Well, he's got 6 geetarrs...

Old November 24th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Fay

Default Well, he's got 6 geetarrs...

Hi everyone. I've been wrestling with our house building for the last
couple of months, but at least I'm getting on day a week to myself.
Haven't done a lot since the baby quilt except make a ragdoll (Jemima
from ABC Playschool show in Oz). This gave me a dlimmma. My Jamone
6500 is a great machine. However for sewing dolls and their clothes
its big flatbed is overkill. I believe the best time to get a second
machine is between the first and the third. SO ladies, what do you I
should get think for a smaller general purpose machine? We live in
country Victoira so it's a trek to a dealer...
Cheers, Fay
Old November 24th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I, too, have a Janome 6500.
After trying to carry it any distance, I knew I would have to get a
smaller one - for carrying to workshops and as a back-up. I decided to
get another Janome. I looked at all their really small ones and the Jem
Gold and Platinum seemed great. But, then I thought that, if it was a
real back-up, I would have to be able to quilt on it. So, I got a
full-size lower end machine: the 415. I don't even know if it is still
in production; but, if not, there would be something similar. It has
the capability to be a free arm machine (which I also thought I might
need - for sleeves and trouser legs/hemming/repairing). I can't tell
you how it works, really, as I have only used it a couple of times.
Sorry.
..
In message
, Fay
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 24th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I bought a slightly used Janome Jem Gold when I had my second hip
replacement- thinking I could put it across my thighs and sew in bed during
the extended recovery period (never tried doing it!). I *really* like it.
It's small and has a limited number of stitches and is very lightweight as
far as carrying it, but it sits firmly and doesn't jump around at high
sewing speeds. I've only used it a few times but was very impressed with
it's stitch quality and the way it purrs along and does a fine job like my
6600- which I love to pieces. I really don't see where the large bed has an
effect on sewing smaller objects??? The only area that really matters is
the needle going up and down and that's about the same on any machine.
Maybe you have to be there.... LOL I made square within a square blocks
that finished at 3/4 in. using my 'big clunky' Accu-Feed foot on my beloved
6600- the 6600 is almost identical to your 6500.

Good luck with finding a machine that suits your needs.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
chris[_2_]

Fay,
One of the sewing retail chains is having a sale at the moment. I'm not sure
who, or what's on special or what kind of prices, I heard a commercial when
I was cooking last night. I don't normally take notice of the television,
but the word "Janome" make my ears prick up! :-) It may be a general Janome
sale.

Spotlight also has a few machines on special. You can see their catalogue
online http://www.spotlight.com.au/catalogues - towards the end of the "big
brand sale" catalogue.

Metro Sewing Centres sell online now (i think)
http://www.sewingmachines.com.au/

Statewide sewing centres also have regular sales. I'm not sure where their
regional shops are other than Bendigo.

good luck

chris

:-)

Old November 24th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

I did it the opposite direction, went from the smaller Janome
Décor Excel 5124 to the J 6500. The DE machine quilts, too;
I saw someone do that on my machine! ;-D
http://www.janome.com/index.cfm/Mach...4#Machines_Ove
rview

As you say, Patti, it's easier to carry than the big gal. I'm keeping
the smaller one; it doesn't take much space, & I still love it. ;-)
http://www.janome.com/index.cfm/Machines/Electronic

The Singer treadle sitting in the corner loves the company.

6 geetars? Is that all? How many amplifiers?

R/Sandy - we love our gadgets

On 11/24/08 4:52 AM, in article , "Patti"
wrote:

I, too, have a Janome 6500.
After trying to carry it any distance, I knew I would have to get a
smaller one - for carrying to workshops and as a back-up. I decided to
get another Janome. I looked at all their really small ones and the Jem
Gold and Platinum seemed great. But, then I thought that, if it was a
real back-up, I would have to be able to quilt on it. So, I got a
full-size lower end machine: the 415. I don't even know if it is still
in production; but, if not, there would be something similar. It has
the capability to be a free arm machine (which I also thought I might
need - for sleeves and trouser legs/hemming/repairing). I can't tell
you how it works, really, as I have only used it a couple of times.
Sorry.
.

In message
, Fay