Price of Rods

Old January 31st 04, 08:22 AM
meijhana

Default Price of Rods

I wanted to know if these sound about right. I can't find my catalogs (I
know I have one at least from Arrow Springs), so wanted to know if these are
"okay" prices. I know they won't compare to the store, but I am hoping that
they are within like a $1 a pound...

one seller sells 1# of rods (by single color) for $7.35. He says $6.00 for
shipping for the first pound, and $2.00 extra for each additional pound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1
this one has 60 rods, 10" long. Postage calculator says approx $7.15 for
postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1
this one has 60 rods, 13", "exact" shipping.

On those 2...are those prices "good" or what is the max I should bid, if I
did?

I am assuming that 60 rods is around 3 lbs?

And what is Vetrofond? Is it a different make of Moretti? Can it mix with
"regular" or would I have to be careful (like the opalines?)

I guess perhaps I should be asking what does glass go for about for 1 lb.
Without the bulk buys or $100+ buys price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=47 70
seem okay?

what about these dichroic? Moretti compatible? Should I try it yet, or
wait a while, cuz I am assuming it's hard to work with?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=47 70

Sorry...I am a little freaky, since it's been almost a year since I have sat
at the torch...:-)

Mary

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.

Old January 31st 04, 08:43 AM
starlia

Mary,

Those prices seem okay. $7 for shipping is about normal for up to or more
than 3 pounds. If I am shopping for smaller amounts of glass I go to
islandglass!!! on eBay. Bill is a great seller and ships super fast. He
sells stock from 1/4 pound to 1 pound lots. I can't recommend him highly
enough. Bill sells Moretti and Vetrofond (also called Murano) glass. Bill
never has overcharged me on shipping either.

One time he sent a pound of yellow to a friends house. It was broken in
tiny pieces. He replaced it the next day and came two days later. His
customer service is exceptional. He also lets me pester him about colors
I'm looking for.

I also order from Frantz, but I don't always need a pound of any one color
unless it's black, white, or Lauscha clear. I think their shipping is too
much for the little I order. That's why I usually order from Bill.

Vetrofond is another company that split from Moretti. The glasses are
compatible.

The price on glass depends on colors. Some colors average $10 a pound and
some go up to $50 a pound. Usually my favorite colors are in the $50 a
pound range. I use the expensive glass sparingly or use Moretti clear as a
base and build my bead with the expensive colors.

If you are just starting out with beads, hold off on dichroic. Don't get
those little Moretti rods because they will burn up in the flame and give
you a mess. The price of 1/4" wide strips are too much in my opinion. I
can send you some dichro to play with if you send me you address by email.

Starlia
--
Saucy Lampwork Beads
http://stores.ebay.com/saucylampworkbeads

Old January 31st 04, 09:54 AM
Cheryl

I wanted to know if these sound about right. I can't find my catalogs (I
know I have one at least from Arrow Springs), so wanted to know if these are
"okay" prices. I know they won't compare to the store, but I am hoping that
they are within like a $1 a pound...

you can't tell - without knowing the WEIGHT of the total.

REMEMBER 10 inch rods are SHORT...
these are merely "samples" when it comes down to it.
his other auction is 13 Inch rods

well - I think you can compare them to the collection sets at Arrow Springs.

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/eff...sortments.html

based on that - it appears his price is pretty reasonable...

Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old February 3rd 04, 07:41 AM
Kalera Stratton

That shipping sounds high... but it really depends on how far it has to
travel. I generally expect to pay $6-8 per pound, if it's a "regular"
color, and I order from Frantz, which is only a few hundred miles away
so the shipping is CHEAP. (Like, five bucks to ship ten pounds... and it
arrives no more than three working days after I place my order, unless
there's a snowstorm!)

Based on this, I think that you are probably best served, price-wise, by
finding the vendor closest to you, so you can save on shipping and get
your order fast.

-Kalera

meijhana wrote:

[...]

ad:HUGE HALF PRICE SALE!!! ALL AUCTIONS SLASHED 50% Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 7 January 21st 04 07:07 PM
Price question JL Amerson Beads 13 November 6th 03 07:01 AM
OT sorta - need Lauscha Opaque Purple glass rods.... Kandice Seeber Beads 21 October 21st 03 09:27 AM
Check out the price on this auction! Tink Beads 7 July 18th 03 10:57 PM
Ad: Furnace Glass at a great price! Paula Hunter Beads 3 July 3rd 03 04:33 PM