EXCEL Formula

Old April 21st 11, 05:10 PM
Gerry Neuroth Gerry Neuroth is offline
Junior Member

Location: Le Mars, IA
Question EXCEL Formula

I just found out there is an Excel formula for Flynn backing. Would someone PLEASE send this to me. First time ever to use this.
Old April 21st 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JustGail

Default EXCEL Formula

--
Gerry Neuroth

http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/2209997-Quilt-Backs-
Old April 22nd 11, 01:56 PM
Gerry Neuroth Gerry Neuroth is offline
Junior Member

Location: Le Mars, IA

Thank You so much for an answer and now all I need to do is plug in my numbers on EXCEL. Think I will love this site. --

Gerry Neuroth[/i][/color]

http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/2209997-Quilt-Backs-[/quote]
Old April 22nd 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I've just had a try with this, and the formula to put in your
spreadsheet runs:

LF=(LQ)+LQ*(WQ-WF)/(2*WF)-WQ

The brackets are in the wrong place in the website formula.

Nel
(GQ)
Old April 22nd 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

That seems like a lot of work. For my own purposes, I'll just wing it!
Chop off a diagonal and shift the pieces and see what happens. I love an
adventure! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in wet, stormy MO.

Old April 22nd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

"Sartorresartus" wrote in message
I've just had a try with this, and the formula to put in your
spreadsheet runs:

LF=(LQ)+LQ*(WQ-WF)/(2*WF)-WQ

I am sorry. I am at a loss as to why a spreadsheet would be needed for that
simple formula. I guess I don't understand why a formula is needed at all.
I just make the front, measure it, then either cut or make (if the fabric I
have isn't wide/long enough) a piece of backing that will fit the front.
Though I usually plan out my block size so that the width I have is the
width I need. Quilts were being made long before spreadsheets were even
available.

Brian Christiansen

Old April 22nd 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

There is absolutely no need for anything if it is of no use to you.

But the question was asked, so an answer was given.

The diagonal cut has some advantages, and can be used where fabric is
a little short of that which would be needed if bought for the
occasion. I have never used this myself, but I could see its use with
those who make a great many. Also it can be useful to have a diagonal
join instead of a vertical one if the fabric is too narrow to use in
one piece. There are other ways of joining, according to preference,
of course. Some like a central join, some like full with in the
middle and a half width on each edge. It depends, as always, what and
who and why.

The spreadsheet is a bit of fun, otherwise, but could well be of
assistance if a quilt is being designed to fit, most economically, a
certain piece of fabric. Many calculations can be prepared and a
decision made. Even a ready reckoner could be achieved and saved for
future use.

And, though the maths may be fairly simple, it might not be to all
people. And why steam the brain when it can be done with a gadget?
Why else would there be a calculator made specifically for quilters?
Because then there is a choice. That is all; no higher purpose. And
sometimes, life can be too short to spend time fathoming out something
from first principles when someone else has ploughed the same furrow
already.

I spent altogether too much time working out, with pi, what diameter
my finger was, last week. Yes, I'm sad that way...

And, certainly, it is sometimes easy to make a design to fit the
fabric, and other times the fabric needs to fit the design.

TANQP. You are welcome to use whatever method you like. And it will
be the right one.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old April 23rd 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

That's what I usually do too, Brian, but I once had a top that was
just a few inches too wide for the *perfect* backing. So this method
worked great! Makes an almost-wide-enough piece usable, and the
diagonal seam is far less obvious (unless your backing has stripes).
Roberta in D