canopy

Old April 28th 05, 12:22 AM
Momzilla

Default canopy

I need to buy an Exhibition Canopy for doing the Art Fairs. Anyone have
advice on a good brand and a supplier?
Also, any advice about stabilizing the canopy much appreciated. I'm in the
Chicago area so high winds are expected.
Thanks in advance
-nancy-

Old April 28th 05, 02:50 AM

those EZ-Up brands are the best. i have yet to get one of theirs, but
it certainly is the best that i've seen on the market.

~ meanwhile, the EZ-Up people released a weaker & cheaper version a few
years back so make sure you look at their top-of-the-line version.

they can be acquired with zippered curtains to close up the booth
overnight for 2nd day shows. they set up & tear down fast!

as far as wind goes, i've seen milk jugs with water, cinder blocks, and
other weights used to keep canopy's down. ~ but that really doesn't
work well for strong winds. use a LONG tent steak along with these
other methods.

see ya

steve

Old April 28th 05, 11:20 PM
Momzilla

wrote in message
oups.com...
those EZ-Up brands are the best. i have yet to get one of theirs, but
it certainly is the best that i've seen on the market.

~ meanwhile, the EZ-Up people released a weaker & cheaper version a few
years back so make sure you look at their top-of-the-line version.

they can be acquired with zippered curtains to close up the booth
overnight for 2nd day shows. they set up & tear down fast!

as far as wind goes, i've seen milk jugs with water, cinder blocks, and
other weights used to keep canopy's down. ~ but that really doesn't
work well for strong winds. use a LONG tent steak along with these
other methods.

see ya

steve

Thanks Steve,
I hear great things about the E-Z up. I'm looking at the ExpressII
http://ezupdirect.com/ezup-instant-s...s/express2.php with the
sidewalls.
-nancy-

Old May 1st 05, 04:34 PM
Momzilla

wrote in message
oups.com...
those EZ-Up brands are the best. i have yet to get one of theirs, but
it certainly is the best that i've seen on the market.

~ meanwhile, the EZ-Up people released a weaker & cheaper version a few
years back so make sure you look at their top-of-the-line version.

they can be acquired with zippered curtains to close up the booth
overnight for 2nd day shows. they set up & tear down fast!

as far as wind goes, i've seen milk jugs with water, cinder blocks, and
other weights used to keep canopy's down. ~ but that really doesn't
work well for strong winds. use a LONG tent steak along with these
other methods.

see ya

steve

One more question. How do you stake a canopy when your on pavement? I've
seen some people drill right into the pavement but as a taxpayer I cringe at
this.

Thanks
-nancy-

Old May 1st 05, 05:34 PM
Momzilla

"Momzilla" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm cringing again over my spelling error.
"how do you stake a canopy when you are on pavement"
not "when your on pavement"
-nancy-

Old May 1st 05, 06:04 PM

i don't think you can steak (stake?) into pavement. i think blocks are
about all you can do.

possibly, a table full of pottery attached to the posts will be enough
ot hold everything down?

unless you sell out!

see ya

steve

Old May 1st 05, 10:31 PM
Momzilla

wrote in message
oups.com...
i don't think you can steak (stake?) into pavement. i think blocks are
about all you can do.

possibly, a table full of pottery attached to the posts will be enough
ot hold everything down?

unless you sell out!

see ya

steve

I re-checked my spellings and I never attempted to "steak" anything. I
correctly attempted to "stake"
Do have to keep and eye on the spell check corrections though.

I don't plan to use tables, I have my old display shelves and I'm making
some new pedestals. Looks like I'll be dragging around cinder blocks.

Selling out at an Art Fair is my kind of 'sell out" May I be so fortunate.

-nancy-

Old May 4th 05, 02:03 PM
griz

Steve Mills wrote:

In your shoes I would make space in the conservatory, I store clay
outside (under a small plastic tarpaulin) and bring it in when I want to
use it, also I have stored mixed glazes outside in plastic buckets with
lids. These things can be re-constituted if need be, a Kiln with
accumulated damp in its electrical components will not!
The soft brick used in these Kilns absorb water like a sponge from the
atmosphere.
I have stored a gas kiln outside (under a Tarp), which was OK provided I
spent time drying it out! the one time I didn't dry it out properly I
got a series of small but destructive explosions inside it which ruined
several pieces inside it.
Don't leave it outside in the UK, put it in the conservatory!

Steve
Bath
UK

First of all thanks to all that replied, it's really appreciated.

Steve, you kind of confirmed some of my fears - sounds too risky to keep it
outside. Even if I had a large enough area that I could cover with a roof,
the dampness could cause damage - I wondered about the controller, which
Bob Masta mentioned, I didn't even think about the bricks absorbing
water...

I thought the shed idea was very good, again, unfortunately no space for
one.

So last week I had resolved it had to be stored in the conservatory, that
was until I realised the kiln was not going to go through one internal door
in my flat!!!

Luckily, we called a friend to help with the move and he had a
garage/lockup available, so that's were I stored it - it's dry and secure
so it will do for the moment.

many thanks again

In article , griz
writes
Hi
I have to move from premises I'm currently in and have to store my electric
kiln at home.
It's a toploading electric kiln with controller etc. I'm terribly short of
space, I live in a small flat in London - I could store it in a small
conservatory in the garden, but I would rather not, it's already full of
ceramics stuff (glazes, clay, tools etc).

I was wondering if I can put it outside with some kind of protection from
the weather. Would the elements rust or the controller or the outer metal
jacket get damaged? Do I need tarpauling or a box / roof? I remember
reading some people in US having the kiln in their porch, ie outside, but
obviously not rained on.

I'm really upset that I wont be able to fire it for the foreseable future,
I can't see how I could connect it and use it at home. The very thick
cable used to connect it cost a fortune when I installed it, and we kept it
very near the meter to keep the cost down, I don't think it could be done
at the flat. In any case, could you connect an electric kiln outside if
you had proper shelter?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Griz

Old May 4th 05, 04:29 PM
Charles Spitzer

"griz" wrote in message
Steve Mills wrote:

[...]

a controller is a computer that has a non-waterproof box around it. would
you store your pc outside?

Old May 4th 05, 07:15 PM
Steve Mills

In article , griz
writes

[...]

That is an excellent solution to a knotty problem.
Well done.

Steve

--
Steve Mills
Bath

Monkey's Fists have skydiving applications!!! Jeffrey Knots 1 February 6th 04 07:54 PM
Canopy Bed Drapes? KittyG Quilting 18 December 1st 03 08:26 PM
Canopy bed drapes. CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 December 1st 03 12:57 PM
Erecting a canopy tent ranmcc General Crafting 0 September 20th 03 08:00 PM