How did you get started? Share your stories, please!

Old January 8th 04, 07:58 PM
eliquint

Default How did you get started? Share your stories, please!

How did you get started? Share your stories, please!

Hi all,
I am Ms. Eli Quin my Studio name is "eliquint designs". I started in
polymer clay in late 1999, after watching so many of the terrific artists
work with it there. I didn't have much confidence that I could really do
anything more then basic beads, but soon found out I seemed to be a natural
at sculpting. WOW Love at first touch! The funny thing is that of all the
arts, sculpting had always been the thing that I was least interested in.
So to find out that I could actually do it and was pretty good at it, came
as a very welcome surprise. I am still in the "lets try this one stage of
learning, and have a zillion projects in my ticker file to do". LOL But
have found that I enjoy doing Saint Nicholas statues best so far. I
absolutely hate doing armatures, but have learned to do it anyway.
I have no formal art training and so far am completely self taught.
Although I have tons of books, tapes and instruction manuals. Also of
course is this newsgroup! Yall have been an immense source of information
and help, which I humbly appreciate.
I love the feel of the soft clays, but usually use premo for my statues. It
seems to hold it shapes better for me.
I refer to myself as being "polymerized"! LOL
Unfortunately I do not have a webpage but would be happy to e-mail pics to
anyone who is interested in seeing my work. I always appreciate criticism
from other artists, it's been a fabulous learning process.

So what's your story??

Ms. Eli Quin (pronounced Ellie)

Old January 9th 04, 08:26 PM
Lily

"eliquint" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Hi Eli,

I've loved clay since I was a child. My maternal grandmother was an
artisan & had her own kiln. So I guess that's how I really got started
in clay.
My love of polymer clays began the first time I saw a crafts show on
TV. I was reminded of my childhood love of clay & had to go for it. I
began with Fimo. My first project was a pair of plum pudding earrings
like those I currently have on ebay. I progressed to barrettes,
necklaces, beads, pins, whatever I wanted to do.
Of course, Fimo is a bit heavy. So I added Sculpey to my clay
collection. And Paperclay. I enjoy trying different types of clay &
discovering their personalities & textures.
I have my own website which I consider a work in progress. You wuill
see I work with many different items. But my polymer clay items will
always be my favorites.

http://moodyblue19.tripod.com

Lily
Old January 13th 04, 03:34 AM
dawn

Aren't there some free sites out there where you could post your works for
all of us to see? Maybe some of you who use these sites could tells her
where to go.

Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html