OT Making cushion covers from sari's?

Old August 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Suzie B

Default OT Making cushion covers from sari's?

A work colleague has kinda asked me (ok I volunteered in a moment of
weakness...!) to make some cushion covers for her new dark leather
lounge suite, and has picked out one of her old sari's for me to use.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there an easy cushion pattern out there
that a clutz like me can understand?

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK
Old August 15th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Do you mean instructions for the closing part on the back, Suzie?
If so, the easiest thing I have done is to put Velcro on the two halves
of the back - before putting anything together. In fact, whatever
closure you decide on, fix it before you put the front on! Once that's
done, you can do what you want with the front, then sew them together =
job done.

If you are going to quilt it, don't leave off the backing - pulling the
cushion pad in and out can be quite wearing on the quilting (so I
understand, I haven't done it).
..
In message , Suzie B
writes
A work colleague has kinda asked me (ok I volunteered in a moment of
weakness...!) to make some cushion covers for her new dark leather
lounge suite, and has picked out one of her old sari's for me to use.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there an easy cushion pattern out there
that a clutz like me can understand?

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 15th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Suzie B wrote:

A work colleague has kinda asked me (ok I volunteered in a moment of
weakness...!) to make some cushion covers for her new dark leather
lounge suite, and has picked out one of her old sari's for me to use.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there an easy cushion pattern out there
that a clutz like me can understand?

Suzie B

Sari's make great cushion covers! I like to make giant ones out of the
elaborate head pieces. I never use a pattern. You just need to know
the size of the cushion pad. Cut a square about an inch bigger than the
pad: insert zip in bottom edge. Sew up with 5/" seam allowances (I like
to serge the edges first), and turn right side out. You can insert
piping if you want. You need to aim for the finished cushion cover to
be an inch or a tad over for bigger cushions SMALLER than the pad, so
the thing looks well stuffed when in there. The giant black and gold
one I did for my God-daughter's sister has turned into a popular item
among their friends, with mild squabbles over who gets to snuggle up
with/on it. It was made with the head piece from the sari I made into
this jacket:
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co....4-jacketon.jpg

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!