any resonable metalsmith class for beginners -NYC?

Old January 13th 05, 05:09 AM
gemstud

Default any resonable metalsmith class for beginners -NYC?

really looking for an informative metalsmithing class in Manhattan that
is reasonable in price, not the cost of college course.

Please contact me with any information, the closest I have found is at
92nd St Y and is approx. 400.00 - ouch

Old January 14th 05, 04:28 AM
ted.ffrater

gemstud wrote:
really looking for an informative metalsmithing class in Manhattan that
is reasonable in price, not the cost of college course.

Please contact me with any information, the closest I have found is at
92nd St Y and is approx. 400.00 - ouch

It all depends on what your getting for your $400.00
Can you be more specific?
how many hours do you get for that?
what facilities are there?
what kind of metal smithing is is you want to learn?
who is doing the teaching ?

Ask your self if you were offering a course
what would you have to put up front in Manhattan?
Premises, all the costs rental power insurance etc
benches tools gas materials equipment
for a say 5 pupilc set up.
Then Advertising a course
before you even had a taker for your class.
The $400.00 you quoted could be very good value.
Ask them for some referals on on the cousre.
and see what they say ,
Old January 14th 05, 04:22 PM
Marc

gemstud wrote:
really looking for an informative metalsmithing class in Manhattan that
is reasonable in price, not the cost of college course.

Please contact me with any information, the closest I have found is at
92nd St Y and is approx. 400.00 - ouch

You get what you pay for.
Check into a entry level polishing job, with a promise to advance.
Even then you will do a lot of polishing before you pick up a torch.
Just my $.02
( I learned the basics 12 yrs ago $4,000, 3 nights a week, 3 hrs a
night, for 4 months ) and I knew just enough to be real dangerous to a
jewelry shop.
Aye
Mark
Old January 29th 05, 03:57 AM
gemstud

hi, a belated thanks for your reality check response. What has been
somewhat confusing for me is that this particular class of one day,
five hours. I did find the one at the Y that was slightly lower, and
it runs for six weeks, THat's the huge difference. I imagine there is
such a surge is metalsmithing/jewelry making that there is a sense of
weeding out the newbies that won't stick with it, but darned if I'm
investing, I must be passionate in what I want to advance in. Im
checking in to CUNY as have an affiliation at Hunter, and hoping for a
reasonable tuition if possible. I am aware now of the intesity of
knowledge base for metalsmithing, after much research and online
investigoogling. The other class was downtown for same price - only the
one day mini-workshop. that's not doable for the cost breakdown.
thanks again, I'll check in here more often....
regards, Todd

Old January 30th 05, 10:05 AM
Contrarian

gemstud wrote:
hi, a belated thanks for your reality check response. What has been
somewhat confusing for me is that this particular class of one day,
five hours. I did find the one at the Y that was slightly lower, and
it runs for six weeks, THat's the huge difference.

this "info" is not much help, but I've seen flyers in
the Brooklyn Heights area this fall for introductory
classes at about that price ($400.00 USD) that were not
one-day workshops. no promises, but I'll try to post
more details if I see it again

Classes? DreamBeadr Beads 32 June 18th 04 05:10 PM
STORY - Middle School Engineering Class roxan Beads 1 June 10th 04 06:39 AM
electrum Pierdas Jewelry 4 April 25th 04 09:04 PM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM
Checking in and glass class report. KDK Beads 10 August 23rd 03 05:53 AM