How do you machine sew nylon webbing and D-rings?

Old July 4th 05, 04:22 AM
B. Peg

Default How do you machine sew nylon webbing and D-rings?

I have a bunch of 3/4" wide nylon strap webbing and D-rings to attach to the
ends of them. Typical put through D-ring about 1 1/2" and sew a box
pattern to secure the ring to the strap webbing. These are going on some
duffle bags to help secure them and to use shoulder straps if needed.

How does one get the machine to do this? The sewing machine's drive feet
don't like the nylon webbing strap material as it is fairly open weave so
the stitches come out all messed up (lots of tangles and lousy thread
pattern).

Does one do it as a freehand stitch on the machine? I thought about the
zipper foot to get close to the D-ring part, but the rest is a mess and
having not that much material to catch is frustrating.

Thanks.

B~

Old July 4th 05, 04:30 AM
Ward

"B. Peg" wrote in message
I have a bunch of 3/4" wide nylon strap webbing and D-rings to attach to
the ends of them. Typical put through D-ring about 1 1/2" and sew a box
pattern to secure the ring to the strap webbing. These are going on some
duffle bags to help secure them and to use shoulder straps if needed.

How does one get the machine to do this? The sewing machine's drive feet
don't like the nylon webbing strap material as it is fairly open weave so
the stitches come out all messed up (lots of tangles and lousy thread
pattern).

Does one do it as a freehand stitch on the machine? I thought about the
zipper foot to get close to the D-ring part, but the rest is a mess and
having not that much material to catch is frustrating.

Thanks.

B~

Well, don't know if it will help or not, but I use a "jeans" needle, the
regular foot which helps hold down the web, and tear-away stabilizer on the
top and bottom. I also use a spare piece of web to test the above. You
might try to adjust the tension a bit. I use button hole twist thread too.
Good luck.

Liz

Old July 4th 05, 06:08 AM
Michael Daly

On 3-Jul-2005, "B. Peg" wrote:

How does one get the machine to do this? The sewing machine's drive feet
don't like the nylon webbing strap material as it is fairly open weave so
the stitches come out all messed up (lots of tangles and lousy thread
pattern).

Use a good quality 100% polyester thread and a 14 or a jeans needle.

Make sure the tension is right. Webbing can require more tension than most
fabrics and if it isn't right, you can get tangles and uneven stitches. In
particular, the lower thread tension is important. I find I've got to get
the bobbin tension quite high to work with these kinds of materials.

I don't know why you'd have a problem with the feet - those usually aren't
a problem.

I usually use three overlying zigzag stitches as a kind of bar tack. I use
a 1mm, 3mm and 5mm wide stitch. Stitch length is about 1mm for all three.

Two parallel lines of these stitches are all I ever need for any strength
of webbing and widget I've ever sewn. No failures yet.

Mike
Old July 4th 05, 11:44 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:22:35 GMT, "B. Peg"
wrote:

I have a bunch of 3/4" wide nylon strap webbing and D-rings to attach to the
ends of them.

You might sew a box, or you might find that a couple of parallel
bartacks across the webbing are easier - if you have a machine with
zigzags.

For my machines, I find that either reducing the presser foot pressure
(the big machine) or even sewing with the foot up (the little machine)
is helpful. On the small Pfaff with the top feed foot I _must_
disconnect this. Feed is still pretty marginal, so it requires some
hand assistance to feed it through, maybe even dropping the feed dogs
(darning mode) altogether.

Once you've made one pass with a bar tack, then going back and forth is
easy. The surface is smoothed out and the webbing is compressed by the
first stitches.

As to the stitch formation then I find no trouble sewing nylon webbing
with heavy polyester thread - it's all slippery. Sewing canvas webbing
though, I need to increase the top tension.

I don't bother with changing needle - the needle I used to sew the bag
(probably quite hefty Cordura) manages pretty well. A jeans needle is
the right thing though.

Old July 4th 05, 02:14 PM
small change

B. Peg wrote:
I have a bunch of 3/4" wide nylon strap webbing and D-rings to attach
to the ends of them. Typical put through D-ring about 1 1/2" and
sew a box pattern to secure the ring to the strap webbing. These are
going on some duffle bags to help secure them and to use shoulder
straps if needed.
How does one get the machine to do this? The sewing machine's drive
feet don't like the nylon webbing strap material as it is fairly open
weave so the stitches come out all messed up (lots of tangles and
lousy thread pattern).

Does one do it as a freehand stitch on the machine? I thought about
the zipper foot to get close to the D-ring part, but the rest is a
mess and having not that much material to catch is frustrating.

Thanks.

B~

sounds like the classic bird's nest scenario....
you don't say what kind of thread or needle you are using.

check my outdoor gear sewing tips page for comments.

I never use stabilizer; try tightenting your top tension and hand cranking
if you don't have access to a heavy duty machine.

Penny
Specialty Outdoors
--
Tips for Making your own gear
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/tips.asp

Old July 5th 05, 05:14 AM
Taria

Give the webbing enough length so you don't have to sew right
up against the d ring. You don't need the ring so tight you can't
work with it all. I do about an inch box with a X through
the center and if it will get a lot of wear a row on each end
about 1/4" out.
Taria

Old July 5th 05, 03:00 PM
small change

Taria wrote:
Give the webbing enough length so you don't have to sew right
up against the d ring. You don't need the ring so tight you can't
work with it all. I do about an inch box with a X through
the center and if it will get a lot of wear a row on each end
about 1/4" out.
Taria

sometimes if you do not get close to the d-ring , the d will turn around on
its webbing.

penny s