Design wall .... redux

Old January 29th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Design wall .... redux

There might be a drawback to this one,
Marilyn. If you have a bunch of quilt
pieces on the surface, but need to
access the book case what happens to the
design? WOuld you roll up the shade with
the pieces on it, then roll it out
again? If so, would they stay neat and
in position?
PAT, wondering in chilly Virginia

Marigold wrote:

Thanks for confirming that this could work. I was sure I had seen someone
post about doing this a long time ago. The new house we are hoping to move
to has a wall of bookcases in the loft I plan on using as my space and I was
thinking of a roll up system for a design wall that could pull down over the
bookshelves when needed.
Geez, we don't even own the place yet and already I want to run out and buy
a blind and a sheet!

Patience, Patience...

Marilyn

Old January 29th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

I did a combination - I used foam board like others have mentioned but
attached it 'non-permanently' with hooks on the wall near the ceiling
like you......not that I want to take it down of course!
Allison

frood wrote:
The only time I use pins on my design wall is when I have the design
finalized, and I don't want my "helpers" to rearrange things. Otherwise,
I just stick them up. My design wall is a large piece of Warm & Natural
cotton batting, stapled to a 1"x2" piece of wood, 6' long. This is then
hung by hook and eye, mounted to the ceiling moulding. I thought I might
want to be able to take it down... but that's never happened. ;-P

Wendy

Old January 29th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

Mine do on the bamboo/sheet/pulley string setup. Since it rolls from the
bottom up, it can be raised as much as needed. If it is a large and/or
complex project, I might put a pin in the pieces, parallel to the roll up
bars, but my projects are Very Portable.

Old January 30th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Hmmm... good question
I guess I was thinking that I would be able to just roll it up or even lift
it away from the bookcase, get what I wanted and let it back down.
If the pieces cling fairly well, I'm thinking that rolling it up with pieces
still on shouldn't be too big a problem. Less trouble-some than having to
pick them up off the floor cause the grandchildren are coming, or I'm
feeling guilty for locking the dogs out.
Guess I should just make sure that the books I reference most often are not
behind my design wall!
Thanks for making me think about it.

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

Old January 30th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I stapled fleece to a vinyl shade and I could roll it up with blocks on it
and it worked fine.

Since my stash shelving is now wider than the 72" shade I had, I was going
to make Roman shades using fusible fleece backed with blackout fabric to
cover up my stash and serve as a design wall, but it occurs to me now that I
wouldn't be able to fold it up and hope to keep any blocks on it. Hmmm, back
to the rollup shade. I'm glad I didn't already make them.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old February 1st 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris

My design wall IS a roll up blind, sort of. I bought an empty blind roller
(about $6) and attached a flannel backed tablecloth (another $6) to it (it's
only fairly small). It rolls up and everything stays in place. If anything,
it would get squished more into place by the pressure of the roll of "wall".
--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Pat in Virginia" wrote