OT (semi) Sewing machine

Old August 10th 04, 03:24 AM
Christina Peterson

Default OT (semi) Sewing machine

Sewing is on topic if you (plan to) sew on beads, isn't it? I'm ordering a
sewing machine manual for a Brother XL 2010. It's an "older" machine. But
it's got 18 stitches and looks clean and well cared for. Got it at the
dump! I don't sew much. Partly because my sewing machine is almost 120
years old. This is exciting.

I also pick up a lot of books there. Sent a box of books to work with April
who works in a juvenile facility. And some I take in for credit on used
books. Some I bring over to the women's shelter. And the darling tiny tea
party set, with bunnies and flowers, I sent to my granddaughter.

It's a beautiful day and the fair is in town.

Tina

Old August 10th 04, 05:37 AM
Jalynne

I like old machines, too! Two have found their way into my home, and I love them
both. This week, I have to get the basement cleaned up so I can actually USE them.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Now, sewing beads on is something I can relate to. What do you plan to sew?
You own a 120 year old sewing machine???? Ooohhhhhh... I like old machines.
Many sewists lust after them because they do what they do so well... at
least some do.
Congrats on your great find, may you stitch many happy miles on her.
Diana

Old August 10th 04, 08:40 AM
AmazeR

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:24:14 -0800, Christina Peterson wrote:

Sewing is on topic if you (plan to) sew on beads, isn't it? I'm ordering a
sewing machine manual for a Brother XL 2010. It's an "older" machine. But
it's got 18 stitches and looks clean and well cared for. Got it at the
dump! I don't sew much. Partly because my sewing machine is almost 120
years old. This is exciting.

You got it at the dump? WTH? Why would someone throw out a lovely old
machine like that? They need their head read!!! Lucky for you though.
So what are you going to make with it first? And does it include beads?
I'm STILL working on an outfit with tiny beads sewn all over it... I'll
post pics some time... DD likes beads on her clothes too, so I get to
make stuff for her too... Although, I'm teaching her to sew at the
moment, so hopefully I'll have more time to sew for myself soon...

I also pick up a lot of books there. Sent a box of books to work with April
who works in a juvenile facility. And some I take in for credit on used
books. Some I bring over to the women's shelter. And the darling tiny tea
party set, with bunnies and flowers, I sent to my granddaughter.

Absolutely amazing what people throw out!! Our dump has a digger which
goes into swing as soon as you pull up and dump policy says you can't
remove anything!!! They also have a recycling station at the dump on your
way in and they stop you before entering and remove anything that looks
remotely usable first!

Mavis

Old August 10th 04, 08:47 AM
AmazeR

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:27:18 -0700, vj wrote:

is now the time to tell you my mother is giving me her treadle machine
that belonged to my grandmother?

Shut up!

Green eyed monster just leaped up and grabbed me!!!!!!!!

Mavis

Old August 10th 04, 09:14 AM
Christina Peterson

How great!!

Tina

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Jalynne"
:

]I like old machines, too! Two have found their way into my home, and I

love them
]both. This week, I have to get the basement cleaned up so I can actually

USE them.

is now the time to tell you my mother is giving me her treadle machine
that belonged to my grandmother?

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Old August 10th 04, 09:16 AM
Christina Peterson

I do this with beads sometimes. I don't like the fiddly finishing things.
But that's the price I have to pay for the fun part.

Tina

"vj" wrote...
**smile** i remember my grandma sewing school clothes for me. and how
painstaking she was over things like hems. i'd always get as far as
the hem and then lose interest!

Old August 10th 04, 09:22 AM
Christina Peterson

Dumpster diving is a time honored resource here. It's actually the transfer
stations that we go to. People who live out of town have no garbage pick
up, so there are transfer stations where people dump stuff in those great
huge dumpsters, which later get taken to the dump site.

At the transfer stations they have a place for aluminum, a place to bring
used oil, and old batteries (eg car batteries), and they have a concrete
floor with a roof over it to bring things someone else might want.

It makes good sense.

Tina

news

Old August 10th 04, 02:41 PM
Margie

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:24:14 -0800, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

It's a beautiful day and the fair is in town.

One woman's garbage is another woman's treasure.

Enjoy your sewing machine. What project do you plan on doing first?

--
Margie
http://www.picturetrail.com/margiek

OT sewing machine site Diana Curtis Beads 1 August 23rd 03 07:01 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM
OT - got a sewing machine! Helen C Beads 7 July 20th 03 09:18 AM