Sewing Machine Recommendations

Old January 24th 04, 03:48 PM
Jean D Mahavier

"Penny S" wrote in message
KEL wrote:
Wow! Wherever you got a Bernina with that many feet, you are very,
very lucky!!!! Mine only came with the bare minimum, zipper foot,
buttonhole foot, blind hemmer and zigzag foot. I was in the market
for a new machine and called about them as the nearest dealer is over
50 miles away. Nope. Not even the ones going for around two thousand
came with more than the minimum at the two dealers whom I spoke with.
I had to pay almost a hundred dollars for a walking foot for my
Bernina. I didn't care for the way it sewed and recently purchased
Janome. It came with many more feet than the Bernina and the
additional feet are way cheaper also. "

the 1030 and the 1130 were top of the line, 15-18 years ago. I guess

things
have changed a bit?

Note the other post where a gal is asking where to purchase a walking foot
for a viking... for $84. Perhaps the foot pricing deal is not so exlusive

Bernina? Other than Pfaff, does any home machine come with one?

penny s

My Elna CE20 came with one about 4 years ago. and about 6 more ordinary
feet.

Old January 24th 04, 04:02 PM
KEL

*I have heard that Viking has horrendously priced feet also. I have no clue
if any other machines have them. Many of the other manufacturers have
cheaper feet and you can also use the generic feet on them. I will admit,
however, that the Bernina feet are made wonderfully but for a person on a
tight budget, you can end up spending as much or more on a large number of
feet than on a new machine!!!! As far as I understand, Pfaff has some system
where you push a button and get an even feed built in, IDF, I guess it is
called. Nice, but over my budget. I bought the Kenmore Elite that is made
by Janome as it was exactly what I wanted and I could not afford to pay two
thousand dollars for a Bernina for similar features. I just hold my breath
and hope this works as I got it on sale for approx. 700 and it was rated
very highly by Consumer Reports and some of the people on the sewing
forums.

Old January 24th 04, 04:18 PM
Pat

My Brother machines came with all of the ones mentioned in this thread as
part of the machine.......no extra cost

Old January 24th 04, 05:12 PM
nana2b

The 145 is a cute machine. Light weight and good stitch quality (like other
pricier Bernies) The opening is small for quilters if you plan to MQ with
it. The machine comes with a little plastic type cabinet to store the feet
and other accessories it comes with. My 153QE came with about 9 feet
including the buttonhole and walking foot. The 200E came with at least that
many but no walking foot. However they all are interchangeable. The feet
that it does not come with are more specialized and so far I have only
bought a couple. I am sure there are many machines out there that satisfy
your needs. Just test drive them and make sure you have good dealer and
warranty support. JMHO, Nana

Old January 24th 04, 06:41 PM
I.E.Z.

"Penny S" wrote in message

the 1030 and the 1130 were top of the line, 15-18 years ago. I guess

things
have changed a bit?

Note the other post where a gal is asking where to purchase a walking foot
for a viking... for $84. Perhaps the foot pricing deal is not so exlusive

Bernina? Other than Pfaff, does any home machine come with one?

penny s

I bought my Bernina 1090s in 1995 and it came with at least eight feet. I
did have to buy the quarter-inch foot and the walking foot which cost $80 on
sale. However...this is one good walking foot.

Recently I bought a Janome 6500 which has a large space under the arm for
quilting. This machine came with eleven feet, including a walking foot,
quarter-inch foot (with a little flange that is the best quarter-inch foot
I've ever used) and free-motion foot.

I have a Pfaff with IDF. It's good but not as good as a walking foot.(IMO -
YMMV). And the Pfaff does not have the punching power of either the
Bernina or the Janome. In free-motion it would sometimes struggle over
thick seams.

I like all my machines, and wouldn't get rid of any of them, but the Janome
is my current favorite.

Iris

Old January 24th 04, 06:59 PM
Penny S

I.E.Z. wrote:
"Penny S" wrote in message

the 1030 and the 1130 were top of the line, 15-18 years ago. I guess
things have changed a bit?

Note the other post where a gal is asking where to purchase a
walking foot for a viking... for $84. Perhaps the foot pricing deal
is not so exlusive to Bernina? Other than Pfaff, does any home
[...]

interesting, if I was in the market for a new machine, I would definately
look at the Janome, based on the good things I read consistently. But I'm
not, still waiting to try out the Pfaff 4874 coverlovk which will kill the
machine budget for few years.

Penny

Old January 24th 04, 09:20 PM
Taria

Just curious what model Bernina you have and when did you get it?
My 930 came with 8 or 10 feet. No walking foot but I bet if I'd have
asked for it in the deal at the time I could have gotten it. I bought
one a few years ago and it was on sale and around $80.00. It was worth
the cost.
Taria

Old January 25th 04, 12:10 PM

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:41:50 -0800, "Penny S"
wrote:

Note the other post where a gal is asking where to purchase a walking foot
for a viking... for $84. Perhaps the foot pricing deal is not so exlusive to
Bernina? Other than Pfaff, does any home machine come with one?

Here in Canada, the Janome QC series of machines have come as a
package that includes the walking foot (and several others) and a
plexiglass table. I believe VSM has also had some packages that
included a walking foot with some of the Husqvarna models.

gwh

Old January 25th 04, 01:56 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Here in Canada, the Janome QC series of machines have come as a
package that includes the walking foot (and several others) .......

I Missed the beginning of this thread so apologies if I am missing something.
Anyway, I have a Janome 9000 and it came with a walking foot along with about
8 other feet. I bought a generic walking foot from Clotilda (cost was in the
US$25 range) for use on my Brother and it works just fine. I have a friend
with a Viking and it will cost her almost $90 to purchase a walking foot for
her machine 8-O -- outrageous price IMNSHO!!!
I am looking in the Clotilde catalogue as I write this. The "Economical
Walking Foot (for center needle positions only) is US$14.98 and comes in low or
Singer Slant. The Deluxe model (the one I have) come in low shank, Singer
slant, Bernina (needs adaptor) and one for the Viking 1100, #1 + and the price
is US$29.98.
IIRC, my friend with the Viking contacted Clotilde and was told that her
model of sewing machine will not accept the generic walking foot! I will NEVER
ever purchase any Viking or Husquvarna product for this reason. They want you
to buy only their stuff and then they price it way out of sight! My Janome
will accept all of the generic feet that I have acquired over the years with no
problem. Obviously, I much prefer the Janome -- and don't have to use the
generic foot :-))! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 25th 04, 05:11 PM
Brooke

Thanks so much to all who have contributed to this discussion.
I have taken down a lot of notes to carry with me when I go back to
review the Bernina and Husqvarna machines that I have been looking at.

I pleased that you have also mentioned Janome KEL. I have been
wondering about Janome but I haven't had a chance to look at a
demonstration model yet. I went to another sewing machine shop on
Saturday morning, which is an agent for Elna, Pfaff and Janome but it
was closed, so I peered through the window and I spotted a particular
Janome machine which lloked interesting and having read your
recommendation, I will go back to have a closer look at as soon as
possible.

Thanks again
Brooke

FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
RCTQ FAQs *where did the month go?* Diana Curtis Quilting 20 May 3rd 04 04:09 AM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
sewing machine repair (Long winded) Christina in Ok Quilting 8 November 2nd 03 03:51 AM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM