What is on your list?

Old October 29th 04, 07:39 PM
Susana

"Laura J" skrev i melding
news:VPbgd.2377$eU2.909@trndny05...
Hi everyone,

My mother has asked for a Christmas list from me. I have already
added the ball winder/shift that someone suggested to someone looking
for a present for his knitting wife a couple of months ago. I also
just HAVE to get my hands on Vogue Knitting! But that got me
wondering what other kinds of things all you yarn fiends covet?

So, what yarn-related gifts are on your list this year?

LauraJ

I'd would love to get some crochets books and patterns. Especially a
beginners knitting set, I so want to learn. I'm going to be dropping
hints to my hubby.

Susana
Old October 29th 04, 09:54 PM
cher

I bought 'folk bags' beginning of the year....splendid book, cheers...cher x
"BDS2pds" wrote in message
Folk Bags

I have the Folk Shawls and Folk Vests and love them, particularly the

latter.

---

Old October 30th 04, 02:57 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Laura J wrote:
Hi everyone,

My mother has asked for a Christmas list from me. I have already
added the ball winder/shift that someone suggested to someone
looking for a present for his knitting wife a couple of months ago.
I also just HAVE to get my hands on Vogue Knitting! But that got me
wondering what other kinds of things all you yarn fiends covet?

So, what yarn-related gifts are on your list this year?

Good needles. I am thinking specifically of some (gasp!) Addi turbo
circulars.

Katherine

Katherine, I just heard from a friend, that there are now circular
knitting needles for sale where you can change the length of the wire
for one size needles. Sorry, I can't remember the brand name, but I
bet that someone here may have heard about them and will tell us.
You buy the whole set and it is not cheap, but you do not have to buy
all different length any more of one size needle. I never seem to
have the right length, most of the time I have the correct size, but
only need a wire for say 30 st and I have one that will hold 60. I
am going to look into that one for Christmas when the kids ask what I
want. The other tooli want is for the garden....I want a pair of good
garden snips, Mine always come apart.....:=(( or worse I loose
them.....LOL

Els,
I have a set like that, and don't like them. The yarn catches on the join,
and never glides. I have heard that the Addi are wonderful, and I am ready
to try one.

Katherine

Old October 30th 04, 04:39 AM
Els van Dam

In article , mejane
wrote:

I remember reading on this group a number of years ago that
some people had the kits with a detachable wire, different
sized needles which attached onto a wire. I can't remember
if they had different lengths but I know it was at a time
when I saw the kits in a magazine and wanted one. Everyone
said where the needle attached to the wire caused the wool
to catch and was annoying. Also, the wire would come off as
the join would come loose. So, even though I always work
with circular needles, I want to hear from people how these
new, expensive kits work before I buy.

Jane in Toronto

Yes Jane, I agree with you, I also would like to look over someones
shoulder to see how they work. I would be lovely if they did though, I
have gone to buying thick dp neeldes again, because I am knitting many
bags for felting and hop from 5 to 6 to 7, 8 and 9 mm needles and
depending on the size of the bag, I need different wires. (groan)

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old October 31st 04, 03:42 AM
Elizabeth Naime

Katherine, I just heard from a friend, that there are now circular
knitting needles for sale where you can change the length of the wire for
one size needles. Sorry, I can't remember the brand name, but I bet that
someone here may have heard about them and will tell us.

Els, I'm not Katherine (in some quarters they call me Els!), but are you
thinking of the Boye Needle Master here?
http://www.wrights.com/products/cata...mates_accs.htm

I don't knit fluently enough to even consider such a thing, but it does
look good. I hope someone here will have a chance to try it out and
report on how well they work (particularly the needle/wire join, people
are saying that's the problem place for this kind of thing).

For those of you making wish lists for the coming holidays, in the US,
do you have a Michael's nearby? Ours puts a "40% off any one item"
catalog in the paper almost every week! Recently Jo Anne's had a similar
one, 40% or 50% off "any single item." Unless these chains actually
charge almost twice as much, seems to me a single big-ticket item like
the Needle Master would be a good place to use those cupons!

(Um, well, no, I didn't really NEED that
every-steel-and-aluminum-standard-size crochet hook set, but I can
always USE another hook... and at 50% off it wasn't badly priced at
all...)
Only know that there is no spork.
Old October 31st 04, 08:21 AM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Els, a while ago I bought myself (for a treat you understand!) a set of
Denise interchangeable needles
http://knitdenise.com/ and I've found them very useful. I can imagine that
the sets that screw together could come undone, but these have a nice little
"click" mechanism. You can make all sorts of lengths of circular needles,
stitch holders, "straight" needles with cables of varying lengths, and it
all comes in a neat little case. I like them very much
HTH
Love Christine

Old October 31st 04, 11:26 AM
Katherine

I have heard good and bad things about the Denise needles. Since I use
mostly straights or DPNs, and since I inherited many circulars from my
mother, I think I'll pass. But I would like to get a couple od Addis in the
sizes I use most.
Katherine

Old October 31st 04, 01:41 PM
Sue W

I bought some Denise needles last year after a thread on this ng mentioned
them. I find the joins stay together well. I had to emery the stamped size
markings on each tip since there were snaggy bits sticking up. If you like
your knitting to not slip off the needles when you're not looking, you'll
like these. I have since built up a collection of Addi Turbos and I much
prefer them to knit with, smooth, fast and fairly quiet in use. If you can
master the magic loop method, then you can manage without lots of different
lengths.
Another point - the Denise sizes don't all correspond to metric sizing, so
beware trying to mix them with other needles in the same project. Found this
out the hard way last year when knitting an aran weight sweater in the
round. It was getting hard work moving the stitches around (the cords are a
bit thick), so I went to change to a standard type circular only to discover
the sizes didn't match closely enough :-(

--
Sue in East Anglia, UK

Old October 31st 04, 04:40 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

I "treated" myself to some of those too, Katherine, and they're really good.
Smooth and the joins are perfect, probably not the best thing for rayon or
silk yarn, just too slippy, but since I've never knit with either of those
yet the Addis suit me fine.
I don't know if you're getting just a bit of a picture here, something to do
with knitting needle/crochet hook/Tunisian hook/tatting shuttle/double ended
hook/ circulars etc. addiction? I think I just confessed!!
Love Christine

Old October 31st 04, 05:33 PM
Katherine

Thanks for the recommendation, Sue. If I can get some Addis next week, they
will be in my Christmas box.

Katherine