sconces and coach lamps

Old March 10th 04, 04:05 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default sconces and coach lamps

Ok... I need to run the wiring tape, and I have no fixtures to test
with. I'll get the fixtures in April.

Now, here are my problems:

1. How do I attach exterior coach lamps?

I know that I'll run the tape around the top of the front door, on the
inside. I also know that I'll have to drill hole(s) (presumably
first) to run the wires for the coach lamps through the exterior wall.
Then what? I'm guessing I can't wallpaper the inside of this room
until the coach lamps are installed on the outside. Is there hardware
to make this easier?

2. How do I attach sconces? Again, I know that I'l run the tape up the
wall, and then I'll wallpaper over it. But how do the sconces attach?

3. Hanging ceiling fixtures: On the first floor it's no biggie. I run
the tape on the floor above, and then when I get the fixtures, I run
them through a hole in the ceiling, then lay the flooring over it.
But what about the second story fixtures? If I run the tape then
paper over it (the fixtures will be at the top of the peak) then how
do I get the fixures through the paper and into the tape - and what
keeps them from falling?

The dollhouse is small - only 9" ceilings, so I'm sticking with
ceiling lamps, rather than dangling chandeliers. Does that make any
difference to ease of installation?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 10th 04, 10:22 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Coach lamps:
I have brick on my house. I ran the coach lamp wire between the brick and
then put mortar over it. If you have siding you can run the wire under the
siding overlap. I ran the wire under the side molding of the front door to
the floor inside and connected it with grommets to tapewire on the floor.
No need to drill holes.

2. Sconces.

Your basic question was how to keep the sconce on the wall. I use superglue
gel - a few dabs. Be careful not to get it on the wires as it can corrode
them. I would do the same with ceiling lights.

I hang sconces with an alternate method as I didn't like the tapewire going
up the wall. Here are the ways I do it.

a) sconce not near anything. Make a vertical groove in the wall running
from the floor to the sconce and put the wire from the sconce in the
groove. Putty over the groove and attach sconce to tapewire. If you are
running tapewire above the baseboard you can attach it at that point.

b) sconce near doors or fireplace. Make a horizontal groove from the sconce
to the door or fireplace. Put wire from sconce in the groove. You can then
run the sconce wire under the door molding or behind the firepace. If the
wire isn't long enough you can extend it with extra wire and shrink tubes or
solder. I use shrink tubes.
Some people run the wire from the sconce through the wall to the room behind
it so that's also a possibility.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com