Grounding wool ??

Old January 1st 04, 05:56 PM
Jude

Default Grounding wool ??

Hi
Could anyone tell me what grounding wool is used for, and how it differs
from tapestry wool ?. I'm in the UK and don't know if this is just a UK term
or whether it's the same in the States.

I just bought a job lot of misc tapestry wool on ebay and some of it is
grounding wool, and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Many thanks

Judy

Old January 2nd 04, 01:26 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

From what I can gather, it's an Australian term for a heftier tapestry
wool. I found it at two Aussie sites, one showing a picture of DMC
*grounding wool*, the other with two terms: DMC 486 (Tapestry Wool) and
DMC 487 (Tapestry Grounding Wool).

I have a feeling it's used on low-count canvases. I hope someone steps
up to the plate. I'll be curious to have a definitive answer. It is
not listed on the DMC-USA site, nor sold at Herschnerrs, which carries
any and all DMC products.

Dianne

Old January 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
DePalatis

Could anyone tell me what grounding wool is used for, and how it differs
from tapestry wool ?.

Judy, Just a guess, but would it be a wool to be used for the background
(hence "grounding")?

Rita/TX

Old January 2nd 04, 06:31 AM
John

Grounding wool is the term used for those colours that are most
commonly used as a background. It's not in any way different from the
other wool, except it's available in a hank, rather than the small
skein. I suppose that makes it a bit cheaper. Of course you can buy
those same colours in skeins as well.

John
Old January 4th 04, 04:27 AM
Rosemary Peeler

I'm wondering if it might be the big skeins you can get for doing
backgrounds.

Rosemary in Melbourne, Australia