Winter

Old November 24th 10, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Winter

On 23/11/2010 00:24, Steven Cook wrote:
Better snow than the freezing rain that we have here. I slid down the
driveway, slid down to the corner, barely able to turn onto the main
subdivision road, and at the next street, one block away, my passenger
bumper had an encounter with a driver-side door as the lady slid through the
stop sign. I ended just enough in the ditch that I couldn't back out, she
in the main road. Nearly an hour later the police hadnt' arrived and with
more traffic and cars sliding past us, her husband and friend pulled me out
and I drove home. They were only a couple blocks from home too. She got
the ticket as it was her fault, but sad really because of all the ice. I
couldn't make it up my driveway so parked in the neighbors temporarily.
Schools amazingly were still open, but I called in sick and said no way was
I braving 32 miles of hills and highways. Now come to find out I swung
around and my back passenger door impacted her rear bumper. Hers is toast
and I can't open my rear door.

Oh bums!

So, after about a dozen phone calls from insurance, police, car rental, etc.
I'm really curious as to what will happen. Her insurance will pay for
repairs, but a ten year old Saturn with 142,000+ miles is only worth about
$500. I know that I will need a new car in the nearer future, but not quite
yet.

Best of luck. My dad had a similar encounter many years ago: he stopped
by the level crossing (railway) part way down the hill, he pointing up.
Train goes by, gates go up, lady appears round bend in other car and
at top of hill, slides downhil almost crabwise into him. Nowhere for
him to go - he'd moved into the hdge when he saw her, and CERTAINLY
wasn't going to try diving over the icy level crossing with her coming
at him totally out of control! He said at the time that the only good
thing about it was that she was doing 5 miles an hour or thereabouts
when he saw her, and only about 15 when she landed in his door!

So, I rested some, sewed some, and plan on burgers on the grill. As Scarlet
said, "Tomorrow is another day," and I'll brave it all then.

Be safe.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Winter Roberta[_3_] Quilting 7 November 30th 10 11:57 PM
Winter Irondale Quilting 1 November 24th 10 12:01 AM
Winter is here. jheller Yarn 1 February 6th 06 06:21 PM