Sewing Question

Old March 19th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Starsong

Default Sewing Question

I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and I have a
question. What is a good project for someone who doesn't like
sewing,but wants to get over that dislike?

Starsong
Old March 19th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Starsong wrote:
I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and I
have a question. What is a good project for someone who
doesn't like sewing,but wants to get over that dislike?

Starsong

A few questions (which may or may not be relevent):

Are you male or female?

Child or adult?

Do you have a good sewing machine?

Do you have *any* previous experience sewing?

If "yes", what was the result?

Do you have good ironing equipment?

Do you have fabric?

Do you want to make clothing?

Or curtains?

Or ?????

Beverly

Old March 19th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

I think that depends on the personality of the person in question (you,
perhaps?) ... try to think of a project where the "reward" (the finished
product) will be great enough to outweigh the "dislike."

For some, that might be a purse or handbag ... for others, it might be a
wallhanging (quilt), for another it might be pot holders, and for those with
small girls, it might be a cute pinafore or sundress!

What other interests does this person have? Cooking? Knitting? Camping?
Chances are, you can always, always, always find a sewing project that will
complement other interests!!

Also, a dislike of sewing usually comes from a "bad experience" with sewing
.... for me, it was Home Ec in HS (and I've been told I'm not alone in that
respect). If you really want to encourage this person to enjoy sewing, find
out *why* they dislike it. Do they feel that it's too hard? Too complicated?
Tried it a few times and didn't get the results they wanted? Were pushed
into it by someone else when they weren't ready? Once you find the *why* you
can usually find the *how* of making them more comfy with it!!

Just my two cents!! Good luck!!
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old May 16th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Starsong

On Mar 19, 3:48*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
Starsong wrote:
I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and I
have a question. *What is a good project for someone who
doesn't like sewing,but wants to get over that dislike?

Starsong

A few questions (which may or may not be relevent):

Are you male or female? Female

Child or adult? Adult

Do you have a good sewing machine? Not sure if my sister's machine works. Though I want to hand sew.

Do you have *any* previous experience sewing? fixing seams and sewing on buttons, and I made a pillow in the 7th grade, and I actually still have it after 20+ years.

If "yes", what was the result? I had good solid seams and buttons that stayed on for a long time.

Do you have good ironing equipment? No

Do you have fabric? scraps, that I plan to try and make a quilt with.

Do you want to make clothing? Yes

Or curtains? No

Or ?????

Beverly

Beverly,

Hello! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Follow up is not
one of my strong suits, but here I am. I want to make professional
business clothes for myself. Though I don't know how to enlarge a
pattern or even how to pick out the appropriate patterns for what I
want to make.

My measurements don't fit the usual for women, so I have to modify
patterns or make my own.

Bust: 52 1/2"
Waist: 48"
Hips: 58"

Those are the most recent measurements I have. I would appreciate any
suggestions, especially since I want to make my clothes by hand. I
don't like mending, which is why I haven't been sewing for a long
time.

Starsong
Old May 16th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Starsong

On Mar 19, 4:49*pm, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:
I think that depends on the personality of the person in question (you,
perhaps?) ... try to think of a project where the "reward" (the finished
product) will be great enough to outweigh the "dislike."

At present, the sewing would be for me. Where can I find simple
patterns for maternity clothes? I'm not pregnant, but one never know
when children may happen.

For some, that might be a purse or handbag ... for others, it might be a
wallhanging (quilt), for another it might be pot holders, and for those with
small girls, it might be a cute pinafore or sundress!

I want to learn how to quilt, but I want to do it by hand, not by
machine. I'm an old soul in a young body so I tend to be old-
fashioned in my arts and crafts, so I don't machine knit either.

What other interests does this person have? Cooking? Knitting? Camping?
Chances are, you can always, always, always find a sewing project that will
complement other interests!!

I knit, crochet, and I want to cook and camp again. I just haven't
had the motivation to do the latter two in a long time, or the right
equipment.

Also, a dislike of sewing usually comes from a "bad experience" with sewing
... for me, it was Home Ec in HS (and I've been told I'm not alone in that
respect). If you really want to encourage this person to enjoy sewing, find
out *why* they dislike it. Do they feel that it's too hard? Too complicated?
Tried it a few times and didn't get the results they wanted? Were pushed
into it by someone else when they weren't ready? Once you find the *why* you
can usually find the *how* of making them more comfy with it!!

I used to fix ripped and worn seams and I replaced a button once.
What really did it was I tried to fix some stitchin on my Dad's pants
around the zipper and I couldn't do it. I just didn't feel like
trying anymore.

Starsong

Just my two cents!! Good luck!!
--

"Starsong" wrote in message

I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and I have a
question. *What is a good project for someone who doesn't like
sewing,but wants to get over that dislike?

Starsong- Hide quoted text -

Old May 16th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Starsong wrote:
I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and
have a question. What is a good project for someone
who
doesn't like sewing,but wants to get over that
dislike?

Starsong

A few questions (which may or may not be relevant):

Are you male or female? Female

See, right away that helps to know how to help you. ;-)

Child or adult? Adult
Do you have a good sewing machine? Not sure if my
sister's machine works. Though I want to hand sew.

Hand sewing is certainly possible, after all until sewing
machines were finally made for the home-sewists in the 19th
century, that's how all clothing was made. But I think
tackling "... professional
business clothes for [yourself]..." may be so time consuming
you would be better off finding a good 60's era mechanical
machine (my personal preference is the Singer 401A, which I
bought new in 1960 and am still using every day), and start
on a few basics then work up to "business clothes"
tailoring. Tailoring will include lots of hand sewing too,
but a machine will make things go faster.

Do you have *any* previous experience sewing? fixing
seams and sewing on buttons, and I made a pillow in the
7th grade, and I actually still have it after 20+
years.

If "yes", what was the result? I had good solid seams
and buttons that stayed on for a long time.

Solid seams are good, so are buttons that stay on. ;-)

Do you have good ironing equipment? No

Invest in a good ironing board and iron. You don't
necessarily "iron" while sewing, but lots of "pressing" is
absolutely necessary for a good result.

[...]

Here is a link to women's pattern sizing chart:
http://www.butterick.com/tech/charts/bwomen.html

Try some of the easy patterns from the "Big Four"
(Simplicity-Vogue-Butterick-McCalls). Here are a few links,
you'll find the patterns in your local fabric stores (often
on sale):

http://www.butterick.com/list/large_sizes/page-1

http://www.mccallpattern.com/list/large_sizes/page-1

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...c=8&startrow=1

http://www.voguepatterns.com/list/th...lection/page-1

Now this is important: Compare *your actual* measurements
to the measurements in the sizing charts. DO NOT buy a
pattern based on your Ready To Wear sizes, the two are very
dissimilar. Select a pattern size based on *your* largest
measurement, it's usually easier to scale down than up.
Many patterns contain three or more sizes in one envelope,
so you can usually use one set of lines for your hips,
another for your waist, and yet another for your bust.
Taper the lines to transition from one size to the other.

Another option is Wild Ginger's pattern softwa

http://www.wildginger.com/

Buy several yards of inexpensive fabric to make a "toile" or
practice garment. Then after you resolve any fitting
issues, buy nice fabric and use your altered pattern to make
a real garment.

Last, there are several good books available with basic
sewing instructions.

"Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing" is my favorite,
look for the pre-1980s edition (later editions added serger
information but deleted other basic stuff). You may be able
to find it at your local library.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

After you get farther along, there are some excellent books
on tailoring techniques, look especially for titles by
Claire Schaffer .
http://www.powells.com/biblio/1579544150

If you are able, sign up for a beginner's sewing class at
your local Community College, or look for instructors at
your fabric stores.

Those are the most recent measurements I have. I would
appreciate any
suggestions, especially since I want to make my clothes
by hand.

I think Butterick 4817 might be a good starting point. You
could make the blouse or vest, and after you are more
confident in your skills, the pants, skirt and jacket are
all in the same pattern envelope. Each piece is fairly
simple. Or, you might start with something really simple
like an apron, then move on to clothing.

don't like mending, which is why I haven't been sewing
for a long
time.

None of us likes mending or altering! ;-)

Good luck!

NAYY,

Beverly

Old May 16th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Starsong wrote:

At present, the sewing would be for me. Where can I find
simple
patterns for maternity clothes? I'm not pregnant, but
one never know
when children may happen.

http://www.butterick.com/item/B4201....forms&pag e=3

http://www.butterick.com/item/B3403....forms&pag e=3

NAYY,

Beverly

Old May 16th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Starsong, as someone whose measurements are remarkably close to yours, I
would enthusiastically second the recommendation to buy a Wild Ginger
product. They have a maternity software package, several ladies' wear
software packages (standard clothing, knits/lingerie/activewear,
formalwear, and I think the other one is period costuming types of
things) and they also sell (through retailers and not direct) pattern
packages that are substantially less expensive than a full-bore program.

Old May 17th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

My measurements don't fit the usual for women, so I have to modify
patterns or make my own.

You are almost exactly Connie Crawford's size 2x -- you'll need to reshape
the side seams in the waist area to account for your straighter waist.
Easiest way to get a pattern to try is probably through the series she's been
doing for Butterick.
http://www.butterick.com/list/connie_crawford/page-1
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5215....ats_new&page=1
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5222....ats_new&page=2
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5193....dresses&page=3

There are more on her own website: http://www.fashionpatterns.com
I'm not sure why Butterick is using just the sketches on the website -- if
you look in the paper catalog, you can see samples that are actually on models,
and it's easier to visualize the garments for a lot of people.

I believe her plus sample size is a 3x D, about 5'4" tall. That means you're
not going to see the giant shoulders and neckline and other infelicities
induced by grading up a 2x from a 10 with the usual rules. She makes her
patterns twice, once for misses size and once for plus because the proportions
change between those two ranges. Most are fairly basic because she wants
people to be able to

My mom was about your size and the 2x patterns fit her almost out of the
envelope (I had to do some altering for a shoulder issue) Made it very
easy for me to keep her in clothes. I did not have nearly the luck with
most other patterns, other than the ones I drafted especially for her.

Kay

Old May 17th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

ps: Joann Fabrics has Butterick patterns for $2 15-17 May, if you have
one near you. You might try B5215, an easy t shirt for knits for a quick
project, or the shirt from B5053 for wovens.

Not quilting but still sewing question Carissa Quilting 6 September 4th 07 11:50 PM
OT - sewing question Wooly Yarn 4 October 30th 05 07:37 AM
Sewing Machine Question Threaded Needlework 8 February 17th 04 01:22 PM
Sewing Machine Question Threaded Needlework 1 February 16th 04 08:07 PM