Is fusible tape the answer for hemming pants?

Old December 25th 13, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bill[_5_]

Default Is fusible tape the answer for hemming pants?

I have about 20 suits and a good 6 of them have at least one of the
pants leg hems in some state of unsew-dom. For those of you who have
this, it sometimes gets worse when you put the pants on because you can
catch your foot in the gap and rip even more threads out. I will either
have to leave a bunch of my suits out of commission while they're being
repaired or try to learn to do it myself (which is probably going to
ruin my eyesight and make me crazy because I don't know what I'm doing).
I've had people suggest fusible tape (example:
http://tinyurl.com/lmjrgsf). My questions for those of you who have used it:

1) Does it make the hems look visibly rippled, or thick, or anything
undesireable?
2) If it doesn't hold, is there any sort of irreversible damage (like
adhesive that won't come off and will then make hemming them with thread
problematic)?

They are all suit pants and will only be dry cleaned occasionally, and
never make it into the washer.

Thanks in advance -

Old December 25th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
David Scheidt

Bill wrote:

:I have about 20 suits and a good 6 of them have at least one of the
ants leg hems in some state of unsew-dom. For those of you who have
:this, it sometimes gets worse when you put the pants on because you can
:catch your foot in the gap and rip even more threads out. I will either
:have to leave a bunch of my suits out of commission while they're being
:repaired or try to learn to do it myself (which is probably going to

It should take a dry cleaner less than five minutes a pair to fix
them. Call, and you can probably arrange to have it done while you
wait.

To answer your question: fusible tape is absolutely the wrong thing to
use on trouser hems. It will change how the leg hangs, and fits
around a shoe.

--
sig 67

hemming tape [email protected] Needlework 3 October 7th 08 03:56 PM
OT need help hemming a skirt Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 16 July 31st 07 12:43 PM
Tape for keeping skirts and pants from slipping down? Martin Sewing 5 September 23rd 04 10:42 AM
Hemming suede pants? KatKaylor Sewing 7 March 4th 04 02:52 PM
Trouble hemming kids' pants Belindi Sewing 7 October 8th 03 02:14 PM