Lighting recommendation?

Old April 13th 04, 02:10 PM
S & A

Default Lighting recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a good light and bulb that will make stitching in the
evenings easier. I used to use an anglepoise light with a 'blue' daylight
bulb. I did find though that the bulb caused a yellowy shadow on my
material. In the daytime, my bedroom is the best place to stitch as it has
a large window and lets lots of natural light through, but at night, when I
will get most time to stitch, it's not ideal especially if working on fine
materials.

I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference to suppliers.

Sharon

Old April 13th 04, 02:32 PM
Boohoo1971

Sharon, I have no idea if you can get this light bulb in the UK, the "reveal"
bulb by General Electric...GE for short. It is the same color as outside light
and just as good, I think, as one of the stitching lights. Just make sure you
have a lamp that throwns light on your work, and use a white, not cream, not
off-white, a flat white shade. I have a floor lamp with a reveal bulb next to
my bed and when I stitch at night is is just as good as the very expensive
stitching light I use during the day. Boo
Old April 13th 04, 05:09 PM
F.James Cripwell

"S & A" ) writes:
Can anyone recommend a good light and bulb that will make stitching in the
evenings easier. I used to use an anglepoise light with a 'blue' daylight
bulb. I did find though that the bulb caused a yellowy shadow on my
material. In the daytime, my bedroom is the best place to stitch as it has
a large window and lets lots of natural light through, but at night, when I
will get most time to stitch, it's not ideal especially if working on fine
materials.

I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference to suppliers.

Sharon

I dont know if they are available in the UK, but here in Canada they
sell flourescent "energy saving" bulbs, which for the same heat wattage,
give off a lot more light. The point is, that if you have a fixture, like
I have, that is restricted, for heat reasons, to four 60 watt bulbs, I
now have four 29 watt flourescent bulbs, giving me the equivalent of 400
watts of light, instead of only 240 watts equivalent. I find this quite
adequate to stitch by. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old April 13th 04, 07:19 PM
BDS2pds

Ott lite
Old April 14th 04, 04:04 PM
S & A

Well I tried GE for the reveal bulb, but apparently you can only get them in
North America and not in the UK. I'm currently waiting to hear back from
the people who make the Ott-Lite, as I can only find non-UK suppliers.

Thanks to all for the recommendations and advice.

Sharon

"BDS2pds" wrote in message
Ott lite

Old April 15th 04, 02:52 AM
Rhea

I have the ott lite which I love, but I've recently found that the flourescent
mini twists 13 watts work wonderfully in my floor lamp next to the chair that I
stitch in.

Rhea from KY, USA
Old April 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
widgebe

I use a Daylight floorlamp that has an attached magnifier on it. It
has a gooseneck for the light part that can move just about anywhere
and when I'm not stitching I can place it in a straight up position
that blends it into the decor. The extra attachments, the magnifier
and book clip, can be removed. I do use a higher wattage than what
ships with it for my older eyes. Plus I was able to order it through
Joanne's online site using a 40% off coupon and a deal on shipping.
Daylight does have a UK branch on their web site. daylightcompany.com.
NAYY

Widgebe.

--
Remove sillybuggers to reply!

WIP Amid Amish Life (middle panel), Lily Sampler, Berry Bear

Old April 23rd 04, 02:46 PM
S & A

Hi widgebe, thank you for your information, I'll go along and have a look.
I've not found anything suitable so far, and Ott-lite never got back to me
about UK suppliers, so I'm still looking.

Sharon (UK)

Old April 24th 04, 04:22 PM
Boohoo1971

I use a Daylight floorlamp

I have the same Daylight lamp and love it. I've had several other stitching
lights and this is by far the best. I can twist those arms around so the light
and magnifier are perfect and I love the chart holder. The goose necks are
long enough to really get everything in a comfortable place. The base is heavy
enough so it will not tilt over easily as my Ott light did. Boo
Old April 24th 04, 07:09 PM
sheila

Can you direct me to a website where I can see a picture of the Daylight
floorlamp with attached magnifier that you mention?