Puppen Fimo & Fimo

Old December 28th 03, 09:01 PM
Rachel

Default Puppen Fimo & Fimo

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with Puppen Fimo? And if so, can you
tell me it's characteristics ... say as compared to Fimo Soft or Fimo
Classic or even Prosculpt?

I checked the GlassAttic but there wasn't much info that I could find
on this clay.

Thanks
Rachel
Old December 29th 03, 05:58 PM
Sjpolyclay

Does anyone have any experience with Puppen Fimo?

I used it about ten years ago. Its basically Classic Fimo Flesh colored, but a
little stronger and it came in a larger brick. Its nice enough, but rather more
opaque than I like--I mix in translucent for a waxier flesh---more like Cernit.
Very firm, not as heat sensitive as cernit and premo.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old January 1st 04, 03:24 PM
Christina Hellström

atspam (Sjpolyclay) wrote in
:

Does anyone have any experience with Puppen Fimo?

I used it about ten years ago. Its basically Classic Fimo Flesh
colored, but a little stronger and it came in a larger brick. Its nice
enough, but rather more opaque than I like--I mix in translucent for a
waxier flesh---more like Cernit. Very firm, not as heat sensitive as
cernit and premo. Sarajane

I use Puppen Fimo, and think it is the best "straight from the package"
clay for making doll parts that I have used (although I haven't yet tried
everything available). I would say that it is currently more like Fimo Soft
than Classic Fimo, as it can be used straight from the package. It is
firmer than Fimo Soft, not as sticky as it has more of a chalkier feel to
it, and the smoothing abilities (getting rid of a seam, I mean) is even
better than for Fimo Soft.

Adding translucent is a great idea, I have to try that. I love the way
Cernit looks, and the way the clay moves when one pushes it. I can make
lovely lips very easily with Cernit, but with every other clay I have major
problems. But I really hate the heat sensitivity and that I never can get
rid of any seams without pushing everything else out of shape (warm hands,
and not the most nimble fingers).

Overall, I love Puppen Fimo. It is not the ultimate doll clay, but it is by
far the best I have used.

--
//Christina Hellström
http://www.geocities.com/chellstr/
Old January 1st 04, 08:03 PM
Sjpolyclay

I would say that it is currently more like Fimo Soft
than Classic Fimo, as it can be used straight from the package.

No matter how nice and soft, clay should still be conditioned before use. This
aligns the molecules (you can actually see it with the mica bearing clays like
premo gold--its part of the basis of the mica shift techniques).
When the molecules are aligned, the clay is much stronger after baking than it
would otherwise be. You can test this by making two strips, band-aid sized,
about 1/8 inch thick. Make one from conditioned clay, one straight out of the
block, bake and flex when cooled.

Old January 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
Christina Hellström

atspam (Sjpolyclay) wrote in
:

I would say that it is currently more like Fimo Soft
than Classic Fimo, as it can be used straight from the package.

No matter how nice and soft, clay should still be conditioned before
use. This aligns the molecules (you can actually see it with the mica
bearing clays like premo gold--its part of the basis of the mica shift
techniques). When the molecules are aligned, the clay is much stronger
after baking than it would otherwise be. You can test this by making
two strips, band-aid sized, about 1/8 inch thick. Make one from
conditioned clay, one straight out of the block, bake and flex when
cooled. Sarajane

Well, I do "mush" it around, to redistribute the softener, until I get a
soft and even clay (10 sec to 1 min, depending on the amount of clay). By
"straight from the package" I mean that it doesn't need any major
conditioning, like Fimo Classic needs.

But are you sure conditioning actually aligns the molecules, and that the
clay needs this alignment to be strong? Mica is waaay bigger than molecules
(in general), so they are much more easily aligned by running the clay
through a pasta machine, but are polymers big enough for this? The reason I
ask is, that if the molecules would have to be aligned, then the
conditioning would need to be in a way that aligns it, and the clay used in
a way that doesn't un-align them. I usually do use a pasta machine,
especially if I'm mixing colors, but for me conditioning and using the clay
does generally include a lot of "mushing". I had understood that just
redistributing the softener and other "stuff" in the clay until it feels
soft and even would be enough.

Old January 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
Rachel

Christina,

How do you like the color of Puppen. I've heard it's too "pink" and
have you tried Prosculpt. If so, what do you think of that compared
to Puppen? I haven't tried Puppen yet but out of all the clays I've
used, Prosculpt is best for sculpting but I don't like it's color. I
am trying to get away from having to blend a clay before using it. I
love Fimo soft's color after baking (doll pink). It's quite
translucent but it's soooo soft, makes sculpting difficult. -Every
touch is a new mark to smooth.

Cernit's color was even better but I do not like working with it.
Can't get rid of seams and takes a long time to condition. Prosculpt
can be used straight from the package basically, like Fimo soft
(granted, we all condition any clay a little) but these two clays all
it takes is a little, literally.

Rachel

Old January 2nd 04, 06:23 PM
Sjpolyclay

But are you sure conditioning actually aligns the molecules, and that the
clay needs this alignment to be strong? Mica is waaay bigger than molecules
(in general),

Mica IS bigger, which makes it nicely visible to the non-believers that this
could be happening. But it really does. Polymers are long chains of molecules,
and Judith Skinner demonstrated to my skeptical self at our retreat this year
that it really does make a difference to align them. She swears there is an
"grain" to sheets of clay, similar to fabric and wood, and it really does make
a small but noticeable strength difference. I'm a believer now! If you are
going for long term art, then this is important--if you just want something for
now, then its not a big deal.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
Sjpolyclay

Prosculpt
can be used straight from the package basically, like Fimo soft
(granted, we all condition any clay a little) but these two clays all
it takes is a little, literally.

I think we should be very careful about saying "used straight from the package"
when we actually mean "condition any clay a little" because newbies don't know
the secret second part of the statement--and all of us are emmisaries of this
information we are spreading. Lets not keep the important parts unsaid. After
all--WE want the straight scoop too, right?

Old January 3rd 04, 02:44 AM
Christina Hellström

(Rachel) wrote in
om:

Christina,

How do you like the color of Puppen. I've heard it's too "pink" and

The color is perhaps a bit on the pink side, but it's ok with me. Some
translucency would be nice, so I'm going to try the added translucent clay
trick, that sounded really good.

have you tried Prosculpt. If so, what do you think of that compared
to Puppen? I haven't tried Puppen yet but out of all the clays I've
used, Prosculpt is best for sculpting but I don't like it's color. I
am trying to get away from having to blend a clay before using it. I
love Fimo soft's color after baking (doll pink). It's quite
translucent but it's soooo soft, makes sculpting difficult. -Every
touch is a new mark to smooth.

No, I haven't tried Prosculpt, although I have thought about ordering some
(and just a couple of mr Johnston's books , it does sound like a nice
clay. In what way is the color wrong?

I haven't tried the doll pink Fimo Soft, so I can't compare. Puppen Fimo
could be a bit firmer for my taste, but it is firm enough for me not to
mess everything else while working on some part. For non-flesh tone
sculptures I usually mix Fimo Soft and Classic to get a firmness to my
liking, but it is just soooo nice to be able to just take a lump of clay
from the package and start working with it. And, it's available here
locally, which is very nice and convenient.

Cernit's color was even better but I do not like working with it.
Can't get rid of seams and takes a long time to condition.

Ditto, ditto & ditto.