Burying in wool in England

Old July 15th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Burying in wool in England

I think this is fascinating, I never heard of it before. I'll have to look
in Smith on Wool ...

It applies to England of course, and possibly Wales.

Mary

Burials in Woollen
"In 1666 an Act of Parliament was passed by which people were compelled to
bury the dead in woollen. The purpose of the Act was to help the farmers and
to encourage the manufacture of woollen goods. The new measure was very
unpopular. From the very early times people had been accustomed to bury
their dead in linen, and a great many people persisted in continuing the old
practice.
To put a stop to disobedience the Government imposed a fine of £5 on the
offender, whenever the act was broken.. Half of the £5 was given to the poor
and half to the informer. An entry (in one of the Church registers) states
that, on at least one occasion, this law was brought into operation against
a Salton resident. The entry reads thus: 'Elizabeth Dowker, the wife of
Robert Dowker, was interred July 15th., 1692, and her corpse was wrapped in
linen, for which the penalty of £5 was imposed, according to the Act of
Parliament, and one half was given to the informer and the other to the
church wardens, to be distributed to the poor of the parish.'
The Act of Parliament which compelled people to bury the dead in woollen was
finally repealed in 1814."
'A Brief History of Brawby and Salton' by Rev H.A Douglas 1937

Old July 15th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

A book that deals with many aspects of Textile manufactering,
legislation etc,,, is ILLUSTRATED ENGLISH Social History by G.M
trevelyan, Penguin books, 1964, 4 volumes.
Also in related terms in
The Fabric Catalog, by Metin Hardingham, A Wallaby book, 1978.
Part of The Wool Versus Linen and later Versus Cotton had Political
implications with coneections to Belgium cloth processors ,,
Alos Did you know the the first NON NOBLE people to recieve a shield
from the English Monarch was THE Company of Clothworkers in 1530.

mirjam

Mary Fisher spun a FINE 'yarn':

Old July 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
A book that deals with many aspects of Textile manufactering,
legislation etc,,, is ILLUSTRATED ENGLISH Social History by G.M
trevelyan, Penguin books, 1964, 4 volumes.

I've had that for yera, it's far too general for my needs.

Alos Did you know the the first NON NOBLE people to recieve a shield
from the English Monarch was THE Company of Clothworkers in 1530.

Are you sure you mean a shield and not Arms?

I know a lot about history, and I'm a Freeman of the Worshipful Comany of
Wax Chandlers.

Mary

Old July 15th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:50:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
A book that deals with many aspects of Textile manufactering,
legislation etc,,, is ILLUSTRATED ENGLISH Social History by G.M
trevelyan, Penguin books, 1964, 4 volumes.

I've had that for yera, it's far too general for my needs.

Well, everyone should read what Befits his/her needs. It still is one
of the most elaborate about that subject that you can find.

Alos Did you know the the first NON NOBLE people to recieve a shield
from the English Monarch was THE Company of Clothworkers in 1530.

Are you sure you mean a shield and not Arms?

Had an other look at the page ,, yes it says Arms .....The general
idea is still the same ,,,
mirjam

Old July 16th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
A book that deals with many aspects of Textile manufactering,
legislation etc,,, is ILLUSTRATED ENGLISH Social History by G.M
trevelyan, Penguin books, 1964, 4 volumes.

I've had that for yera, it's far too general for my needs.

Well, everyone should read what Befits his/her needs. It still is one
of the most elaborate about that subject that you can find.

It isn't.

Alos Did you know the the first NON NOBLE people to recieve a shield
from the English Monarch was THE Company of Clothworkers in 1530.

Are you sure you mean a shield and not Arms?

Had an other look at the page ,, yes it says Arms .....The general
idea is still the same ,,,

It's not.

Sorry, Mirjam, you might be expert in some areas but not all.

Mary

Old July 16th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

We all work with what we can find .. i am not living next to Victoria
and Albert ,,, for what i could find over the years and for my needs
the book is great.
I am also judging it`s quality by other subjects , with which i am
familiar.

It isn't.

Alos Did you know the the first NON NOBLE people to recieve a shield
from the English Monarch was THE Company of Clothworkers in 1530.

Are you sure you mean a shield and not Arms?

Had an other look at the page ,, yes it says Arms .....The general
idea is still the same ,,,

It's not.

I never Claimed to be an expert in all ,,,, i just mentioned that they
were the First Non Nobles to get this Honor ,,, and since i am not
English i can assure you that for most People it doesn`t make such a
big difference ,,,,, this differences are important to people who
expert in it , to reenactors etc.... To most Non English people this
is a Curiosity ....
mirjam