was Banned from the Garden!--very longnowschool

Old July 26th 03, 01:47 AM
Dr. Brat

Tracy wrote:
Oh..............Slippery Rock...I had an old bf that went there....bad
memories...he was a stinker (keeping language mild).

S'ok. I have an old boyfriend who is *dean* there.... LOL!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 28th 03, 03:16 PM
Caryn

By the way, my husband's sister went to Slippery Rock, which I think is a
great
name for a college. Too bad they didn't have a college in their home town:
Mars.

I think my favorite college name is Transylvania University in Kentucky!

I really want a sweatshirt from there! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old July 28th 03, 03:25 PM
Dr. Brat

Caryn wrote:
By the way, my husband's sister went to Slippery Rock, which I think is a
great
name for a college. Too bad they didn't have a college in their home town:
Mars.

I think my favorite college name is Transylvania University in Kentucky!

I really want a sweatshirt from there! lol

I like Undue Purversity, myself.

Elizabeth (IU grad)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 28th 03, 03:47 PM
fishnstitch

Caryn wrote:

By the way, my husband's sister went to Slippery Rock, which I think is a
great
name for a college. Too bad they didn't have a college in their home town:
Mars.

I think my favorite college name is Transylvania University in Kentucky!

I used to have a sweatshirt promoting the Toadsuck (Arkansas) Orchestra. Really
wish it hadn't shrunk...

Karen E.
--
_______________________________________
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example"

Old July 28th 03, 08:28 PM
Brenda Lewis

There were shirts available in the mid-80's with crests for "Drunken
State" and "Catatonic State" and possibly others. I've outgrown mine
and then some. Does anyone know if those are still available?

I used to collect sweatshirts from all the [real] universities I
visited. After working for a couple of universities I got tired of it.
Wonder what happened to my old shirts?

Caryn wrote:
I think my favorite college name is Transylvania University in Kentucky!

I really want a sweatshirt from there! lol

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs
J & P Coats "Dancing Snoopy" latchhook

Old July 29th 03, 09:09 PM
Ellice

On 7/24/03 10:24 AM,"Dawne Peterson" posted:

"Ellice" wrote
that's a school where the football team is named for fabric (the
Tartans). I mean really, how can you be worried about the fighting
plaids?

My kids attended a high school (Campbell Collegiate) where the teams are
also called the Tartans (the Campbell Tartans). Since many schools use a
different more girly name for their women's teams, I suggested the Campbell
Tarts. With, of course, a nice little buttertart on the jersey. Now DD is
teaching there I may have to resume my campaign.
Dawne

LOL - go for it. The band, the Marching Kilties. Just too funny. On some
sunny afternoons, we'd leave the dungeon in which we grad slaves, er
students, toiled away, and wander across campus. It was just good fun to
watch the Fighting Plaids cheered on by the Marching Kilties (serious). You
should see our hoods - purple & orange - with some lovely Carnegie Plaid.

ellice

Old July 29th 03, 09:11 PM
Ellice

On 7/24/03 4:37 PM,"Caryn" posted:

A friend of ours went to school in the US
on a swim scholarship to a place called "Slippery Rock University" - he
didn't live it down for MONTHS LOL! ~

Slippery Rock is actually a very nice college. It's a State University in
Pennsylvania, I've visted the campus several times and really liked it there.
They didn't have my major, tho.

It is pretty nice. Of course, the worst one, which David Letterman has kept
infamous - Ball State University VBG

ellice

Old July 29th 03, 09:57 PM
Caryn

It is pretty nice. Of course, the worst one, which David Letterman has kept
infamous - Ball State University VBG

I think Kent plays Ball State.....

Old July 30th 03, 02:30 AM
Dawne Peterson

"Ellice" wrote :

You should see our hoods - purple & orange - with some lovely Carnegie

Plaid.

That would really make all the years of work to earn your degree
worthwhile. I have a DF who has instructed me to have her buried in her
Oxford academic regalia. If I had a purple and orange with plaid hood,
there would be no question....
Dawne

Old July 31st 03, 05:26 PM
Ellice

On 7/29/03 9:30 PM,"Dawne Peterson" posted:

"Ellice" wrote :

You should see our hoods - purple & orange - with some lovely Carnegie

Plaid.

That would really make all the years of work to earn your degree
worthwhile. I have a DF who has instructed me to have her buried in her
Oxford academic regalia. If I had a purple and orange with plaid hood,
there would be no question....
Dawne

Well, amongst my DFs we have quite the collection. XDH wanted to use them
for halloween. But, since only one of my DFs is an academic, she's the only
one who wears hers. All the kids would love it if we'd bring them to one
house, so they could play with them.

Oxford regalia is very nice. So distinctive. When I was an undergrad, there
was a new president of the University inducted - it was awesome. The most
pomp and circumstance you ever see - far more than for graduation.

OTOH, from the mech eng dept in my years, almost all of us hated the dept.
Well, truthfully, at least in the major area I was in. They were nut cases.
At one point we had a grad student meeting with the Dean of the College -
who couldn't understand why the normally sane Mech Eng dept had now become
the crazies. My crazy nervous breakdown having sex with undergrads on his
desk whether or not he'd been drinking chain smoking lied on his resume
computer equipment stealing advisor (yes, and one of my work-study students
caught him) . And did I mention he was youngish & German. You'll understand
the relevance. Then there was the chaired prof, in same area of
concentration, little guy, Oxford degree, Israeli by way of South Africa,
came to US after being in UK for a long time who it turned out had
plagiarized major sections of a text book which he'd written - with articles
from a journal he edited and who hadn't done any real work in about 20
years? Oh, and did the grad students not find the plagiarized stuff - and
then send our delegate to the dept chairman "it's not so bad" . Topped by me
finding out thru UK connection that he couldn't possibly have a prestige
position back there, because they knew him - had a way of basically causing
discord in the dept, and putting his name on work that he didn't even advise
the student on. And then, there was the fist fight - at a large, pretigious,
sponsored technical conference. Yup, it's a delightful story - prefaced by
the little guy calling the sponsor when the big guy had just come back from
his disappearance, and was in the local psyche ward. Dept chair had arranged
to postpone a visit while we slaves try to straighten things out. Little
trouble calls sponsor and tells him the big German guy is out of his gourd.
Sponsor comes in about 6 weeks. Advisor still nutz. Proceeds to arrange such
that while we demo our experiment set-up, sponsor gets blasted by the
equivalent of a jet engine exhaust, and goes sliding on floor 100' in lab.
Do you think he gave us more money. Then, months later, at conference - guys
from another U that we know come up to me and some other students "hey,
aren't you the students with so & so? Well, they're having a fight out by
the coffee. Indeed, there they were - the big German idiot holding off the
little guy - at end of outstretched arm, with hand on head. Little guy
swinging and missing - can't reach. Big guy calling anti-semitic names.
Little guy calling anti-german, and mostly anti- the idiot names. Lovely,
eh.

The tales do go on. When I moved to DC and was working, taking some classes
at UMD (more post grad stuff). A friend, older, pretty famous, working at
another lab - calls to tell me that the idiot German has been hired - even
though she told them not to - at the U MD. I couldn't believe it. Like the
nightmare of my life. Of course, he got fired at the end of the year - and
everyone who took his heat transfer course (he knew nothing) had to retake
it. Then my practically best friend, 2 months before his defense, the little
guy tells him that since it's mostly computational, and he doesn't really
understand it, well, he can't be the head of his committee.

So, even though the hoods are great, we have what is fondly called the
"F-**U" reunions at many conferences. I think 3 years after leaving,
finishing, I was at a conference and the former Dept Chair (who had been my
then DH's advisor - and left - 2 months before graduation) now Dean at
another U, came over to me and "Apologized" for the fiasco of that
especially horrid 18 months. Another guy apologized for having provided a
reference which helped the terror get hired. Many of my classmates are now
profs, and do work that is all related, so we get to go to conferences and
hook up. Believe me, when I say much wine and beer goes down at our
gatherings.

But they are great, vibrant hoods. Whew. So, now you know - think I ought to
write a story? Who'd believe it?

ellice