Steel shot tumbling question

Old November 29th 03, 02:11 AM
bluemaxx

Default Steel shot tumbling question

I was going to post this to the jewelry ng, but the moderator is
gone till Sunday nite and I want to start tumbling NOW...

So I finally broke down and bought the steel shot I needed for
tumbling my silver into a shine again. My BIG concern is that some
of the tarnished silver beads that I have are *quite* tiny... hollow
2-3mm balls, small hollow tubes, etc. They are pretty fragile all
by themselves, but going into 5 pounds of steel??

Will they survive? Or do you think the steel shot will dent the
more fragile beads? I've tumbled my tarnished silver once before,
using a fine, sandy grit of crushed walnut shells... now THAT was a
mistake!!! I was picking the grit/sand outta the beads for WEEKS.

Anyone used their steel shot for tumbling on teensy, tiny, hollow,
fragile beads before, that can give me some advice? ))))))))))))

Linda

---

Old November 29th 03, 05:59 AM
BeckiBead

Linda -- why? Dip them in Tarn-X and it is done.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 29th 03, 08:44 AM
Lisa

If you feel the need to use the tumbler, you can just use Dawn dish
detergent with no shot at all.

The tumbling really is for hardening or removing burrs on jump rings, ear
wires, etc.

Lisa

Old November 29th 03, 08:50 PM
bluemaxx

Thanks very much to all who answered my query. To clarify, I hate
Tarnex. The few items I've used it on end up blacker than ever,
once whatever it is in the Tarnex wears off after a month or so.

I depend on repeat customers thru the art gallery I sell at. If my
silver jewelry turned black within a month after a person purchased
it, I'm sure they wouldn't be back to purchase again. And you would
be surprised at how many people buy jewelry, but never clean it
after their purchase (judging by the few repairs and many resizings
I've done). I have had no luck cleaning blackened pieces with a
conventional liquid jewelry cleaner. There are also items I've made
that haven't sold and have been 'retired' after 6 months. These are
the SS pieces that I have the most problem with.

You see, the glass cases my work is in are directly exposed to sun,
along with humidity from an adjoining Atrium. I think I need to get
some of those anti-tanish paper sheets to place in the cases to see
if that will help guard against tarnish.

But I also like tumble Hill Tribe silver, along with any 'blackened'
Bali beads that I have, to make them shine more. I also add a
creamy liquid polishing agent to the fine grit tumbling mixture. It
has a wonderful protectant in it against future tarnish. I need my
silver to stay as shiny as possible for as *long* as possible.

:
: The tumbling really is for hardening or removing burrs on jump
rings, ear
: wires, etc.
:
: Lisa
: ...

Old November 29th 03, 09:35 PM
Lisa

I have been selling handcreated sterling jewelry for a couple of years in
retail locations, and guess what, silver tarnishes. That's the nature of
the beast.
Do you include a romance card with each piece indicating the best way to
clean the piece? Using a polishing cloth is really a simple way to do it.
Your gallery owner should be wiping the jewelry as part of his/her
merchandising.

The way that Tarnex or any of the other "dip" type of cleaners cleans is by
removing a teeny tiny weeny beeny bit of silver each time you dip, so it is
not an effective way to clean at all.

It's up to you and the gallery owner to educate your customers in how to
keep their jewelry clean. An educated consumer is your best customer
(paraphrased from Sy Syms).

Lisa

"Lisa" wrote in message
: If you feel the need to use the tumbler, you can just use Dawn
dish
: detergent with no shot at all.
:
: The tumbling really is for hardening or removing burrs on jump
rings, ear
: wires, etc.
:
: Lisa
: ...

Old November 30th 03, 08:56 AM
bluemaxx

No, I don't include a 'romance card'. IMHO, I think they're a waste
of money & energy. People are either going to clean their jewelry
or not... and I believe a card telling them *how* to clean their new
jewelry purchase isn't going to make them actually *do* it.

The gallery owner does periodically wipe down my jewelry with a
polishing cloth, but most especially when a piece sells and she's
wrapping it up for the buyer... but there is only so much you can
get to with a polishing cloth and your fingers.

My jewelry is made of USA artisan lampwork, .925 sterling,
Bali/Hilltribe/Israel silver, along with vintage/non-vintage accent
beads. So if a 2-3mm SS bead is tarnished and it's next to a
10-12mm lampwork bead, the tarnished bead can't be easily reached
for polishing. Hence the need to 'retire' those of my bracelets
that haven't sold within a certain period of time (whether I like
the design or not) in order to take the silver out for polishing.

Thanks for your comments.

: "Lisa" wrote in message
:
: : If you feel the need to use the tumbler, you can just use Dawn
: dish
: : detergent with no shot at all.
: :
: : The tumbling really is for hardening or removing burrs on jump
: rings, ear
: : wires, etc.
: :
: : Lisa
: : "BeckiBead" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Linda -- why? Dip them in Tarn-X and it is done.
: :
: :
: : Becki
: : "In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view
of
: the
: : crumbling
: : difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
: :
: :
:
:
: ---
11/27/2003
:
:
:

---

Old November 30th 03, 12:59 PM
Lisa

Not all jewelry that is bought is bought for the buyer. Much of our
jewelry, especially in the spring, is bought for young women. It very often
is the first peice of fine jewelry they get...Confirmation, Bat Mitzvah,
graduation, confirmation. Since it is often a first piece, a romance card
reminds them both of HOW to care for their piece and WHO made it. The
first piece we gave to our 9 year old niece included a card, and she takes
meticulous care of her jewelry because she knows how...and her mother
learned how to do it, and now her jewelry is now better-cared for.

The majority of our jewelry is hand crafted...I silversmith and my sister
goldmiths, but we do stringing, using the same materials as you have listed,
and we have no problem cleaning small beads next to lampwork or larger
silver beads or vintage crystals, acrylics and again, never had a problem
with a polishing cloth reaching small beads.

Another alternative, which does not remove silver is a baby toothbrush and
crest regular toothpaste. You can also use your finger, although if you
can't get in there to use a cloth, the toothbrush is quite likely your best
bet. I learned that tip in my first construction class. Don't use it
often, but it does work.

It just seems foolish that something so simple is causing you to do double
the work. Good luck.

Lisa

: "Lisa" wrote in message
:
: : If you feel the need to use the tumbler, you can just use Dawn
: dish
: : detergent with no shot at all.
: :
: : The tumbling really is for hardening or removing burrs on jump
: rings, ear
: : wires, etc.
: :
: : Lisa
: : ...

Old November 30th 03, 03:18 PM
bluemaxx

"Lisa" wrote in message

snip
: The majority of our jewelry is hand crafted...I silversmith and my
sister
: goldmiths, but we do stringing, using the same materials as you
have listed,
: and we have no problem cleaning small beads next to lampwork or
larger
: silver beads or vintage crystals, acrylics and again, never had a
problem
: with a polishing cloth reaching small beads.

Obviously, you have fingers as thin as toothpicks that are as strong
as steel.

Try cleaning hundreds of bracelets/necklaces in one sitting with a
polishing cloth. I guarantee your hands will cramp after cleaning
about 15 pieces. And believe me, it's *much* easier to take my
jewelry apart and remake a new design after tumbling the silver
components to restore the shine.

snip
: It just seems foolish that something so simple is causing you to
do
: double the work. Good luck.

Foolish?!!! Simple?!!! At any given time, I will have
approximately 5-6 *thousand dollars of inventory for sale. It is NOT
a simple matter - keeping my jewelry *pristine* at all times is
extremely important to me. Factor in the sunlight and humidity
problems and within 45 days, a new piece of jewelry can look like
it's been sitting there for 6-8 months.

And whether the silver is something as large as my hand-wrapped wire
bangles or as small as a 2mm SS bead, I've had the best and longest
lasting shine factor by tumbling silver.

Perhaps you, your niece and your "first paying client" (posted
11-7-03) think cleaning sterling silver is a "simple" matter, but I
don't. **Plonk**

: Lisa

---

Old November 30th 03, 03:32 PM
Lisa

and, why so angry? you sound like you have to prove something with your
dollars and cents, and my jewelry is artisan jewelry.

stringing is relatively simple, as is keeping silver shiny. you musn't be
very successful if you are using shot in a tumbler to clean small beads.

and why no way to reply to you personally?

I repeat...you're an angry woman who feels that she needs puffery to make
herself feel better. I feel sorry for you.

Lisa
"bluemaxx" wrote in message

snip

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
tumbling / steel shot size bluemaxx Beads 3 July 22nd 03 04:08 PM
silversmithing anvil question bluemaxx Beads 4 July 22nd 03 04:05 PM