Viking 950 Walking Foot?

Old January 24th 04, 05:18 AM
Chris_Signe

Default Viking 950 Walking Foot?

Hello,
I am looking for a reasonably priced source of a walking foot for a 1986
Viking 950. My local shop lists a new one at $84. Anyone with alternate
sources please let me know. Signe

Old January 24th 04, 03:19 PM
Tina Hoak

"Chris_Signe" wrote in message
Hello,
I am looking for a reasonably priced source of a walking foot for a 1986
Viking 950. My local shop lists a new one at $84. Anyone with alternate
sources please let me know. Signe

Try Nancy's Notion or Clotilda catalog. get a generic just make sure the
shank is correct for your machine.

Tina
Brockport NY

Old January 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Kate Dicey

Chris_Signe wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a reasonably priced source of a walking foot for a 1986
Viking 950. My local shop lists a new one at $84. Anyone with alternate
sources please let me know. Signe

You won't get a Husqvarna one for less, but a generic one will cost
about half that from somewhere like Clothild's, or any sewing machine
shop. I have one of each, and for anything more than light work, I'll
use the Husqvarna one. The one I got for my treadle cost half the
price, but is half the weight and does NOT work so well. Ya gets wot ya
pays for!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 25th 04, 04:34 AM
Chris_Signe

Thanks for the insight. It is exactly the type of feedback I was looking
for. Those of you who share your experiences sure are a help. Signe

Old January 25th 04, 06:32 PM
Donna Gennick

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

You won't get a Husqvarna one for less, but a generic one will cost
about half that from somewhere like Clothild's, or any sewing machine
shop.
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

A word of caution, here. I have a generic walking foot (from Nancy's
Notions, I think), which works great on my two previous machines, but
does NOT work on my Viking Iris. Yes, I tried it, turning the wheel
slowly by hand to avoid forcing anything, and it just will not work.
I, too, am bummed about the cost of the Viking walking foot, which is
the reason I still don't have one.

I wanted to buy one when I bought the machine, but the dealer insisted
that I really didn't need it unless I did machine quilting. I didn't
then, but am interested in that now. Also, I sew a lot of stretch
fabrics, and personal experience shows that a walking foot helps a
lot. But, the dealer said just lighten the presser foot pressure for
knits. Didn't help. The only reason I didn't insist on buying a
walking foot then was that I didn't know that the generic one wouldn't
work. So, I have to use one of my older machines if I'm doing
something that needs the walking foot.

Donna G.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Old January 25th 04, 08:52 PM
Ron Anderson

Not just any generic walking foot will work on the Viking. It has to be for
the particular model you have, they are not total generic.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine

Old January 25th 04, 09:14 PM
Kate Dicey

Donna Gennick wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

[...]

I have a generic one and a Husqvarna one, and I'd ALWAYS rather use the
Husqvarna one. The generic ones don't fit the HV machines, I've since
found. I paid £25 for the generic one for my Singer machines, and the
HV retails at about twice that. It's worth it! And the HV one has been
working well on stretch velour, patch work quilts, velvet for costumes
and curtains, keeping cheques lined up, and all sorts, for the last 5
years. If I use the generic one as much in a year as I use the HV one,
it will need replacing!
Old January 25th 04, 09:42 PM
Pogonip

Ron Anderson wrote:

Not just any generic walking foot will work on the Viking. It has to be for
the particular model you have, they are not total generic.

Ron, are you saying that Viking has different walking
foot/feet for different model Viking machines? That you
can't buy a Viking walking foot for any relatively new
Viking machines?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old January 29th 04, 08:54 AM
Chris_Signe

Looks likes I will eventually be spending the extra $'s and get the
Husqvarna. You have all made it pretty evident.

Donna, where in the UP? We visited Houghton, Copper Harbor and Eagle Harbor
the last couple of summers. Awesome area.
Signe

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Donna Gennick wrote:

[...]

walking foot for viking platinum 750 DrQuilter Quilting 8 February 1st 05 05:51 AM
Walking Foot To Give Away "long". Dixie Quilting 4 April 24th 04 03:41 PM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 09:38 PM
Generic walking foot? D&D Quilting 0 October 24th 03 11:38 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM