CurveMaster Presser Foot -

Old March 14th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default CurveMaster Presser Foot -

Does anybody here use one of these?

Mickie

Old March 14th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

One of these days I will g
It's still in my drawer!
..
In message .com,
Mickie Swall writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 15th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

FWIW, it didn't work with my Janome. Or, I should say that it worked great,
but the seam was not even close to 1/4". I emailed the company and their
response was "oh, well that happens sometimes. Just move your needle over
until it's a quarter inch." When I pointed out that would cause problems
when I took the foot off and went to a different foot, they said that was
pretty much my problem. My problem has been solved -- the foot has been
given away, and I learned how to sew curved seams without it.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Cats" wrote in message
I have one.
I tried it and it worked.
I haven't had time to make a major curved project with mine
but will definitely use it then.
One of my sewing girls tried one and made a magnificent
quilt of string pieced half and quarter circles straight off
with no problems - and some of the circle segments were
cut on the bias!

NAYY - but I would say that was a pretty good
recommendation.

As a bonus, the foot also sews a good scant 1/4" seam on
straight edges, and the adapters are handy for testing other
snap on feet.
--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Mickie Swall" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Does anybody here use one of these?
:
: Mickie
:

Old March 15th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I got one, opened the package, tried to attach the plastic adapter for
my machine, had to press down really hard because it DIDN'T fit. Then,
SNAP!, and it fit...but it broke the plastic that holds the cross bar.
I contacted the website for the CurveMaster and a few days later I got
a response stating that they would replace it if I mailed my broken
one. I decided to try it (it was cracked but not broken apart) for a
double wedding ring block first since didn't get the chance to use it
before it broke. It worked great but I had trouble with raising the
presser foot and hitting it with the needle. Each time I used it, I
chipped off a little more. After I finished the block, I put it away
and forgot about it. Recently I wrote to them again since I lost the
address. I got a reply in about two days and then I mailed it back to
them in FL. Within ten days I had a new one in my possession. I have
a different machine now (Janome 6500) and I haven't used it yet. Like
others, I plan to use it eventually.

Old March 15th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hhmmmm - the majority of the sewers here use Janomes
(anywhere from 35yo to 6months - the machines, NOT the
sewers!) and none have had any problems. We tried them in a
series of classes and managed to get them onto a wide range
of new and old machines including Singers, Janomes,
Husquvarnas, Berninas (admit this one was the most difficult
to attach) and one we can't identify (but very old and sews
beautifully).

Sorry you had problems. Most here managed perfect 4"
Drunkard's Path blocks by the second try with no pins and no
previous experience sewing curves.

Despite the help of the CM foot I still don't like sewing
curves. I like the effects that can be achieved in quilts
using them, and I like looking at them when they are sewn by
others - but I don't like sewing them myself. When I want
curves I applique LOL!

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
message
m...
: FWIW, it didn't work with my Janome. Or, I should say that
it worked great,
: but the seam was not even close to 1/4". I emailed the
company and their
: response was "oh, well that happens sometimes. Just move
your needle over
: until it's a quarter inch." When I pointed out that would
cause problems
: when I took the foot off and went to a different foot,
they said that was
: pretty much my problem. My problem has been solved -- the
foot has been
: given away, and I learned how to sew curved seams without
it.
:
: --
: Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
: Queen of Fabric Tramps
: http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,

: remove the obvious to reply
:
:
: ...
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
: "Mickie Swall" wrote in message
:
oups.com...
: : Does anybody here use one of these?
: :
: : Mickie
: :
:
:
:
:

Old March 15th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have one of these and took it out thinking it would help on the
double wedding ring I'm struggling with. Only problem is I can't get it
to work properly like they show it does with drunkards path. So I've
basically just been using the 1/4" edge on it. What trick did you use
on the double wedding ring? I really need to get this thing cranking
because my parent's 50th is the middle of October.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old March 15th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Mickie Swall wrote:
Does anybody here use one of these?

Mickie

I have one - I watched a woman demonstrate it at MAQF...boy did that
look easy. came home, grabbed some scraps cut out some templates then
some pieces....tried 2 blocks. Both of them I ended up stretching the
top piece way out of shape I plan on trying again...someday

Roberta (in VA)
Old March 15th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I was hoping to find someone adept in its use that will also
be in the vicinity of Lancaster PA during the quilt show in
April. If you know anybody that fits the requirements, will
you please have them contact me? Thanks!

Mickie

Old March 15th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Wedding Rings - wasCurveMaster Presser Foot -

I had a class last year that made 7 king size wedding ring
quilts with no problems. We used a set of templates (the
ones from Quilting from the Heartland by Sharlene
Jorgenson - NAYY) for the centres and "melon" pieces, and I
used the templates to draw up a foundation for the arcs. We
drew the arcs onto lightweight interfacing (not the iron-on
kind). Fabrics were cut into squares big enough to cover
the arc divisions with just a little to spare and away they
went. The arcs took no time to sew (most chain pieced 5 or
6 at once) and the "backgrounds" were mostly cut with rotary
cutters using the templates, so the blocks fitted together
exactly. Because the arcs were on foundations they had
virtually no distortion.

6 of the 7 quilts were finished within about 6 weeks, and
one of them was a Diamond Variation by Judy Neimeyer (sp?).
The woman who made the Diamond Var'n had only made one other
quilt. The 7th quilt is delayed by the demands of
grandchild(ren) quilt requirements.

The rings were about 15-16" across(?) so the curves were
gentle enough not to be a real problem. Most of the class
did not need CM feet to manage them. WRing was a pattern I
always admired but never wanted to make myself. But when
this group approached me for lessons I decided I had to find
a way that would suit their varied sewing levels or I would
go crazy. Having seen this method work so well for the
class I would never make a WR any other way. I have also
drafted an edge template so that some of the quilts can be
squared and put on a long-arm machine more easily.

I can't wait to see them all quilted and hanging in a row!

Tips if you are gonna try this method:
1. Make some practise arcs and learn the trick for sewing
them together so that the seams sit flat at the intersection
of the rings.
2. If you are going to cut your "background" with scissors
instead of a rotary cutter, get some serrated scissors.
3. Lots of fabrics in a scrappy arrangement are a lot
easier to handle. If you are doing a specific colour
arrangement, mark your foundations!

Just a thought - I was asked to arrange 40 rings for a 40th
anniversary quilt. Arranging 7 X 7 and taking out 3 X 3
from the middle was perfect, and Tracy will quilt entwined
initials in the centre panel. The same could be done for 50
(7 X 8 =56 less 2 X 3, or 6 X 9 = 54 less 2 X 2) but the
"centre" will be off-centre - if that makes any sense LOL

--
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

oups.com...