Latest sculptures on Ebay

Old January 7th 04, 02:07 PM
VanderSandra

snip
Those are terrific little pups, but have pity on the rest of us who sculpt
for a living -- set a higher base price.

Katherine Dewey
Snip

I've tried that and maybe it was because it was when I just started, but I
didn't get any bids. I might be able to raise it now that I have the attention
of some of the Yorkie buyers now, but I would appreciate your feedback or
suggestions about this.
Sandra

Old January 7th 04, 03:22 PM
VanderSandra

snip
Those are terrific little pups, but have pity on the rest of us who sculpt
for a living -- set a higher base price.
Katherine Dewey
Snip

I've tried that and maybe it was because it was when I began offering sculpture
on Ebay, but I didn't get ANY bids. I might be able to raise it now that I have
the attention
of some of the Yorkie buyers now, but I don't want to run off the customers
that have finally noticed my work exists. Think I should just flat out say
something in the listing about why I'm raising the prices? I would appreciate
your feedback / suggestions about this.
Sandra
http://tinyurl.com/27u72

Old January 7th 04, 10:44 PM
eliquint

Hi All,

Sandra, GREAT WORK!! Love it, Love it, Love it!!

This is how I learned to price my work after meeting and quizzing 100's of
artist's at all the art/craft festivals I visited through the years.

1. Keep it simple. Very simple!
2. Remember, from the day we are born we are each allotted a certain amount
of time on this earth. Once we have used an hour of our time we can never
get that hour back. So try to make the most of the time you have here on
earth. Value yourself, and so will others.
3. Think of how much you believe your time is worth. Base this on you
needs and skill level.
Beginners are usually paid, at a lower pay rate then veterans on the job.
So as your skill level increases so should your prices. Don't be afraid to
give yourself a raise, you worked hard for it and deserve it.
4. Are you going to be making your entire income from this craft/art or is
it just basically a part-time job, leisure activity etc. Think, if I'm
going to take a part-time job to supplement my income how much would I
expect to make per hour at the minimum, maximum then use the middle of the
road amount of those two figures. Personally, I would expect min. $5.00 per
hour, max. $15.00 so I charge $10.00 per hour for my work. Since I am
fairly new to sculpting ( 3 yrs.) and have absolutely no formal training,
unless you consider the Carol Duval show training, my leisure time is not
worth as much as someone who has been sculpting for say 10-15 or even 20
yrs. And possibly has a degree in Art & Design etc.
5. Do a lot of market research, ask other artists in your media form how
they price their products and why?? Look at the prices that other artists
in your specific area of expertise are asking for similar works. Art
festival, craft fairs, EBay, Yahoo auctions & news forums are great ways to
meet the artists. Human nature is such that almost all humans enjoy talking
about their accomplishments, trials etc.
6. One of a kind art is much more valuable then the cottage industry stuff.
If you're going to mass produce say 100 of the same thing, it should be more
reasonably priced. Unless of course it's a limited edition signed, dated &
numbered series, then a bit more is reasonable. Like limited edition
poster, painting prints, dolls etc.
One of a kinds are of course my favorites, and sometimes our happy accidents
are so nearly impossible to replicate anyway. LOL You've all been there,
after you finish a piece and someone asks you to make one just like it for
them. You'll sit there and say to yourself, "now how did I do that again??"
I guess because I "play" with clay, I never bother to record any of my so
called recipes.
7. ALWAYS ask more for your product then you expect to get for it, you can
always lower the price if the buyer bulks at the higher price, but you can
never raise that original price after it's set. But don't just tell the
buyer immediately you will lower the price and never throw out a figure to
them. Ask them how much they are willing to pay, lots of times, the buyer
will give you a higher price then you would have told them. If they want it
for say 1/2 price, then give them your 1st best price. NOT your absolute
bottom line price. You can at this time employ some marketing techniques,
like reminding them that this is a one of a kind piece. I sell my one of a
kinds with a certificate of authenticity, signed and dated by myself. Or you
don't mind lowering the price a little, but after all you are selling to
make some profit. Most buyers understand that way of thinking. Don't be
afraid to let the buyer walk away, if they are really interested they will
come back. If they don't come back, then the next interested buyer may pay
full price no questions asked. Think of all the yard sales, garage sales
you've probably visited. Good buyers never pay full price and good sellers
learn to negotiate. It is true, "one man's trash is another man's treasure"
7. Explain the process, most none artsy folks don't have a clue how long it
takes to make a product. Explaining the process to them has worked so many
times for me, I can't count them all. Buyers then understand this didn't
just take 10 minutes to make, they realize the value better and are usually
more willing to pay the higher price. I have even explained the "from the
day we are born we are each allotted a certain amount of time on this earth.
Once we have used an hour of our time we can never get that hour back"
theory to buyers. It's simple, it makes sense & buyers do understand!
8. The buying public is extremely fickle. Example: Furbies, remember
those little talking toys from a few years back? I paid $60 dollars each
for mine, but today I couldn't give them away.
Same thing with Beanie Babies, Talking Elmo or was that Tickle Me Elmo? You
get the idea!
What sells today may not sell tomorrow and vice versa.
9. My formula for pricing is as follows:
One of a kinds or Limited edition series = $10 per hour times number of
hours to make. (Proto types always take the longest to make, so I adjust
their price down to the average hours I figure it will take to make another
similar piece.)
Cottage industry stuff = $10.00 per hour times the number of hours to make
all, say 100 of the items plus the cost of the materials to make them,
divided by the number of items made.
i.e. - $10.00 x 10 hours = $100.00 + $200.00 materials = $300.00 divided by
100 items made =
$3.00 per item. This would be my minimum price for those items.
10. Repeat customers, I do give discounts to my repeat customers and for
customers who refer their friends and family to me. They deserve a little
"lagniappe" (little something extra) after all they are giving me free
advertising, and any good marketing person will tell you word of mouth
advertising is the absolute best way to advertise.

"Think I should just flat out say something in the listing about why I'm
raising the prices?"
Nope, only if they specifically ask. If the customer likes your work, they
will pay the extra.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps you.
Ms. Eli Quin

Old January 8th 04, 12:07 AM
Jeanne Rhea

Lots of good points and I understand the reasoning behind all except this
one....

Ask them how much they are willing to pay, lots of times, the buyer
will give you a higher price then you would have told them.

I think this devalues what you are selling. This practice even irks me at a
flea market or garage sale. If you do not know how much your product is
worth, then don't ask me to tell you. I hate it when I ask how much
something is and the response is "How much will you pay me?" I very often
tell them that not as much as they are hoping and that they alone know how
much they paid for it, (the materials), the time spent to refurbish or make
it to sell and what their overhead is. Asking the customer how much he
will pay can also give the customer the idea that now since you know he is
interested, that you will take every dime you can get. Another reason I hate
it when people do not price their merchandise. That way, they can "read"
instantly that I am interested and can up the price. Just a pet peeve of
mine.

Thanks for making the list from your experiences!
Jeanne
http://www.heartofclay.com
eBay auctions
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/vintagenet2/

&

Old January 8th 04, 01:27 AM
eliquint

Oh yes, I see what you mean! I am however a lot more diplomatic then just
blurting out "How mcuh are you willing to pay" like I wrote, becos I was
trying to hurry up. More often then not, I would be diplomatic enough to
1st explain the process then ask more like: Now that you understand how the
item is made is the price more justified? Usual response is either "I had
no idea how much work was involved or No, but I would give you $x for it.
At which point, I can then counter their offer. Talking to the customer is
usually a good indicator of if I should even use this approach. It's only a
technique, it's doesn't have to be used.

I guess using yard sales may not have been a good comparison, since yard
sale stuff is no longer my treasure and of course my art work is my
treasure.
Can't tell you how many times I have gotten a yard sale treasure for much
less then I would have paid for it, b/cos the seller dropped the price
drastically after my initial request for "your best price".

Yes, I know what you mean about items not being priced too. It is also one
of my pet peeves.

"Asking the customer how much he will pay can also give the customer the
idea that now since you know he is interested, that you will take every dime
you can get."
I thought that was the whole idea behind selling for a profit, trying to
make as much money as possible on your products! I always sort of assumed
that the buyers already understood that issue. But you have given me a new
prospective on that & one I will definitely keep in mind in the future.
Thanks,
Ms. Eli Quin

r.com...

Old January 8th 04, 02:40 AM
Jeanne Rhea

Yep, the idea is to make as much as we can and I have sold things that I was
attached to for far more than I ever dreamed someone would pay. Still I did
not set the price based on what I thought they could pay---but on what I
thought my work was worth (even if at the moment I was so emotionally
attached that it was more than I would have ever asked if I had just counted
my time, expenses, materials, etc.) I tend to decide what I make is worth
a little differently than most artists, but so far my methods have worked
for me.

I completely understand the part about the yard sale thing. Sometimes I
can't believe what I hear when I ask for the best price and they say
something ridiculously low. I just bought 285 pieces of leather samples 18"
square for $10. Even a sample of any material would be way more than that.
No price was on the stack and so I asked what the best price was and she
said, "Well, I was trying for $100 but I am so sick of hauling these things
in and out so $10 and they are yours." By the time I got them to the car, I
knew exactly what she was talking about!

Thanks again for the post---good things to think about!

Old January 10th 04, 06:53 PM
Katherine Dewey

I don't use Ebay, so I'm not sure what to say save that your work is worth
more. I'd advise you to set the price you want, not the price that assures a
sale. Eventually the right customer will bid.

Katherine Dewey