Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater?

Old October 15th 03, 09:44 PM
H Schinske

Default Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater?

Some time ago I posted here a message including the following: "I used to have
a Norwegian pullover with a yoke pattern (not a
rounded Fair Isle thing like an Icelandic sweater, but whatever you call that
squared-off look), and it seems to me it should be possible to knit that like a
Guernsey, circular to the armpit, back and forth for the front and back, join
at the shoulders, and then pick up stitches round the armhole and knit
downwards. Unfortunately I don't have it any longer to copy. Anyone heard of
such a pattern? Or know why it might *not* be possible?"

Well, I am now in the process of making such a sweater (adapting it from two
different Dale patterns), and yes, it works. I don't actually find that it's
very difficult at all to do the two-color work on the purl side. Granted I'm
using a very easy pattern, and don't need to do many rows of it in purl. I'm
doing it in a deep paprika red with cream contrast, which is a very nice change
from the dark gray, dark blue, and Aran white of my last three sweaters!

I've also been reading a lovely book about Swedish sweaters, which has lots of
examples of 19th-century sweaters and a bunch of modern ones that were inspired
by the older ones. (Britt-Marie Christoffersson, _Swedish Sweaters: New Designs
from Historical Examples_, Taunton Press, 1990, translated from _Svenska
trojor_) I don't actually like most of her modern ones much, but she does have
a very pretty sweater that was knit Guernsey fashion, with front and back flaps
separate and not cut later.

Today I found a Benetton sweater in a thrift store that was obviously cribbed
from 19th-century Swedish patterns. It would be interesting to know if the
designer knew the real origin, or was copying a copy of a copy ...

--Helen