Clown Outfit and boy size 8-10

Old November 17th 04, 12:15 AM
Dixie Sugar

Default Clown Outfit and boy size 8-10

Does anyone have a pattern or directions to make a clown suit for a size 8
to 10 boy. My grandson needs one for a play at school and I promised to
make him one but, I haven't been able to find a pattern.

TIA

Brenda

Old November 17th 04, 03:15 AM
Juno

"Dixie Sugar" wrote in message
Does anyone have a pattern or directions to make a clown suit for a size 8
to 10 boy.

Look at Kwik Sew Patterns and see if they have a jump suit pattern. Make a
ruffle for the collar and around the wrists and ankles. Sew big pompoms down
the front close to the button holes or next to a zipper. If you can only
find something for girls and it has buttons just reverse the sides the
button and button holes go on by reversing the facings. You can also look in
Simplicity and McCalls pattern books for clown suit patterns. It will
probably be in the costume sections. The big thing in clown suits is to keep
it colorful.
Juno

Old November 17th 04, 03:27 AM
CNYstitcher

Something like this, perhaps??

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...0020&pageNum=8

The following are for adults, and could be cut down:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...64&StartRow=11
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...0013&pageNum=6
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...0020&pageNum=7

Larisa

Old November 17th 04, 05:40 AM
Trish Brown

My DD's friend's dad *is* a clown! He makes his costumes from basic (E Z
2 Sew) drawstring pants patterns and ladies' peasant blouse patterns
(raglan sleeves and gathered neckline). The art is in first piecing
together some seriously colourful fabric, so a good idea would be to get
pieces of primary colours or appropriately bright prints. A black and
white harlequin style costume is easy to put together and then it's a
simple matter to add a coloured ruffle, silly hat and plastic nose. A
floppy flower is a nice touch in the hat. If you can find a joke
water-pistol flower (with long tube attached) it would add to the
atmosphere!

For professional clowns, 'the baggier the better' is the rule. They like
a *lot* of gusset in the crotch and under the arms for ease of movement.
I don't think your boy would need that, though. I'd be inclined to make
a plain white baggy outfit and then add the colourful accessories in the
form of removable ruffles (just gather them with an elasticated casing
or even stretch some elastic onto the selvedge as you sew). You could
also consider a coloured vest or tunic.

Good luck with it, anyway. Kids' costumes are the *best* fun to make! ;-D

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. I just realised: I've recently made ruffles for DD's ballet costume!
All I did was to cut out circular pieces of fabric and then cut a circle
from their centres (the wrist/foot hole). I stitched a piece of bias
binding to the inner edge of the hole and then whip-stitched the other
side down as best I could (no need to be fussy - this made a casing.
Then I threaded through elastic to fit and bob was yeruncle! I used two
circles of fabric per ruffle: one was disco sequins and the other glow
-in-the-dark spotted stuff (DD's ballet teacher has delusions of
Spielberg!) You could add a bottom layer of stiff tulle to give your
ruffles some body and make them sit up. *Make sure* you bind the cut
edges that will touch the child's skin, though! Tulle is *awful* when it
rubs!

PPS. A great finish for things like this is to simply run a rolled
overlocker (serger) hem around. It's much quicker and easier than trying
to turn a 'proper' hem!
Old November 17th 04, 06:08 AM
Valkyrie

"Dixie Sugar" wrote in message
Does anyone have a pattern or directions to make a clown suit for a size 8
to 10 boy. My grandson needs one for a play at school and I promised to
make him one but, I haven't been able to find a pattern.

TIA

Brenda

McCall's M3306.......clown pattern ......children's sizes.....includes hats
and neck ruffles.. $4.95
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/mccallspatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.M3306=x&TI='clown'&pageNum=1

Val

Old November 17th 04, 01:32 PM
Karen Maslowski

Just for the record, the Wild Ginger PatternMaster software, in
Boutique, TailorMade, and Childs Play versions, all have these garments.
For the last year, I have worked sewing shows for this company, and have
sold an awful lot of programs to costumers because these garments, and
jumpsuits of many versions, are included in the programs.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old November 17th 04, 03:49 PM
Karen M.

Juno wrote:

Look at Kwik Sew Patterns and see if they have a jump suit pattern....

I'd make it a 2-pc get-up, for obvious reasons!

--Karen M.
former participant in the Detroit T-Day parade who selected the only
2-pc outfit for the clown volunteers, and was happy about it
Old November 17th 04, 04:06 PM
Juno

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...

I'd make it a 2-pc get-up, for obvious reasons!

--Karen M.

Karen, I woke up in the middle of the night and it hit me, Use a pattern for
sweats . Great minds......lol Lycra house has some of the most colorful
stretch fabric I've ever seen. They have a really lovely and colorful
cotton lycra knits that would work up well.
Juno

Old November 17th 04, 07:49 PM

Dixie Sugar wrote:

Does anyone have a pattern or directions to make a clown suit for a size 8
to 10 boy. My grandson needs one for a play at school and I promised to
make him one but, I haven't been able to find a pattern.

They have them in the Simplicity catalog under Costumes if you are in a
place where you get Simplicity patterns, providing you mean a Pierrot
type of clown.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.