@%#(*%&#$#%# Buttericks/McCalls/Vogue and lack of men's patterns

Old September 30th 03, 12:40 AM

@%#(*%&#$#%# Buttericks/McCalls/Vogue and lack of men'spatterns

(duh=A0who)
Cea wrote:=A0=A0
=A0=A0=A0=A0Stop this this minute!! I've blown coffee out my nose
twice, and I'm already short on beans, with no grocery trip planned
today.
---
I knew you were full of beans.
---
Tsk! Such a mild pejorative, it might be looked at as a compliment.
I've heard much worse. ; )
BTW, there are a couple more alternatives to your pattern dilemma:
haunt the thrift shops--I find more men's patterns there than I find in
the pattern books. Vintage, but with usable details. Deconstruct
clothing and make patterns. Actually, I prefer to copy a pattern without
taking the garment apart.
While you're haunting the thrift shops, check out the men's wear aisle
for styles you want to copy. I have yet to see any upscale re-sale
boutiques for menswear, or I'd recommend searching through their racks.
In my experience, most men wear their timeless suit uniforms for a
minimum of 20 years. Kinda kills the resale value.
For mandarin collars, check the robe and pj patterns--and don't
neglect patterns which are labelled 'Unisex'.
Last, but not least, butter up Sharon. She now has such a lovely
vintage patten stash. :O
Cea

Old September 30th 03, 06:35 AM
melinda

duh who wrote:

I'm talking about the top row of the keyboard. Which brings up that other
issue. I notice that everyone here top-posts, i.e. answers other posts by
typing at the top of the page. From my experience with other newsgroups,
this is frowned upon and is very annoying to deal with. So, is the
netiquette different for the sewing groups?

I figured I'd cover my bases here by typing in the middle.

I usually bottom-post and snip or put my comments in appropriate spaces
through what I'm replying to.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 30th 03, 06:59 AM
joy beeson

The rule is very simple: you top-post if, and only if, you
quote the entire post.

On Usenet, quoting the entire post is extremely frowned
upon, so top-posting is even more strongly frowned upon,
since top-posting rudely asserts that you are failing to
trim on purpose.

But in the sewing groups, we don't strongly frown, just sigh
and put up with it. Since we seldom get long threads,
top-posting and whole-thread quoting are merely annoying,
and don't make it impossible to communicate.

Besides, our shtick is teaching people how to sew. We leave
lessons in communication technique to other groups.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old September 30th 03, 07:12 AM
duh who

Besides, our shtick is teaching people how to sew.

New bumpersticker: "Topstitching, not top-posting"

Old September 30th 03, 07:41 AM

duh who wrote:
Besides, our shtick is teaching people how to sew.

New bumpersticker: "Topstitching, not top-posting"

How about: "Sew many seams, so little time"?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old September 30th 03, 07:55 AM
Kathy Morgan

IMS wrote:

If quoting a particularly long post, it's perfectly Ok to top post. Who
wants to scroll down and down, to read a one-sentence reply?

Ack! No, absolutely not! You should never be quoting an entire long
post unless you're going to be specifically commenting on all parts of
it, in which case the responses should be interleaved. If you're going
to do a one-sentence reply, *cut out* most of the original post leaving
just enough to provide context for your reply. It's better to put your
comment below the quoted material, since English is read top to bottom,
left to right, but if you have edited appropriately and no one is going
to be following up to you it probably doesn't matter a great deal.
--
Kathy - read reviews of other newsgroups in news:news.groups.reviews
help for new users of newsgroups at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Old September 30th 03, 07:55 AM
Kathy Morgan

Joanna wrote:

I post on the top. For people that have a slow connection or pay by the minute
this does make a difference

Yes, it does, because most people who top post do not trim out the
material they're replying to, and this makes the post larger and slower
to download. Failing to trim the quoted material to leave only enough
for context is the real problem.

Old September 30th 03, 12:10 PM
Kate Dicey

SewStorm wrote:

I'm planning to come back as a slender, bias cut silk Haute Couture
thing - fantastically beautiful, veeeeerrrryyyyy expensive and rare!

Kate, you're already as rare as a fine wine, and don't you forget it!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

You sweet lady! Thank you.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 30th 03, 12:10 PM
Kate Dicey

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Never had this problem with the cats. They are way too interested in
sleeping on the nice fluffy fat new duvet with freshly laundered cover!
The cats only ever go in the bathroom if I want to go in!

They used to not go in, but with the kitchen remodel the only place we
could find for the catbox was in the bathtub.

Ours, being well trained to the outdoors, only get a litter box if they
are ill and need to be confined to the house.
Old September 30th 03, 02:21 PM
Mike Behrent

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to Usenet. I spend most of my online time
between the web and IRC so I'm not familiar with Usenet conventions
Mike in Wisconsin