Press left, press right

Old March 27th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default Press left, press right

On Mar 26, 12:27*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
We've all heard the Quilt Police. *Press this way; press that. *Aim toward
the feed dogs, aim away. *Pin before and aft and in the middle. *Sew over
pins. *Don't.
* * I've declared myself an 'expert'. *For those of you who don't know, an
expert is someone 50 miles away from home with a briefcase.
* * Bringing forward my dress making experience and my heirloom sewing along
too - I have decided to ignore the rules and press my quilt piecing/block
seams open.
* * Yes.
* * I have.
* * Just in case that would make the seam endings weaker or more prone to
come undone, I've set my stitch length a little shorter.
* * Ta-Dah.
* * I've just make a quilt top of something so sweet: *Tweetie Bird on
bright yellow combined with a batik of Blue Jay blue. *Every ... need to
HOLLER he *corner. *Every one of them is pretty perfect.
* * Open pressing just works so much better for me. *Conclusion? * Let's all
go out and break some rules. *After all . .. there's a full moon. *Polly

This is a geat thread! I was pressing seams open when I first started
because that's what I thought you did...it worked...then I actually
bought some quilting books and found out it was "wrong." If it works,
it can't be all wrong, can it? Thanks for the chuckles, Polly, and
for starting this thread. Donna
Old March 27th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

That was fun, wasn't it? Did you notice that we pretty much stayed on the
subject? Often as not a thread wanders down all sorts of dirt roads - which
suits me just fine. I'm pinning the blue/yellow Irish Chain just now and am
sooo pleased with the accuracy. I know. Baby won't care but I do. Polly

"dealer83" This is a geat thread! I was pressing seams open when I first

Old March 27th 10, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

What do they make you do in Quilt Jail?

How about making you quilt!!!

Where can I sign up for quilt jail????

Claudia
Old March 27th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

When I really want perfect pressing, I really press everything toward
the dark side, sortof. One needs to determine exactly which seams go
where and work it out in advance, so it can be fiddly. But to achieve
"dark side" at all intersections, I clip one layer of the seam at each
side of the intersection so the seam can flip the right way. this
means the actual intersections will be pressed open, and everything
else to one side. This IMO gives the best result with the least bulk,
for quite a lot of block patterns. But I don't always bother! Pressing
everything to one side and letting the chips fall where they may is
faster.
Roberta in D

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:09:50 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

There are, of course, times when seams pressed to the side look better. For
example, Pat on the Green taught me that when you have a piece that you want
to stand out and look framed, pressing the seams toward the picture will
lift it. I've enjoyed that trick. Polly

"Ruby" I have been following "the rules" for pressing seams and am never
happy
with the end result as when piecing the finished blocks and strips always
end with some seams meeting the wrong way and bulking up. so happy to hear
that open pressing works as have been tempted to do it. Big sigh of
relief. here goes.
Ruby

Old March 27th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Stitch in the ditch in pressed open seams can be magical (I found out
quite by chance!). I was using variegated thread, and the lowest width
and length zig-zag. It really does look lovely (you can't really see
that it is zig-zag. So very pretty.

I have also straight quilted on pressed open seams. After all, you are
sewing across the seam thread, into the batting and backing - it isn't
going to go anywhere unless any thread breaks - and that's a problem
whenever it happens. It isn't as obvious - but sometimes that's a
benefit!
..
In message , Michelle C.
writes
I can see where this idea has a lot of merit. I just have to wonder if
it would be a good idea if part of the quilting plan would be to stitch
in the ditch?

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old March 27th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
kratersge

I especially like pressing backing seams open.

I have pieced backs on lots of my quilts. Not a lot of seams, but
some. It makes hand quilting much easier if they are pressed flat.

susan k
see my quilts: members.cox.net/kratersge
Old March 27th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Yes they do! (but not sure what quality the scissors are).

http://www.finecellwork.co.uk

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Michelle C. wrote:
NightMist wrote:

What do they make you do in quilt jail anyway?
Geometry? Shred polycotton for pillow stuffing? Starch and iron white
fabric for hours, and then swap you to black?

NightMist

No, they give you lovely bolts of batiks, Hancocks, blenders, florals,
and novelty fabrics and NO scissors!

Old March 28th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Press left, press OPEN

And finally! I'm just so pleased to report that the pressed open quilt is
nearly finished. It's still a bit damp and is flat on the kitchen counter
to dry. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Pressing the seams open was a good,
good idea. Not one place did the seams scootch 2 threads over and miss.
Not one. The quilt is only blue and yellow 9-patches - nothing
challenging - but the contrast would have made one missed intersection
visible from a galloping horse. Galloping gator? Whatever. It's spring,
you know. Polly

Old March 29th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Ok, We need pictures of that!

amy in CNY

Just a few thoughts as I press Fey Quilting 5 May 31st 06 08:54 PM
First press Cindy Schoepp Beads 2 March 10th 05 04:47 PM
Need advice-press Anna Belle Quilting 4 February 24th 05 09:50 PM
Very OT Hot off the press Gwendoline Kelly Yarn 9 July 22nd 04 03:23 AM
Press and Seal Roberta Zollner Quilting 10 July 15th 04 06:53 PM