washing quilts that have not had the fabric prewashed

Old August 22nd 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_6_]

Default washing quilts that have not had the fabric prewashed

Good points all.

thanks!

Martha

In article ,
Susan Laity Price wrote:

Hanne's suggestion to rub with a wet q-tip or white damp cloth would
be OK for spot checking but do not wash the blocks until they are part
of the completed quilt. The edges will fray. Once the entire quilt is
finished and bound wash it in cold water first and let it dry flat. If
all is OK then wash and dry it like it will be in the hospital. I
suggest that you use a polyester batting for something that will be
washed and dried frequently. If after washing in cold water and drying
flat there are problems give the quilt to someone who will always use
cold water and air dry.

Susan

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 20:27:36 +0200, Hanne in DK
wrote:

Den 21-08-2011 20:12, Martha skrev:
Hello!

I've inherited some blocks, with which I am making a quilt.

But I just figured out that the original owner did not prewash her
fabrics, and there are blues, reds and browns in those blocks.

Normally I prewash fabric with Retayne. I think there is a product I
could buy that when added to the wash makes sure that none of the excess
dye stays on the quilt, but I don't remember the name [sigh!]. Does
anyone?

And are there any other suggestions for washing this quilt the first
[and maybe more] times?

It will go to a child in hospital, so must be washable.

Thanks!

Martha

Martha,

There is the "color catcher" sheets (they sell in boxes like dryer
sheets, but are used in the wash. They are supposed to soak up excess dye.

Would it be possible for you to gently handwash before making up the
quilttop? That way you can see if any of the fabrics bleed.

You can also test each fabric for color fastness (use a wet q.tip, for
example).

Hanne in DK

Old August 22nd 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:12:30 -0400, Martha wrote:

Hello!

I've inherited some blocks, with which I am making a quilt.

But I just figured out that the original owner did not prewash her
fabrics, and there are blues, reds and browns in those blocks.

Normally I prewash fabric with Retayne. I think there is a product I
could buy that when added to the wash makes sure that none of the excess
dye stays on the quilt, but I don't remember the name [sigh!]. Does
anyone?

And are there any other suggestions for washing this quilt the first
[and maybe more] times?

It will go to a child in hospital, so must be washable.

Thanks!

Are you trying to remember synthrapol?
The detergent that keeps the excess dye from settling back onto the
fabric? If you have it locally it would be with dying supplies in all
likelihood.

After I use it I usually wash regularly with dye magnets or whatever they
are called this week. Better safe than sorry.

A wash with Retayne might be on your list as well. It is not something I
much use except in situations like this. I still try and get out as much
excess as I can before I use it because just the way the stuff works
there is only so much it can do.

Do remember to check for bleed before you dry it.
I think everybody has gotten rushed and distracted and made the mistake
of not doing that at least once.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

washing very old quilts with stains Hobot Quilting 3 March 11th 08 03:55 AM
Washing your quilts Marie Dodge[_3_] Quilting 33 February 12th 08 09:29 PM
Need some help / Fabric wasn't prewashed Susan \(SC\) Quilting 2 June 19th 07 03:06 AM
washing quilts Buckeye Bev Quilting 23 April 11th 05 01:43 PM
Washing Rag Quilts Shirley Ellen Quilting 3 January 21st 05 02:51 AM