Press left, press right

Old March 26th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Default Press left, press right

I even went the other way when dressmaking and overlocked my seams -
then pressed them to one side - and said 'phooey'! Seems Iike I was
practising for combining all seaming methods for quilty/craft
sewing .... I even did some seam clipping when I made my winding ways
quilt top. When I am doing the final iron (not pressing of a quilt
top),I have found that I usually prefer to let the blocks decide for
themselves which way they want to lie. jennellh

On Mar 26, 1:27*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
We've all heard the Quilt Police. *Press this way; press that. *Aim toward
the feed dogs, aim away. *Pin before and aft and in the middle. *Sew over
pins. *Don't.
* * I've declared myself an 'expert'. *For those of you who don't know, an
expert is someone 50 miles away from home with a briefcase.
* * Bringing forward my dress making experience and my heirloom sewing along
too - I have decided to ignore the rules and press my quilt piecing/block
seams open.
* * Yes.
* * I have.
* * Just in case that would make the seam endings weaker or more prone to
come undone, I've set my stitch length a little shorter.
* * Ta-Dah.
* * I've just make a quilt top of something so sweet: *Tweetie Bird on
bright yellow combined with a batik of Blue Jay blue. *Every ... need to
HOLLER he *corner. *Every one of them is pretty perfect.
* * Open pressing just works so much better for me. *Conclusion? * Let's all
go out and break some rules. *After all . .. there's a full moon. *Polly

Old March 26th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

ok..ok...i'll admit it now...

"Hi, my name is Amy and I press the seams open."

Wow..only 11 steps to go...

amy in CNY
Old March 26th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

I have been following "the rules" for pressing seams and am never happy
with the end result as when piecing the finished blocks and strips
always end with some seams meeting the wrong way and bulking up. so
happy to hear that open pressing works as have been tempted to do it.
Big sigh of relief. here goes.
Ruby

Old March 26th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

There are, of course, times when seams pressed to the side look better. For
example, Pat on the Green taught me that when you have a piece that you want
to stand out and look framed, pressing the seams toward the picture will
lift it. I've enjoyed that trick. Polly

Old March 26th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

I've been pressing seams open also. I also try to remember to shorten
my stitch length so there will be less chance of any batting peeking
out. I find the open seams give my blocks a lot more accuracy. I
also sew over pins...but I go slower and try to judge if it going to
be a direct hit....then I'll pull the pin before sewing over it.
KJ
Old March 26th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

When the seams don't meet up the right way for pressing,
I make a little snip in one seam & press it the way I want it to go.
I usually press to the side, because I LIKE it that way,
esp. for handquilting.
However, there's no one standing over me w/ stick, so I generally
do as I please. Quilting has rules? Who said? ;-P

R/Sandy http://www.flickr.com/photos/41469540@N08/

Old March 26th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

I was thinking I would press some of the seams open on this quilt top I'm
piecing right now (St. Louis block), but when I got the blocks on the
ironing board, they just seemed to want to go a certain way, so that's the
way they're going. I press "toward the blue" on each seam.

My first quilting primer was Fons & Porter, and that's what they said, was
"don't fight it." Some seams want to go a certain way.

It helps to have the seam allowance pressed one way if you're ditch
quilting; the trick is to ditch quilt on the side of the seam that is just
one layer of fabric, so it kind of snuggles in under the thick side of the
seam and disappears. Not that I achieve this with any degree of
consistency -- yet :-) -- but I get the concept.

ep

Old March 26th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:27:00 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

There is only one graven in stone rule you know.

If It Works It Is The Right And True Way To Do It.

Anything else that says it is a rule is merely a suggestion of how
someone else gets best results sometimes.

Sometimes using a given method will cause you to break a rule. For
example if you foundation piece you almost never always press to the dark
side. It is physically impossible to do. I have foundation pieced
counterpoint quilts an I am not in quilt jail!

What do they make you do in quilt jail anyway?
Geometry? Shred polycotton for pillow stuffing? Starch and iron white
fabric for hours, and then swap you to black?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old March 26th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

"NightMist" wrote in message
What do they make you do in quilt jail anyway?
Geometry? Shred polycotton for pillow stuffing? Starch and iron white
fabric for hours, and then swap you to black?

Aaaaaaaaaaargh! The horror! The horror!

ep

Just a few thoughts as I press Fey Quilting 5 May 31st 06 08:54 PM
First press Cindy Schoepp Beads 2 March 10th 05 04:47 PM
Need advice-press Anna Belle Quilting 4 February 24th 05 09:50 PM
Very OT Hot off the press Gwendoline Kelly Yarn 9 July 22nd 04 03:23 AM
Press and Seal Roberta Zollner Quilting 10 July 15th 04 06:53 PM