Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Old March 25th 04, 07:18 AM
lula

Have you done or seen the paper embroidery techniques in scrapbooking?
It's so cool to see the intergration of so many diffrerent techniques
nowadays into all types of crafts and art.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Rachel Janzen wrote:

One of the first thing you learn when you learn scrapbooking (Creative
Memories in particular) is that you are leaving a record of who you were
for future generations. So your words are just as important as the
pictures, cute stickers, perfect paper and outstanding design, if not
important. Also, your handwriting is a part of you and a part that
future generations want to see, no matter how bad you think it is. In
fact I know of scrapbookers that take special care to ensure that
whatever scraps of their ancesters handwriting is part of their
scrapbooks to past onto future generations. Maybe it's the same thing
with designing embroidery, if it's your way of doing something, then
it's your signature and your touch that will mean something to future
generations. When I was at SAM earlier this month, they had some early
American samplers on the wall. My CSB and I got as close to them as
possible without setting off the alarms. They weren't perfect - spacing
was off - kilter, etc, but they were still works of art.

Rachel

Old March 25th 04, 03:06 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Linda Wright" wrote
I had to look her up - and I do like her stuff! The frocks
especially. For those who want to look:

http://www.jennifer-pudney.co.nz/wha...html#craftydog

She has a needlepoint design of a women being overcome by a Devonshire tea
that I want to do one day. The little Drama Queen I did (in one evening)
is one of the first things you see on this page--I added French knots to
mine for texture on the ermine and a few other places. I am taking her
into my LNS next time I'm in, as the owner liked the description, and I
would love to have some more of these terrifc designs near at hand.
DAwne

Old March 25th 04, 07:55 PM
Linda Wright

Hmm - good idea!
Where are you - maybe you can convince your LNS and I can come shop there LOL!

Linda in Columbia, MO
Old March 26th 04, 04:14 AM
Rachel Janzen

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I am taking her
into my LNS next time I'm in, as the owner liked the description, and I
would love to have some more of these terrifc designs near at hand.
DAwne

Where is your LNS? I haven't been to Regina in over 5-6 years, but that
might make a trip worthwhile!

Rachel

Old March 26th 04, 04:18 AM
Rachel Janzen

lula wrote:

Have you done or seen the paper embroidery techniques in scrapbooking?
It's so cool to see the intergration of so many diffrerent techniques
nowadays into all types of crafts and art.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

I haven't, but I believe my cousin has. I like my pages pretty clean,
paper, stickers, maybe some stamps, pictures and journalling. My cousin
enjoys experimenting with some of the other techniques more than I.

Rachel

Old March 26th 04, 06:35 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Rachel , i was facinated to read this note of yours,
esp the opening line .....[ and please don`t be offended by my being
surprised about it]
One of the first thing you learn when you learn scrapbooking (Creative
Memories in particular)

The mere idea that one has or can `learn scrapbooking `, made me dizy
and completely made me wonder ,, i thought we all knew how to remember
, we all did it in our tradional and private way , as a kid i have had
Glue -in albums into which i glued postcards , articles , snippets i
cut out of mags , paper doilies from places i visited where i asked
family or friends and even the waiter to sign it!!!! after glueing it
in i would add some drawings with water color ,, a photo of me and my
Praternal Oma and Papa in switerland i Hid in a double folded page
which i cut into the form of a cabin on the Cable Ban. A desert School
trip , got images of desert views as background ,,,, so Was I book
scrapping ,,,, was i making creative memories ??? i am not putting you
down , nore am i cinycal ,,,,isn`t a bit commercializing , of even
Unifying Memories ,, in a TREND of that is how it is done ??? and what
if one has another idea ,,,, if one does not want or have all this
stuff , is he /she than not Creative ??? and what is this word
creative ??? doing here anyway ,,,, memories are memories, and anybody
does or doesn`t do it , in their own way , why add this trendy word ??
and if it would be called Creative ? won`t people do it ?? if the can
or need to do it ???
Having written this thoughts , i truelly respect appreciate and
understand anyone who wants ... as you put it ... leaving a record of
who you were for the next generations , and yes your words your photos
are all important , all parts of the YOU .......
And here i think i can write something, about memory one makes for
others, who had nothing or nobody to remember.
Over the past years, i have mentioned that i do memorial works to my
family members who have been Murdered. This made many people here ,
make very rude and uncalled remarks. I don`t know why but i am not so
bothered with making my own scrapbook or other memorial, i live my
life here have friends people who know me , people who spoke with me ,
i have planted trees, walked on the ground. i feel i need to memorize
those who haven`t been able to live their life to the fullest. i have
to dig and look and seek their memory , because they are memorised now
only in the LISTS of the dead in continent where they were murdered ,
i think i want their names here. I wish i knew more about them. i look
at mysterious photos , and see faces the look a bit like mine, who are
they , how are we connected, anfd thus i went out almost unknowing on
the long trek, find a trhread here , a torn memory there, and sew them
embroider them weave together. like generations of Jewish Mothers and
daughters embroidered memorial cloth, that could be rolled and taken
with, when the next pogrom , hits their house.
THus if so many in USA put importance in CREATIVE memorizing
themselves , why scold and be rude to those of us who go beyond that
work ??? Esp as my personal / family memorial work touches not only my
family , in my work i memorixe whole families / comminities who
disappeared completly not having anything left behind , not a SCRAP ,
not a grave Nothing ...
with designing embroidery, if it's your way of doing something, then
it's your signature and your touch that will mean something to future
generations.

In my work " Album of Fabrics remembered " i sewed in doilies by some
people of whom i have no photo , but i embroidered their dates [ if i
had had them ] .... and by this a left a thread of them alive ,,,, it
was a good feeling ,
mirjam

Old March 26th 04, 08:58 AM
lula

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your input.

Just thought I'd mention that scrapbooking is now the #1 craft in the US
according to articles in the trade journals.
I'm amazed at the seemingly endless supplies and techniques companies
have created for scrapbookers to choose from.

I wish this had been around years ago as I've kept journals since I was
a teen-ager but mine are all plain writing, never thought about creating
nice layouts and adding interesting bits and pieces from those years.

Right now, I'm not doing scrapbooking as such but working on an "art"
album beginning with Halloween themes where I've done "artistic" layouts
of Halloween motifs from fabrics, paper and other flat items that fit on
a page. Will probably do more pages of whatever other themes catch my
interest.

This is what lead to creating a similar project in needlework using the
inspiration of crazy quilt techniques of embroidery and embellishments,
creating a needlework based collage!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Rachel Janzen wrote:

I haven't, but I believe my cousin has. I like my pages pretty clean,
paper, stickers, maybe some stamps, pictures and journalling. My cousin
enjoys experimenting with some of the other techniques more than I.

Rachel

lula asked:

Old March 27th 04, 01:02 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Rachel , i was facinated to read this note of yours,
esp the opening line .....[ and please don`t be offended by my being
surprised about it]

One of the first thing you learn when you learn scrapbooking (Creative
Memories in particular)

The mere idea that one has or can `learn scrapbooking `, made me dizy
and completely made me wonder ,, i thought we all knew how to remember
, we all did it in our tradional and private way ,

Is it really *that* surprising that some people just
want a little help tackling what many perceive as an
overwhelming project? Are anyone's scrapbooks less valuable
because they choose to follow certain techniques rather than
coming up with all their own? While you may feel you always
knew how to do it in your own way, apparently there are many
others who don't. If they choose to use certain products or
take lessons in certain techniques, I don't see how that's
inappropriate. And maybe someday they'll feel more comfortable
and spread their wings a bit more, and maybe they'll be
perfectly happy with what they're already doing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 27th 04, 02:01 AM
Rachel Janzen

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
[...]

I guess a little explanation to those not in North America is needed. I
guess I shoiuld of said Creative Memories (TM) - because it is a popular
scrapbooking supply company that like Tupperware has home-based party
marketing. By teaching, their specialty is teaching people how to use
photo-safe materials, so that even through you are being creative, the
methods ensure that future generations have the memories you've preserved.

Rachel

Old March 27th 04, 01:29 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Well Ericka , every one gets surprised by something else !!!
When i was in Boston USA , we would go to Yard sales ,, we could not
believe our eyes when we saw people sell ,,,, framed photos of Old
people ,, and would write by it GF or GM = 10 $ ,, the pair 16$ ,,,,
later we found out some people just hang such photos in their houses
top make them more `respectable`
No , i stil think learning how to put one`s memories together ??? is
weird ... commercial meomories ????
What about Spontenous feelings , authencity ,,, ????? where have they
gone . I did notsay i knew how to do it, i jaust said we did it
naturally out of our curiousity , questioning life , looking around us
etc,,,,
mirjam
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:02:02 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

[...]

Carla & Margie..RCB meet up next month?? ~Candace~ Beads 3 November 24th 04 04:31 PM
NO RCB Meet Today :( ~Candace~ Beads 9 August 18th 04 09:54 PM
OT Story: How to meet your best friend starlia Beads 2 May 13th 04 01:21 AM