Needle advice or experience please

Old September 2nd 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Needle advice or experience please

Soon I'll be starting a shawl - the Frost and Ice - with Kidsilk Haze yarn
(70% super kid mohair, 30% silk), it's very fine.

The needles recommended are UK6/5mm/US7 or 8 and the tip is that bamboo
needles may be preferred.

I've never used bamboo but did find when I knitted the pi shawl, with 2ply
baby wool on conventional aluminium circular needles, that the wool did slip
and stitches were sometimes not easy to manage.

Has anyone any advice - and can you get bamboo needles in circular format?

TIA

Mary

Old September 2nd 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:41:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Soon I'll be starting a shawl - the Frost and Ice - with Kidsilk Haze
yarn (70% super kid mohair, 30% silk), it's very fine.

The needles recommended are UK6/5mm/US7 or 8 and the tip is that bamboo
needles may be preferred.

I've never used bamboo but did find when I knitted the pi shawl, with 2ply
baby wool on conventional aluminium circular needles, that the wool did
slip and stitches were sometimes not easy to manage.

Has anyone any advice - and can you get bamboo needles in circular format?

TIA

Mary

Here you are Mary
http://www.texere.co.uk/yarns.php?ca...subcategory=19

I haven't bought from these people but have them among my favourites as
they have a super site and give all the latest information.

Old September 2nd 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
[...]

Oh, thanks!

But boo - I was in Bradford yesterday - bringiing home a daughter in law
from hospital!

:-)

Mary

Old September 2nd 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news

Here you are Mary
http://www.texere.co.uk/yarns.php?ca...subcategory=19

I've just looked more closely.

What a site!

Mary

Old September 2nd 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

When I knitted a lacy scarf from Kidsilk Haze last year, I used US7 bamboo
needles. The only problem I had was that they were not pointy enough for
the decrease stitches. Using advice from others here, I solved the problem
with some sandpaper.

--
Jan in MN

"Mary Fisher" wrote...

Old September 2nd 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Sep 2, 5:41 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Soon I'll be starting a shawl - the Frost and Ice - with Kidsilk Haze yarn
(70% super kid mohair, 30% silk), it's very fine.

The needles recommended are UK6/5mm/US7 or 8 and the tip is that bamboo
needles may be preferred.

I've never used bamboo but did find when I knitted the pi shawl, with 2ply
baby wool on conventional aluminium circular needles, that the wool did slip
and stitches were sometimes not easy to manage.

Has anyone any advice - and can you get bamboo needles in circular format?

You can, Mary. My yarn store (the one I visit g) carries them. I
find pros
and cons for them. Pro: they are not as slippery as aluminum (Canadian
spelling!) ones. Con: I break them. g
The price is about the same, and if you handle them correctly, they
shouldn't break.
HTH

Higs,
Katherine

Old September 3rd 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Jan" wrote in message
When I knitted a lacy scarf from Kidsilk Haze last year, I used US7 bamboo
needles. The only problem I had was that they were not pointy enough for
the decrease stitches. Using advice from others here, I solved the
problem with some sandpaper.

That's a useful tip - not a deliberate joke! - thank you.

Mary

Old September 3rd 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It does. I think I'll try them out - when daughter in law has chosen a
colour ...

Thanks to everyone.

Mary

Higs,
Katherine

Old September 3rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Sep 3, 5:37 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]