Looking for some ideas whimsical houses in cottonwood bark

Old October 24th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
Tom Hayden

Default Looking for some ideas whimsical houses in cottonwood bark

Hi

On Sunday I bought a small piece of cottonwood bark at the New England
Woodcarver's annual Spirit of Wood show. Nice show, by the way!

At the show I saw some neat examples of fantasy houses (for gnomes, etc.)
that had been carved into cottonwood bark. Now I'm looking for some ideas so
I can try to do the same.

Anyone know of any web sites that have pictures of such carvings?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Old October 25th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.carving
George G

http://foxchapelpublishing.com/produ...ls.cfm?PC=1110

Old October 26th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
Desert Rat

Tom,

Try this link. Its a slide show of how to carve a whimsical house.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...3&gid=9550259&

Copy the link into your address line.

Good luck.

Art

Old October 26th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
Tom Hayden

Thank you George.

Tom

Old October 26th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
Tom Hayden

Thanks Art.

It's much more than I expected to receive. I'm at the stage where I'm trying
to figure out what shapes (doors, windows, etc.) are suggested by the piece
of wood I bought.

I'm sure when I've got past this stage the slide show will be just what I
need to get me going on the actual carving. I think the house and the slide
show are fantastic.

Thanks again.

Tom

Old October 27th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
Desert Rat

You are welcome. The main thing to remember about carving the
whimsical houses is, "there are no straight lines." The more scewed
the doors windows, and roofline are, the better it looks.

To visulize it, try picking out an obvious roofline, then a chimney,
then the doors and windows.

Cut in the roof line and chimney first.

Of course it can be a castle, light house, or whatever you come up
with. Does not have to be a regular house.

Good luck.

Art