Painting Mailbox

Old April 11th 04, 11:22 PM
DixieSugar

Default Painting Mailbox

What kind of paint would I use to paint a design on a metal mailbox that is
exposed to the weather?

Thx

Dixie Belle

Old April 22nd 04, 08:09 AM
Jo

plaid do an outdoor paint specially for metal. But you could also use their
normal outdoor paint which is called patio paint and just put a few coats of
sealer on top of it.

hugs,
Joanne

Old April 22nd 04, 02:17 PM
Sharon

What kind of paint would I use to paint a design on a metal mailbox that

is
exposed to the weather?

My daughter painted a mailbox about 5 years ago. She
just used regular acrylic paints and then sprayed it with Krylon
Clear Coat and it still looks great!!
HTH
Sharon

Old April 23rd 04, 01:09 AM
RonzNews - West

Hi Sharon

The Krylon works well.

I've switched to a Rust-Oeum spray laquer. I like it for the high gloss
finish. I've got acrylic painted flower pots outdoors that are 2 years old
and look fine.

....Ron

Home of RonzClocks, Unique Multi-CD Clocks
http://home.earthlink.net/~rondav/

Old April 23rd 04, 03:02 PM
Sharon

The Krylon works well.

I've switched to a Rust-Oeum spray laquer. I like it for the high gloss
finish. I've got acrylic painted flower pots outdoors that are 2 years

old
and look fine.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give this a try.....never thought of using
something like this on my clay pots.....I'll have to give that a try!
Thanks again
Sharon

Old April 23rd 04, 04:35 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hmmmmmmm.

Need to mention a little experiment here.

We painted two commercial use lawn mowers, one with Krylon, one with
Rust Oleum.

The lawn mowers sit outside 24/7 on a trailer, except when they are in
use naturally. They see the freezing cold of winter and the burning
hot summer sun.

Both mowers received an automotive primer coat first.
Although one coat covered perfectly, the mower using Krylon spray
received two light coats. With Rust Oleum it took a full three coats
before the finish was blended evenly and uniformly over the mower.

Both mowers were in service and used almost equally, subjected to the
same abuses performing the same services.

The Krylon coating would get scratches from loading and unloading as
expected but did not wear appreciably in the higher wear areas of the
mower, like the housing edges, etc.

The Rust Oleum coating scratched very easily and would peel around
each of the scratches. In the higher wear areas, the Rust Oleum came
off very quickly, all the way down to the primer coat. Sun and heat
caused some blistering of the paint, even in areas that are normally
covered with waste grass clippings.

At the end of the first season of cutting, the Krylon mower still
looked near new, whereas the Rust Oleum mower looked like it aged 5
years already. The paint also faded considerably compared to the
Krylon.

At the end of the second season of cutting, the Krylon mower was
showing a little more wear and tear, but still looked great. No
blistering, no checking, etc.

The Rust Oleum painted mower looked awful. Some of the paint
alligatored in the heat, much of it blistered and came off. The mower
looked 10 years old if not older.
It was stripped, reprimed and painted with Krylon, two light coats.

TTUL
Gary