Residual Bead Release?

Old September 24th 04, 05:11 PM
*~candygrrl~*

Default Residual Bead Release?

Here's my question. I've noticed that I've developed somewhat of a
obsessive-compulsive thing when it comes to bead release in my beads.
I find myself spending time getting every possible speck of it out of
each and every bead. Beadmakers, are you the same way? Is any amount
remaining acceptable or must it all be purged from existance? Now
obviously, I don't mean leaving a thick coat of release in there a la
chinese lampwork. I just mean, the rare random bit in a groove inside
every so often.

Bead buyers, how do you feel about this? If you don't see pristine
holes are you offended? Or as long as they are cleaned, you are
indifferent? Somewhere in between?

C2

Old September 24th 04, 05:24 PM
JavaGirlBT

Cleaning beads is the bane of my existence. But I use a dremel with a
diamond bead reamer so they come out really clean. And yes, I'm pretty
obsessed with getting it all out.
-Ellen

Old September 24th 04, 05:30 PM
Kandice Seeber

I'm somewhere in between. I try very hard to get all the bead release out,
but if there's a speck of it somewhere that's stubborn, that's okay. Using
a diamond bit reamer helps, and soaking the beads in hot water helps, too.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 24th 04, 05:45 PM
Tinkster

I totally crazy when it comes to bead release remains. I like to get
every last bit out. To be honest though, it really doesn't take any
more effort to get it all out, especially if you're using the proper
tools and techniques.

I use a cordless Dremel tool with diamond coated bits for release
removal. For my hollows, I then blast them out with a Waterpik and dry
them inside and out with canned air.

For my long beads, I use bits from Daniel Lopacki. I LOVE THESE!!! And
they last forever!
http://www.lopacki.com/drills/

On 24 Sep 2004 09:11:42 -0700, "*~candygrrl~*"
wrote:

Here's my question. I've noticed that I've developed somewhat of a
obsessive-compulsive thing when it comes to bead release in my beads.
I find myself spending time getting every possible speck of it out of
each and every bead. Beadmakers, are you the same way? Is any amount
remaining acceptable or must it all be purged from existance? Now
obviously, I don't mean leaving a thick coat of release in there a la
chinese lampwork. I just mean, the rare random bit in a groove inside
every so often.

Bead buyers, how do you feel about this? If you don't see pristine
holes are you offended? Or as long as they are cleaned, you are
indifferent? Somewhere in between?

C2

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old September 24th 04, 05:50 PM
Tinkster

It also helps if you're using a bead release that cooperates. I prefer
Alice's Bead Release. A close second is Foster Fire.

I have always wanted to try Purple Piffle, just because it's... well,
it's PURPLE. And it has a cool name :-)

Seriously though, the Alice's is SO easy to remove: It's nice and
clean, easy to mix, and the powder goes a long, long way. We did test
of sorts at the Museum, and they have now switched over to Alice's.

Old September 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Su/Cutworks

Ellen wrote:

Cleaning beads is the bane of my existence. But I use a dremel with a
diamond bead reamer so they come out really clean. And yes, I'm pretty
obsessed with getting it all out.

*puts dremel tool on list of things to buy for Mike*

-Su

Old September 24th 04, 08:19 PM
*~candygrrl~*

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has...to...get...it...out!

Well, I used to use a Dremel, then I got an ultrasonic and it worked
fantastically well until I switched bead releases. I bent my long
diamond reamer bit the other day (haven't found another one yet) and
now I'm doing it the hard way and its pi$$ing me off. Maybe I should
try Alice's to see if it works in my ultrasonic, because that was a joy
unimagined to drop them in there and come back to perfection with no
effort on my part, HA!

C2

Old September 24th 04, 10:25 PM
Beadseeker

blast them out with a Waterpik and

What a great idea!!! Finally a use for that waterpik I bought and used a few
times and now it just sits there.

Thanks,Tink
Patti