Really Big chunks of agate

Old March 12th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

Default Really Big chunks of agate

Connie, the candle is hot enough for dop wax. Just heat it on a
flame-proof disc above the flame so the melt doesn't drip onto the
flame. It will not be the fastest method, but the melt would tend to
preclude future use of anything like a cup warmer. I've used old soup
cans, with multiple hole punched in the sides sothe candle flame gets
enough oxygen. It's admittedly an amateur solution, but there are
times when I don't want to break out a dop pot for just one use...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:47:29 -0700, "C Ryman"
discovered a keyboard and, for our
edification and amusement, submitted

Hi Delvia,
This thread is sort of old. But since you posted I have a question.
I want to melt a small amount of DOP wax and don't want to buy the machine.
Does anyone know of a simple easy way to do this? Would a coffee cup warmer
get hot enough? Or perhaps a candle?

Blessed be, for sure...
Old March 12th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:47:29 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "C Ryman"
wrote:

I want to melt a small amount of DOP wax and don't want to buy the machine.
Does anyone know of a simple easy way to do this?

An alcohol lamp is another traditional way to do this. Not so much for melting
a bunch of wax, but works fine for melting a bit of the wax on the end of the
dop wax stick, transferring that small amount to a dop stick, and dopping a
stone. Preheating the stone a bit so the wax will stick better is easily done
by putting it on some bit of metal so you can heat that metal from below,
avoiding direct contact of the stone with the flame. I recall doing this with
an old spoon or something of the sort. worked fine. If you're doing more than
one or two stones, an old "thrift store" electric fry pan set on low is great
for prewarming the stones too. To this day, when I occasionally need to dop a
stone, I usually just use a flame, either my bench torch, one of those little
cheap butane torches, or an alcohol lamp or some such, to handle the wax. Quick
and easy, and done long before the dop wax melting pot even starts to get
warm...

Peter
Old March 17th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
robynahawk

wrote:
I want to melt a small amount of DOP wax and don't want to buy the machine.
Does anyone know of a simple easy way to do this?

Connie - I have always used a light bulb under a soup can with a metal
dish in the top of it to hold the wax.

The lighter or torch method will work on the fly - but if you are
working with larger cabs you will want the edge of the dish to warm
your stones on...the wax sticks better when the stone is warm.

The other alternative is super glue!

Robyn Hawk
Old March 18th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

--
Connie Ryman