New rotary cutter?

Old September 23rd 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default New rotary cutter?

We've just about worn out the favorite rotary cutter here. Imagine that.
It is a Fiskars that covers the blade edge when it is put down. That's a
great safety feature, particularly if you have a QI that is closely involved
in the cutting process.
I don't know how old it might be or how many thousand miles might be on
it. So. Is there something new, wonderful, kind to old hands and safe that
I'll want to try? Polly

Old September 23rd 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Polly,
I have a Fons & Porter that I like. It covers the blade automatically
and also has a switch for "hard & soft". More or less layers.

Anna Belle

Old September 23rd 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

We've got the same old yellow Olfas as most of the rest of the free
quilting world, but no complaints.
And that shapener I mentioned a while back extends blade useabilty.

Doc

Old September 23rd 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, I like the idea of that 'hard and soft' switch. What a clever idea.
Can you let us know how it works when you have road-tested it? I don't
mind 'buying before I really have to' if the idea is good like this.
..
In message , "Anna
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 23rd 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Personally, I'll stick with my Fiskars. They make good products in general.
A Finnish company, I believe. They have a cool website, too! My SO is a
gardener, and he bought a pair of Fiskars secateurs at the same time that I
bought my Fiskars rotary cutter. We made our choices separately, from
different stores, and thought it was funny that our two tools (with their
distinctive black and orange colors) were re-united here in Alabama having
come from Finland.

I recently fell in love with a pair of Fiskars cloth shears, having seen the
lady at my local fabric shop use them. Like all Fiskars, they were designed
to be ergonomically correct. I just wear my hands out on fabric shears.
But I was disappointed to see that this particular set was made in China. I
try to avoid buying Chinese-made goods.

ep

Old September 23rd 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I like my Olfa Deluxe Ergonomic cutter. It's easier on the hands than
the original Olfa cutter. The blade retracts when it's put down. More
pricey than the standard Olfa cutter, but might be a good choice with a
40% off coupon. http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersDetail.aspx?C=2&Id=5

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old September 23rd 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I do love my Fiskars spring-loaded ergonomic shears and the smaller
scissors. I have some arthritis in my hands and would have a great deal
of difficulty doing much cutting with a conventional shears. I've said
that without those shears I could not have made 5 bridesmaid dresses for
my daughter's wedding -- at least not without some cutting help.

Julia in MN

Old September 23rd 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rusty rusty is offline
Junior Member

On Sep 23, 1:39�pm, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
I do love my Fiskars spring-loaded ergonomic shears and the smaller
scissors. I have some arthritis in my hands and would have a great deal
of difficulty doing much cutting with a conventional shears. I've said
that without those shears I could not have made 5 bridesmaid dresses for
my daughter's wedding -- at least not without some cutting help. . .

I've been using Clover rotary cutters for several years now -- they
can also be used while sitting, to 'neaten up' small pieces as you
sew.
Julia, I'm absolutely lost w/o my small Fiskars spring-loaded scissors
for snipping threads while sewing. I now have two pairs (I think),
since one pair got misplaced in the nether regions a couple of weeks
ago. I thought I'd be able to hold out 'til I found them, but after
a day of trying all the other snips and thingies I've accumulated over
the years, I had to buy another pair. They really do help my
arthritic thumb (of all things)

rusty (who has many more arthritic parts, but the opposable thumb is
the most aggravating at present)
Old September 23rd 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Patti,
I have had the F & P rotary cutter for several years. Still like it.
It is smart to have one without the blade exposed all the time.
Especially in a classroom setting or work setting with others close
by. Have had no complaints with the stability or long live. The
blade seem to get dull as often as others though :-). You can find
them at TSWLTH and sometimes at a discount. The brand is one that is
usually excluded from the coupon use.

Anna Belle

.

Old September 24th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I have a Dritz rotary cutter.
I don't generally think of Dritz first when I am looking for quality
tools, but this cutter has outlived all of it's predecessors, by a
lot. This is the same cutter I had when Wendy was looking for a
spring loaded one.
The blade is spring loaded so I don't have to remember to close it,
and it has hard and soft settings.
This is the successor to Fiskers and Olfa cutters that died the death
within a year or so of purchase. The last Fiskers cutter I had sliced
into my left hand when it died. The cutting head just sort of
exploded into shards while I was using it and the blade spanged right
into my hand.

NightMist
has no luck with Fiskers tools at all

wrote:

Oh, I like the idea of that 'hard and soft' switch. What a clever idea.
Can you let us know how it works when you have road-tested it? I don't
mind 'buying before I really have to' if the idea is good like this.
.
In message , "Anna
writes
Polly,
I have a Fons & Porter that I like. It covers the blade automatically
and also has a switch for "hard & soft". More or less layers.

Anna Belle

--

Legolas is my house elf

rotary cutter blades? Julia Altshuler Quilting 56 February 15th 08 02:47 AM
Rotary cutter help please Ruth[_2_] Quilting 2 August 3rd 07 02:05 PM
rotary cutter Sara Lorimer Quilting 2 January 28th 06 12:35 AM
rotary cutter help Derek Hartmann Quilting 5 January 6th 04 05:28 PM
rotary cutter help Charlotte Hippen Quilting 9 January 5th 04 07:00 PM