Very OT Hot off the press

Old July 21st 04, 10:21 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Default Very OT Hot off the press

Hello everyone -the news here tonight is that two Australian scientists
appear to have discovered a cure for altzhiemers. One worked here in
Australia and his friend went to Boston to use their facilities - they tried
their drug on mice and it worked and since then have tested it on 30 humans
and in each case the Altzheimers stopped in its tracks - so they advocate
that anyone over 50 should have a test with their GP especially if they are
loosing memory and the faster treatment starts the better the results.

It appears that basically the problem is an unusual build up of copper and
these scientists went back to literally high school chemistry and tried to
"dislove" this mass in the brain and they used a common drug ( I think they
said Clyisorel - something like that) and went on from there. It is
anticipated
that it will be about three years before the treatment can come
on the market - it has to be tested on a large number of people first and
this will be done in the USA and England as our population is not large
enough for such a test.

God Bless Gwen
--

Gwen Kelly

Old July 21st 04, 12:41 PM
norma woods

Wouldn't that be wonderful! Alzheimer's touches just about everyone's life
indirectly if not directly. I pray that they will be successful in this!

--
Star love,
Norma
u...

Old July 21st 04, 01:10 PM
Rusty1215

two Australian scientists
appear to have discovered a cure for altzhiemers.

Gwen, what wonderful news!! Everytime I misplace something , etc., I think it's
the start of Alzheimers, as I think many of us do. It is such an awful disease
- let's hope that they've found the cure.

Bye for now,
Rusty from CT
^(-.-)^
Dusty too
Old July 21st 04, 03:24 PM
Kira Dirlik

two Australian scientists
appear to have discovered a cure for altzhiemers.

Oh, I will remember that I first heard about it here. My aunt
suffered from it for 10 years before her death. It truly is
devastating, not only to the sufferer, but for those who care for
them. My uncle stood by her to the end, caring for her at home. He
has since passed on, too.
Kira

Old July 21st 04, 07:29 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Gwen,

Yes, it was on ABC news last night and local news too. They said it would take
I think 5-10 years before it meets the approval needed here in the US. I for
one hope it works.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks, Gwen! I hope it's sooner rather than later - I can retire in 10 yrs
and I'd love to see a cure before I stop work. Most of my work is with
Alzheimer's sufferers. I look forward to the day when we can say, 'yes, you
have early signs of Alzheimer's, but we have a treatment now!'

That was interesting

Thanks

Liz

Old July 22nd 04, 02:29 AM
NoraBalcer

Hi Liz,

I have to agree with you, I hope it gets approved just in case my DH or myself
start showing signs of it.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
Katherine

Oh, I hope it works! Keith's mother had Alzheimer's and we feel rather glad
that she died while it was still in the early (relatively) stages.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine, they seem confident in that the people on whom they have
tested it have had the disease "arrested" and also seem to be
recovering their abilities to remember etc. God Bless Gwen