Quick way to mass produce jump rings?

Old March 21st 05, 03:22 AM
Karen Chan

Default Quick way to mass produce jump rings?

I'm taking a Chain Mail Bracelet class at my LBS, and the supply list
calls for 20 feet of 18 gauge Sterling Silver round wire. It also gives
the option to bring 240 pre-cut 5mm jump rings instead...

I've made jump rings before, but only a couple at a time using flush
cutters after winding the wire around something. Making 240 would
probably kill me doing it that way! I'm sure she'll teach us how to
mass produce them in the class, but the class is only three hours long
and I don't want to spend the whole (or too much of) time just making
the rings.

I thought about winding the wire around a dowel and using some blade of
my Craftsman rotary tool (I THINK that might work, but I haven't tried
it yet because I don't have the 18 gauge wire in hand yet).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Karen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Karen M. Chan | | Whatever Happens... Smile!
http://www.geocities.com/karenmchan/creations.html
http://www.linkline.com/personal/kmchan/index.html
Old March 21st 05, 04:11 AM
Georgia

I belive you wind the wire around a dowel, and then use a jeweller's saw to
cut them all at once. You should be able to produce at least a hundred in
less than an hour.

Georgia

Old March 21st 05, 07:01 AM
Shirley Shone

We used a metal rod with a v notch in the end to wind the silver round.
Then using a very fine bladed piercing saw we sawn through the silver at
the notch end, just cutting the top ring. Have something underneath to
catch the rings as they drop when cut. A too thick a saw blade leaves a
big gap in the rings for them to join easily.
Shirley

In message , Karen Chan
writes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

--
Shirley Shone
Old March 21st 05, 04:09 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

http://www.chainmailman.com/FAQ.html has some good info.

Koil Kutter info:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archi...1/msg00077.htm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252804

Jump Ringer:
http://conniefox.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Cod e=TJR

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: penguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.
Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old March 24th 05, 08:50 AM
m3rma1d

I'll make you however many/whatever size and charge you materials and
shipping only..

If y'wanna.

.....Or anyone else for that matter.

--Ann-Marie...Who thanks her boyfriend every single DAY (Ok, week.) for the
JumpRinger x-mas present.
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, remove my panties.

Old March 28th 05, 01:27 AM
Karen Chan

Hi Ann-Marie,

Some perverted part of my brain decided that I "had" to do them myself
this time... having done that, I'll be sure to let you know when I need
a busload of rings in the future!

For those who might be interested in what I ended up doing... I wound
the wire around the 5mm dowel, then transferred the coil to a holder
thingy (the technical term) I rigged up using a smaller dowel, a
popsicle stick and a couple of rubber bands. Then, I my rotary tool
with saw blade attachment and ran it across the coil. It took a little
experimenting, and the discovery that "hey, if you go too slowly, you
might set that wooden dowel on fire!" (anyone know how to get burn marks
off sterling silver?), but I got them done. Fortunately, I was paranoid
enough that I made sure someone else was in the house just in case
something bad happend. My dad got some good entertainment value from
watching me work, and he even took digital pictures ("Dad, knock it
off!!!") heehee

Karen

Old March 28th 05, 06:20 PM
m3rma1d

Karen Chan wrote:

Some perverted part of my brain decided that I "had" to do them myself
this time...

I totally understand that, I've been so into making 100% of my stuff
lately--chandelier earring findings, various clasps, end-caps, been learning
to set stones--and have even cut some of my own! (Wish I could figure out
the polishing)... ack!!!! Well, yeah, I'm just trying to be able to do every
last detail. I all-but mine the damn silver and drawn my own freakin' wire I
can't feel ok right now about using anything "storebought"! (Ok, so I do
wanna try drawing wire though...)

having done that, I'll be sure to let you know when I need a busload of
rings in the future!

HAHAHAHahahaha, no prob.
I will never be a hand model, I have tried MANY ways of cutting jumprings,
lemme tell ya.

(anyone know how to get burn marks off sterling silver?),

Some pickling acid solution warmed in a crock put does the trick pretty
well....
If yer saying "Huh? Pickles? Will dill work?" I (Or others here) could point
you to some resources.....
But now you may need to ask yourself: How far into silversmithing do you
wanna go?

Wheeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

-- m3rma1d

Old March 29th 05, 02:18 AM
Polly S.

m3rma1d wrote:

But now you may need to ask yourself: How far into silversmithing do you
wanna go?

Wheeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

jumping in here

Oh! to have more time and space!!! I've dreamed most of my life of
working all kinds of metal!!!

--
Polly
---
Old March 29th 05, 03:36 AM
m3rma1d

Oh! to have more time and space!!! I've dreamed most of my life of working
all kinds of metal!!!

I can't help you on time (forever I've suggested congress pass a bill adding
more hours to days, but they never listen...)
As far as space goes, I live in a VERY tight spaced apartment... And I've
got tools and art-making supplies like nobody's business. I don't just work
in beady silvery jewelry type stuff, I also do some woodworking, plus as far
as non-tool-y things- I paint, sculpt... dabble in a bit of photography...
(then there's the 55 gallon sa****er tank, the cats, the lizard....)
But as far as space for tools for silversmithing, not tooooo very much is
needed (for me, anyway,) it's CRAZY some of the crap I've got going on in
here for an apartment in a city.... People compare me to Kramer (on
Seinfeld)

But I also travel once or twice a month with a very heavy amount of my
jewelry-making tools & supplies--I set up shop IN HOTEL ROOMS all the time,
it's a riot!!!

:-P

-- m3rma1d
--
"Polly S." wrote in message
m3rma1d wrote:

But now you may need to ask yourself: How far into silversmithing do you
wanna go?

Wheeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

jumping in here

--
Polly
---
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
http://saxoncreek.com/

Soldering sterling jump rings Nicki Jewelry 1 January 18th 05 04:32 PM
Soldering jump rings with glass Robin Jewelry 9 September 9th 04 04:41 AM
Review: Snapeez Jump Rings Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 22nd 04 01:44 PM
Soldering Jump Rings Raane Jewelry 10 March 16th 04 04:28 PM
Silver jump rings? Harry Beads 18 January 27th 04 05:42 PM