I feel that this is a source of information, and a link to many sites and
eye candy. I don't consider this advertisement either.

Tina

-

Old March 9th 04, 03:47 AM
roxan

I think many people would over look it if they put AD in from and think it
is only an ad. They would indeed miss a great site.

Old March 9th 04, 02:33 PM
LC aka Fiddy

I feel that this is a source of information, and a link to many sites and
eye candy. I don't consider this advertisement either.

I went to the link and saw their products, but must have missed the information
and links...

I'd agree...needs "AD"

The Blessed Fiddy, Patroness Saint of the Disorganized
LC in Sunny So Cal
Personality Development Specialist (Full-Time Mom!)

Old March 9th 04, 02:40 PM
Kandice Seeber

Well, lots of people have great and informative sites they want to promote!
We can't really make exceptions because there are people who read this
newsgroup who want to filter this kind of thing out. Just because a few
don't agree doesn't mean we can change the consensus of the majority here.
The fact is, they are selling things on their site. The newsletter even had
an ad for an orchid pin to buy. I'm sorry, but that makes this an AD. If
Ganoskin was making reference to one article that answered a question here,
that's different. But the fact is that they only post here when they want
to advertise their website. People can decide for themselves whether or not
they wish to filter out the advertisements.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 9th 04, 05:10 PM
Dr. Sooz

But the fact is that they only post here when they want
to advertise their website.

Exactly.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 9th 04, 06:15 PM
Christina Peterson

My memory is not real good, but I thought we had invited them to send their
weekly newsletter here, because it was so often referred to. Like Tidbits.

Tina

Old March 9th 04, 06:54 PM
Tinkster

That's what I thought, too...